Associate Director of Diversity Recruitment
Associate Director of Diversity Recruitment
Enrollment Management – Admissions
Louisiana State University
The associate director of diversity recruitment position within Louisiana State University’s office of admissions will play a key collaborative role in advancing the university and meeting the enrollment objectives. The individual will provide strategic advice and drive the development and implementation of the student recruitment strategy that is focused on students who are underrepresented in higher education, specifically first generation, low-income, transfer and students of color. The diversity recruitment strategy shall be synergetic with the overall recruitment efforts that is innovative, consistent and measurable, and reflects overall university enrollment goals and objectives. This intentional and purposeful recruitment strategy will include realigning practices that focus on attracting highly talented students of color students.
This position will also oversee and monitor the implementation of diversity focused events to recruit, select, and yield underrepresented students while leading and managing a team of high performing admission counselors, assistant directors and student employment groups. The individual is to assist the director in strategic planning appropriate action plans as it pertains to diversity initiatives.
Strategic Planning and Leadership (35%)
• Assists in managing day-to-day responsibilities of the department.
• Serves as a member of the admissions leadership team.
• Provides strategic advice and drives the development and implementation of comprehensive student recruitment strategy for underrepresented groups that is consistent with overall university enrollment goals.
• Alerts director to issues which require assistance.
• Coordinates with other associate directors to collaboratively solve office-wide issues.
• Provides leadership within this collaborative environment to identify short and long-term planning.
• Identifies threats and opportunities to meet departmental outreach and enrollment goals.
• Supervises a team of admissions professionals and new student employment group, including admissions counselors focused on Latino recruitment and multicultural assistant directors.
• Maintains awareness of new trends, opportunities and creative strategies related to underrepresented populations.
• Develops and maintains relationship with key internal and external constituents.
• Prepares assessment reports, end-of-year reports for marketing and outreach initiatives.
• Prepares and manages travel budget; ensures most cost-effective for diversity recruitment travel.
• Serves on committees, councils, working groups dealing with undergraduate admission and student recruitment as assigned.
• Directs office-wide initiatives to develop and reinforce cultural competencies.
Diversity Recruitment Team Leadership (25%)
• Provides leadership and manages the day-to-day responsibilities of the diversity team.
• Identifies emerging problems and implements solutions.
• Manages the effective implementation and execution of a data driven recruitment plan that includes the following goals:
1) To realign practices and develop innovative strategies that focus on highly talented students of color, transfer students, first generation and low-income students.
2) To ensure a comprehensive approach to maintain and enhance our reach and relationships with community-based organizations in primary markets
3) To develop and implement strategies for recruitment initiatives for on campus events that drive more underrepresented students to LSU.
Campus Programming (20%)
• Provides oversight of the development and execution of cutting-edge campus programing to recruit, enroll, and transition underrepresented students to the main campus.
• Fosters strong relationships with Community Based Organizations (CBOs) and other outreach organizations.
• In conjunction with campus visit colleagues, assess campus visit experience for all prospective students from underrepresent populations.
• Assists in developing campus-wide understanding and engagement in both recruitment, evaluation, yielding and transitioning of underrepresented students.
• Collaborates with LSU’s Office of Diversity to ensure a seamless transition for students enrolling at the institution.
Admissions Counseling (20%)
• Counsels prospective undergraduate applicants and their families regarding LSU academic programs, extracurricular opportunities, admissions policies and procedures. This interaction may include phone, in-person, or written contacts. In-person contacts may include group presentations in addition to individual interviews.
• In all counseling situations, employee must be thoroughly knowledgeable about LSU academic and extracurricular opportunities, and clearly articulate advantages of the LSU undergraduate experience. Further, the employee must be accurate in describing admissions policies, criteria and procedures.
• Individual must be responsive to prospective students’ concerns and needs by providing excellent customer service.
• Bachelor’s degree.
• Five or more years of progressive experience in college admission, particularly with a demonstrated ability to recruit underrepresent student populations.
• Master’s degree.
• Knowledge of best practices in student recruitment
• Clear competency of diversity and the educational benefits of a diverse learning environment
• Strong team orientation, effective interpersonal skills, and superior written and verbal communication skills
• Demonstrated ability to holistically evaluate applications
• Experience with CRM system and demonstrated ability to leverage technology.
• Demonstrated commitment to data-driven decision-making, including effective analytical skills and proven results in achieving objectives and goals.
Must be willing to travel and work nights/weekends especially during peak periods. Uniform may be required. Must possess a valid driver’s license. Due to the nature of the position and/or position responsibilities this position shall be subject to drug/alcohol testing in accordance with University Policy Statement 67.
As with all LSU employees, Associate Directors have an obligation to assist students in the acquisition of necessary services. Should a student appear in need of or seek assistance with issues of an emotional, behavioral, or mental health related matter they should be referred to the proper service within the Student Health Center. In situations where the student creates an impression that they are a danger to themselves or others, the advisor should immediately contact the Care Team, the Dean of Students or the appropriate law enforcement agency. The employee outside of those rights contained within FERPA should create no impression of client or patient confidentiality.
The employee may be issued University-provided mobile devices to be used for business purposes only. If one is issued, this position requires the employee to possess a personal cell phone.
Additional Position Information:
Background Check - An offer of employment is contingent on a satisfactory pre-employment background check.
Benefits - LSU offers outstanding benefits to eligible employees and their dependents including health, life, dental, and vision insurance; flexible spending accounts; retirement options; annual and sick leave; 14 paid holidays; wellness benefits; tuition exemption; training and development opportunities; employee discounts and more!
LSU is committed to diversity and is an equal opportunity/equal access employer
HCM Contact Information:
Questions or concerns can be directed to the LSU Human Resources Management Office at 225-578-8200 or emailed [email protected].