Housing Assignments Coordinator
Posting Date July 12, 2018
Position Title Housing Assignments Coordinator
Vacancy # V-1496
Department Student Development and Campus Life
Division Student Devel And Campus Life
Reporting directly to the Assistant Director for Residential Support Services, the Housing Assignments Coordinator is responsible for the coordination of room assignments for new and returning students throughout the year including summer. The Housing Assignments Coordinator works closely with many University offices including Admissions, Auxiliary Services, Student Accounts, Financial Aid, Student Development and Campus Life Technical Team, Global Engagement and the Disability Resource Center.
Occupancy Coordination (Residential Management System)
- Provides day-to-day response to room changes, vacancies and reassignment of rooms.
- Ensures accuracy of data by running daily reports and working with the staff to verify the accuracy of data.
- Provides professional, customer service oriented response to students and parents with housing issues.
- Works with Community Directors to identify vacancies immediately.
- Works with the Community Directors in reassigning rooms.
- Manages the cancellation process for contract releases from the residence halls.
- Maintains a working knowledge of software associated with room assignments.
- Coordinates the mechanics of assignments including special interest living communities and living learning communities that are placed within the residence halls. •
- Maintains and processes all wait list applications in order to fill current and future vacancies.
- Works to ensure maximum occupancy by running and reviewing daily reports and completing appropriate follow through with staff members.
- Organizes the mechanics for all new student placements.
- Works with the Director for Student Conduct ensuring sanctions related to housing assignments are updated in a timely fashion.
Housing Assignments System
- Develops a working knowledge of the Housing Assignment System
- Attends the users' conference on the housing system
- Develops and implements all policies, procedures and trainings for staff on the housing system.
- Works in conjunction with the application developer to ensure all information about housing selection online is posted and correct
- Interprets and communicates procedures and regulations pertaining to housing policies to ensure consistent application of these policies throughout the department.
- Assists with all returning students' housing assignment processes.
- Assists with managing the meningitis immunization compliance requirement for all residential students.
- Grows and develops marketing strategies to promote the housing accommodations available at the University including but not limited to the use of contemporary technologies such as Twitter and Facebook.
- Works collaboratively with the Assistant Director of Residence Life and the Director of The Heights in occupancy management for the complex.
- Serves in the absence of the Assistant Director of Residence Life providing data analysis and data reporting as needed.
- Reviews all information in the designated Res Life email account that is located in Housing Assignments Coordinator folder. Serves as backup coordinator of all emails that are received in the account in the absence of the Program Assistant.
- Works in conjunction with the Disability Resource Center on the Emotional Support/ Service Animal policy and procedure. Working directly with the Disability Resource Center on the review and approval of all such animals.
- Working in conjunction with other campus partners, coordinates the One Stop Shop for opening.
- Directly oversees the Golden Ticket process for move-in, coordinating with campus partners regarding information being distributed to students to ensure compliance.
- Working directly to ensure all residents are compliant with the Immunization and Meningitis requirements.
- Supervise the ACUHO-I intern for the summer.
- Serves as the backup contact person for the Guest House
Coordination of Summer Housing and Early Arrivals
- Works collaboratively with the Community Director of The Village and the Housing Services Coordinator to book all students residing in summer housing, including internal groups that house individual employees within the residential facilities.
- Administers the distribution of all summer housing materials to all current students.
- Coordinates collection of data and entry into RMS of all training arrivals, both internal groups and individual students, needing to arrive prior to the fall semester.
- Oversees the transition of students into summer housing and, at the conclusion of summer housing into fall housing, in collaboration with the Community Director, specifically, The Village, and the Housing Services Coordinator.
- Works to develop early arrival process with campus partners, Community Directors, and the Housing Services Coordinator.
- Demonstrates initiative, dependability, a positive attitude, professionalism, sensitivity and ethics.
- Participates in residential life projects as they occur.
- Keeps up-to-date on existing and new technologies relating to activities of the position.
- Participates in general staff meetings.
- Represents Residence Life on numerous University-wide committees.
- Represents Residence Life at all Admissions Open Houses, Red Hawk 411 (New Student Orientation) and Transfer Orientations.
- Reviews and responds daily to emails in the Res Life general email account
- In the absence of the Program Assistant for Residential Services, manages the Residence Life general email account and the online helper.
- Serves as a member of on-call staff rotation.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Management retains the right to add or change job duties at any time.
Qualifications & Requirements
- Bachelor's degree from an accredited college/university.
- Two years professional residence life or student affairs experience.
- Excellent time management skills plus a strong proficiency in written and oral communication,
- Master's degree from an accredited college/university in higher education administration, student personnel services or related field
- Live-in Residence Life experience
- Proficiency in the use of database computer technologies, e.g., RMS, and related report writing is required.
Send cover letter and resume to
(include vacancy # if above)
When creating your profile, you will need to combine your resume and cover letter into one single document (PDF or MS Word).
Organizational Marketing Statement:
Building on a distinguished 105-year history, Montclair State University is proud to be a leading institution of higher education in New Jersey. The university's six colleges and schools serve more than 19,000 undergraduate and graduate students in 300 majors, minors, concentrations and certificate programs. Situated on a beautiful, 250-acre suburban campus just 14 miles from New York City, Montclair State combines the instructional and research resources of a large public university in a dynamic, sophisticated, and diverse academic environment.
Montclair State University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action institution with a strong commitment to diversity. Additional information can be found on the MSU website at www.montclair.edu.
AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY/AFFIRMATIVE ACTION INSTITUTION