Assistant Director of Multicultural Recruitment
Assistant Director of Multicultural Recruitment
Enrollment Management – Admissions
Louisiana State University
The assistant director of multicultural recruitment position within Louisiana State University’s office of admissions will play a key collaborative role in advancing the university and meeting the enrollment objectives. The individual, with general oversight from the Associate Director of Diversity Recruitment, will manage the efforts focused on multicultural student recruitment, specifically Asian, African American, Native America Indian, and multi-ethnic students. Identify likely sources of multicultural students (high schools and community-based organizations) and cultivate relationships with those sources. Develop and implement on-campus and off-campus programs designed to promote LSU to multicultural prospective students, with a focus on Asian, African-American, multi-ethnic, and American Indian' students. In addition, this position will also design and implement focused efforts to yield multicultural students. This position is also responsible for the management of an assigned recruiting territory, including articulating LSU’s message and maintaining communication with prospective students and families, and participating in the holistic application review process.
Multicultural Recruitment Management (30%)
• Responsible for multicultural recruitment specifically African American, Asian, Native American Indian, Pacific Islander, and multi-ethnic sub-groups.
• Coordinate African-American recruitment with recruitment staff in assigned markets.
• Identify likely sources of African-American students (high schools, community and civic groups) and cultivate relationships with those sources.
• Develop and implement on-campus and off-campus programs designed to promote LSU to an African-American audience.
• Develop and maintain relationships with on-campus departments and organizations involved in outreach to the African-American population.
• Supervises a newly formed student recruitment group focused on increasing the overall diversity of the incoming class.
• Recruits and engages the alumni/parent of color within volunteer program to increase coverage in key recruitment territories.
Territory Recruitment (30%)
• Represents the university and its programs to the general public at in-state and out-of-state recruitment events, including high school and college visits, college fairs, visits to schools and community-based organizations, receptions, interviews, information sessions, and presentations.
• Assists in data analysis when planning trips to assigned territory/geo-markets.
• Builds and cultivates key relationships and partnerships with constituents, such as: secondary school communities, community-based organizations, Alumni, and professional organizations.
• Performs detailed and personalized outreach to prospective students such as: phone calling, emailing, and other communications as needed.
• Assists in executing all large on-campus and off-campus recruitment and yield events.
• Participates in transfer admission and recruitment activities as needed.
Admissions Counseling (20%)
• Counsels prospective undergraduate applicants and their families regarding LSU academic programs, extracurricular opportunities, admissions policies and procedures. This interaction may include phone, in-person, or written contacts. In-person contacts may include group presentations in addition to individual interviews.
• In all counseling situations, employee must be thoroughly knowledgeable about LSU academic and extracurricular opportunities, and clearly articulate advantages of the LSU undergraduate experience. Further, the employee must be accurate in describing admissions policies, criteria and procedures.
• Individual must be responsive to prospective students’ concerns and needs by providing excellent customer service.
Admissions Evaluation and Decision Making (20%)
• Assists with all phases of the application processing, review and admission decision.
• An ability to complete timely review of applications from an assigned set of high schools and assists others as needed. File review activities include monitoring files for completeness, ensuring accurate and fair decisions, fielding questions from applicants, and notifying the secondary readers of significant exceptions requiring review.
• Bachelor’s Degree
• Three or more years of progressive experience in college admission, particularly with a demonstrated ability to recruit underrepresent student populations.
• Master’s degree.
• Knowledge of best practices in student recruitment
• Strong team orientation, effective interpersonal skills, and superior written and verbal communication skills
• Demonstrated ability to holistically evaluate applications
• Experience with CRM system and demonstrated ability to leverage technology.
• Demonstrated commitment to data-driven decision-making, including effective analytical skills and proven results in achieving objectives and goals.
Must be willing to travel and work nights/weekends especially during peak periods. Uniform may be required. Must possess a valid driver’s license. Due to the nature of the position and/or position responsibilities this position shall be subject to drug/alcohol testing in accordance with University Policy Statement 67.
As with all LSU employees, Assistant Directors have an obligation to assist students in the acquisition of necessary services. Should a student appear in need of or seek assistance with issues of an emotional, behavioral, or mental health related matter they should be referred to the proper service within the Student Health Center. In situations where the student creates an impression that they are a danger to themselves or others, the advisor should immediately contact the Care Team, the Dean of Students or the appropriate law enforcement agency. The employee outside of those rights contained within FERPA should create no impression of client or patient confidentiality.
The employee may be issued University-provided mobile devices to be used for business purposes only. If one is issued, this position requires the employee to possess a personal cell phone.
Additional Position Information:
Background Check - An offer of employment is contingent on a satisfactory pre-employment background check.
Benefits - LSU offers outstanding benefits to eligible employees and their dependents including health, life, dental, and vision insurance; flexible spending accounts; retirement options; annual and sick leave; 14 paid holidays; wellness benefits; tuition exemption; training and development opportunities; employee discounts and more!
LSU is committed to diversity and is an equal opportunity/equal access employer
HCM Contact Information:
Questions or concerns can be directed to the LSU Human Resources Management Office at 225-578-8200 or emailed [email protected].