DEAN SCHOOL OF SOCIAL WORK
DEAN SCHOOL OF SOCIAL WORK
Posting Number: SRGV3502
Number of Vacancies: 1
Location: Edinburg, Texas
Department: College of Health Affairs / Social Work
Scope of Job:
The University of Texas Rio Grande Valley (UTRGV) seeks an innovative, experienced academic leader to serve as the Founding Dean, School of Social Work. This individual must be committed to promoting and fostering excellence in teaching, research, professional practice, and service. This is an extraordinary opportunity for a leader with prior administrative experience to build and expand the current degree programs. Reporting to the Executive Vice President for Health Affairs, the Social Work Dean will work collaboratively with other UTRGV schools/colleges to develop interdisciplinary opportunities for teaching and research that will help address the unique health care priorities for the region.
Description of Duties:
The Founding Social Work Dean will play an instrumental role in implementing the vision and programs that will continue UTRGV’s important role in enhancing the health care available to the population of South Texas. This is an exciting time in the history of the School of Social Work to build upon its rich tradition and prepare for the future where technology and new methodologies are changing the landscape of health care delivery and social work education.
The Founding Dean of UTRGV’s School of Social Work will have a deep commitment to students and their success, in addition to a record of accomplishment with building strong and abiding interpersonal relationships.
• The position will be instrumental in recruiting, promoting, and retaining outstanding faculty, students and staff to the School. The Dean is expected to recommend to the Executive Vice President for Health Affairs (EVPHA) existing programs that should be expanded as well as new programs for consideration and investment;
• Involvement in an active research program or history of successful program of funded research;
• Establish appropriate mechanisms to select, support and retain highly qualified faculty, department chairs, administrators and other staff, and acts to ensure their professional success, maximizing their ability to contribute to the School and UTRGV;
• Manage an academic organization and work effectively and collaboratively with community leaders, interdisciplinary professionals, and colleagues in a complex university environment;
• Grow the School’s resource base by leading efforts in raising funds from interested donors for endowments, to support scholarships, professorships, chairs and programs;
• Work well at all levels in a complex and diverse environment, fostering a spirit of collaboration with faculty, colleagues, and administrators;
• Show continued commitment to enhancing racial, ethnic and gender diversity in the student body and faculty; demonstrated commitment to fostering a diverse and inclusive environment; and,
• Engage effectively with leadership in state and national social work organizations (e.g., Society for Social Work Research, National Association of Social Workers, and Council on Social Work Education).
The Dean reports directly to the EVPHA and works collaboratively with the Dean of the School of Medicine, Dean of the School of Nursing, and the Dean of the College of Health Affairs and with other senior leadership at UTRGV, external audiences, including alumni and professional organizations.
The School of Social Work faculty (15) and staff (4).
Doctorate in Social Work or a related field from an accredited University. Credentials that merit appointment at the rank of Professor in Social Work.
Eligibility to obtain appropriate licensure in Texas.
• National reputation as an academic leader who has a demonstrated record of achievement.
• Strong, sustained record of senior leadership and administrative experience in support of students and faculty in teaching, service and scholarship excellence gained within an academic setting; Successful experience managing budgets in an academic institution and forecasting School needs;
• Experience in working with administration, faculty, staff, students and stakeholders to develop and implement a comprehensive strategic plan and vision for achievement to address market demands and position the School as a continued leader in social work education;
• Ability to work with the faculty and staff to articulate and implement a vision for Social Work; provide leadership, advocate for and drive strategies aimed at achieving the School’s mission and vision; and establish the School as the source of scientific advances and best practices in social work;
• Ability to thoughtfully and effectively manage the budget and allocation of School financial resources;
• Ability to establish appropriate mechanisms to recruit, support and retain highly-qualified students in the MSW and PhD/DSW programs, with particular attention to students from underrepresented minority groups;
• Demonstrated sustained success in building partnerships and relationships across academic disciplines, administrative units, and with external communities;
• Outstanding judgment and the capacity to set and communicate priorities and to lead the School forward;
• Experience implementing interprofessional educational activities;
• Demonstrate a high level of personal and professional commitment, enthusiasm, integrity, and pride in the values of the University, the School, and the social work profession; and,
• Ability to effectively manage numerous programs and activities within the School, including the promotion of pedagogical excellence in teaching and curriculum, and the encouragement of innovative clinical and community-based practice models.
Experience in establishing and growing successful MSW and Doctorate programs;
Needs to be able to successfully perform all required duties.
Physical Capabilities: N/A
Employment Category: Full-Time
Posted Salary: Commensurate with Experience
Position Available Date: 09/01/2018
Grant Funded Position: No
If Yes, Provide Grant Expiration Date:
UTRGV is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer that strives to hire without regard to race, color, national origin, sex, age, religion, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, genetic information or veteran status. UTRGV takes affirmative action to hire and advance women, minorities, protected veterans and individuals with disabilities.
Special Instructions to Applicants:
Human Resources will not be held responsible for redacting any confidential information from the documents you attach with your application. The confidential information includes the following:
*Date of Birth
Please make sure that you omit this information prior to submission. We are advising that Human Resources will be forwarding your application to the department as per your submission. The University of Texas Rio Grande Valley reserves the right to discontinue accepting applications prior to the stated close date of this position, after meeting the posting requirement of three (3) calendar days.
If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact us at (956) 665-2451 and/or email@example.com.
UTRGV is a distributed location institution and working location is subject to change based on need.
All UTRGV employees are required to have a criminal background check (CBC). Incomplete applications will not be considered.
Substitutions to the above requirements must have prior approval from the Chief Human Resources Officer.
To apply, visit https://careers.utrgv.edu/postings/18582