Manager of Financial Operations
Mills College encourages diversity in hiring and particularly welcomes applications and nominations from women, gender non-binary individuals, and minorities. Mills College seeks to recruit and retain a diverse workforce as a reflection of our commitment to equity, inclusion, and social justice and our desire to maintain the excellence of our faculty. In so doing, we offer our students not only the opportunity to learn about varied disciplines but to engage with diverse perspectives and ways of knowing and learning. For more information, please visit https://www.mills.edu/
About Mills College:
Located in Oakland, California, in the heart of the San Francisco Bay Area, Mills College is a liberal arts college for women and gender non-binary students, with graduate programs for all genders. Consistently ranked one of the top master's universities and one of the best value colleges in the West by U.S. News & World Report, Mills also has been named one of the Best Colleges in the nation by The Princeton Review. The Mills experience is distinguished by small, interactive classes, one-on-one attention from exceptional faculty, a culture of creative experimentation, and cutting-edge interdisciplinary learning opportunities which empower students to make a statement in their careers and communities. As one of the most diverse liberal arts colleges in the country, we have a strong record of academic success with first-generation students, students of color, Latinx students, LGBTQ students, and other underrepresented students. Mills College has recently become a Hispanic Serving Institution. Applicants with expertise and experience in supporting and promoting success for Latina/o students are encouraged to apply.
Reports To: Associate Vice-President for Finance & Assistant Treasurer
Supervises: AP Accountant II and Accounting Assistant I
Summary of Position:
The Manager of Financial Operations supervises the operations, activities and customer service of the business office (Finance Office) including supervision of the accounts payable specialist (AP Accountant II), the main college cashier (Accounting Assistant I) and student employees who process journal entries, budget adjustments and perform other clerical accounting duties. In addition, the Manager of Financial Operations performs responsible and complex duties regarding college finance in such areas as accounting, banking, oversight over student accounts receivable accounting, financial analysis, reporting, and training and budgeting, which require significant technical skills.
Essential Job Functions:
- Supervise the operations and activities of the business office including accounts payable, cashiering and the related accounting, banking, and customer assistance; schedule and monitor work flow; provide training to new employees, including students; supervise and participate in the performance evaluation of assigned staff.
- Ensure the accurate and timely management of accounts receivable aging and monthly reconciliation of subledger to G/L.
- Participate in interviewing and selecting employees, including student employees, and recommending disciplinary action, if needed; coordinate and provide leadership on student staffing and training issues.
- Meet, communicate with and train college personnel regarding expenditure policies, coding, reading budget reports, using banner finance, using Concur on-line travel booking and expense reporting system; assist departments with operational accounting issues and budget questions and reporting needs during the month as needed. Conduct monthly college wide finance training sessions along with other Finance personnel as needed.
- Supervise cashier function on a daily basis; provide training and guidance as necessary. Balance and reconcile cash on hand in general ledger at the end of the month for all cashier activity including cash in drawer and cash in vault; track all outstanding cash/check advances and balance to the general ledger.
- Oversee accurate recording of all transactions that are made using CASHNet cashiering. This currently includes: Main Station, Mail & Copy Center Station, Events Station, Housing & Dining Station and Collection Station. Oversee proper recording of all e-payment transactions and SMARTPAY transactions. Reconcile all clearing accounts associated with cash entries, on-line student payments and Elavon credit card cash receipts. Record credit card fees and ensure all transactions are recorded and reconciled.
- Oversee cash handling throughout campus. Train campus personnel on following cash handling policies & procedures and make suggestions to Associate VP of Finance for areas of improvement.
- Supervise accounts payable function on a daily basis; provide training and guidance as necessary; oversee annual 1099 reporting and filing; assist Accounts Payable Specialist with the review of disbursement documents and determination of 1099 status; review weekly disbursement report prior to check run; review 1099 control report on a regular basis to ensure accuracy and completeness of 1099 payment records; oversee the electronic refund process and reconcile associated clearing account.
- Update and maintain cash flow detail spreadsheet for the operating, payroll and Stafford loan and Cal Grant accounts; initiate and approve wire transfers via online banking; assist in monitoring operating cash balances. Record all incoming and outgoing cash transactions. Work closely with College GL Accountant to ensure accurate and timely recording of all transactions.
- Review and complete postings of all gift feeds processed by the Office of Institutional Advancement (OIA); work with OIA to reconcile gifts to the college on a quarterly and annual basis; and communicate OIA staff daily to ensure timely and accurate reporting of gifts. Reconcile all associated clearing accounts used in gift processing.
- Process the sale of gifted securities.
- Oversee Travel Policy and review travel expenses; administer College travel booking program including creating profiles, assigning travel permissions, and providing college wide training and assistance.
- Administer College credit card program including processing applications for cards, managing web based administration system including establishing purchasing controls and limits on cards, assigning web access to card holders and monitoring card holder compliance to college policies and procedures.
- Manage relationship with college office supply vendor and administer web based procurement of office supplies by college departments, including establishing controls over ordering by users.
- Prepare and file college sales and use tax return; act as lead contact for State of California, Board of Equalization audits.
- Assist with various financial analysis and internal reporting, including annual financial statement and A-133 audit preparation and coordination.
- Initiate and process journal entries and finance entry uploads; apply changes as requested by other departments, oversee the input of and review all journal entries and budget adjustments; recommend and process budget adjustments; prepare monthly college budget reports and oversee assembly by students.
- Trained as back up for post award grants and contracts, which includes; running monthly deferred process, performing on-line draws and quarterly reporting using DOE and NSF websites or sending external invoices and doing appropriate accounting entries.
- Assist with the implementation, testing and maintenance of Banner finance. Work closely with Finance Information Systems Administrator and IT personnel when necessary to explore new Banner functions or to resolve complications.
- Work with Mail and Copy Center to record and reconcile stamp inventory, meter inventory and stationary inventory. Ensure sales tax is accrued and recorded on over the counter sales.
- Implement policies and procedures; make recommendations to improve productivity, quality and efficient delivery of services; participate in the development of policies and procedures.
- Establish and maintain effective and productive working relationships within a diverse and multicultural environment.
- Establish and maintain an effective customer service orientation towards all persons contacted during the course of job performance. Work with staff as a team leader to provide high quality, efficient and exceptional service.
- Maintain safe work conditions and comply with established safety policies, practices, procedures and requirements.
- Perform related duties as assigned.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Thorough knowledge of accounting methods and procedures related to specialized accounts such as those involving cash receipts and accounts payable, including 1099 filing.
- Thorough knowledge of banking practices and procedures.
- Knowledge of electronic cash receipt and disbursement processing, including recording transactions into the GL and reconciliation.
- Knowledge of integrated financial software packages with preference for Banner, a SunGard Higher Education ERP.
- Proficiency in interpreting and translating regulatory requirements into proposed new/revised policy and procedures.
- Knowledge of principles and practices of supervision and training.
- Knowledge of modern office practices, procedures and equipment.
- Knowledge of record-keeping techniques.
- Good oral and written communications skills.
- Demonstrated problem solving, decision-making and analytical skills.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite, specifically Excel and MS Access.
- Ability to supervise the operations and activities of assigned operational area and personnel.
- Ability to exhibit strong customer service orientation for all levels of College constituencies and members of the public.
- Ability to take appropriate steps to promote and sustain effective working relationships within a diverse multicultural environment.
- Understanding of Departmental goals and how they fit with College-wide goals.
- Proven ability to remain flexible to accommodate changing operational needs.
- Bachelor's Degree in accounting, finance or related field required; may be substituted by sufficient years' experience in essential job duties.
- 5+ years overseeing the operations of a business office function (preferably in a higher education, or non-profit environment), including accounts payable, cashiering and banking and supervision of others.
- The incumbent will often spend long hours sitting at and using the computer to retrieve, enter, manage, and review data.
- Multitasking, while providing customer services, is required for this position.
- Numerous interruptions can make completing tasks difficult.
- Upset or difficult customers could cause stress.
- There are a number of deadlines associated with this position, which may cause stress.
This is an exempt, full-time position with an FTE of 1.0. Salary is commensurate with experience and includes an excellent benefits package including medical/dental/vision/life/LTD insurance, 403(b) retirement plan plus mills college match after 6-month qualifying period, and 22 days of vacation per year, 12 sick days and 10 paid holidays annually. Staff members also receive free admission to campus events, use of the pool, fitness center, and tennis courts. Tuition remission is also available after an introductory period. Voluntary benefits include: pet insurance, long-term care insurance, legal-assistance insurance, computer purchase discounts and cell/home phone service discounts.
Mills College does not permit discrimination based on pregnancy, childbirth or related medical conditions, race, religious creed, color, national origin or ancestry, physical or mental disability, medical condition, marital status, age, sex, sexual orientation, or gender identity. For more information on Mills' non-discrimination policy, please go tohttp://www.mills.edu/administration/administrative_offices/policies/nondiscrimination.php.
To apply, please submit the following at hhttp://mills.interviewexchange.com/jobofferdetails.jsp?JOBID=104724
- cover letter and
- contact information for three references
Review of applicants will begin immediately; applications will be accepted until the position is filled.
Copyright ©2017 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency