Kitchen Utility Worker - Dish Room and Floors
* This is a 9 month, regular, full-time position. The working hours are 40 hours per week, 5 days per week, or variable schedule based on business needs.
This position is responsible for washing dishes in the dish room, sanitation and breakdown of the dish machine and dish room, sweeping and mopping floors, walk-ins and storerooms. Lifting up to 50 pounds on a regular basis. Sanitation is a key element of this job.
DESCRIPTION OF DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Reporting to the Director of Operations performs the following essential duties and responsibilities:
- Work with staff to set up the dish machine before the start of the meal service, wash dishes in the dish room by hand and keep tray return cleared during the meal service. Break down and clean the dish machine at the conclusion of the meal service.
- Restock small wares in the servery/kitchen as needed. Assist in the dining area as needed.
- Work with utility staff to maintain the dish room; return kitchen and catering supplies to assigned areas, re-stock dishes in the server.
- Sweep and mop the servery and kitchen floors. Remove, clean, and replace floor mats throughout the dining hall by hand as needed and at closing. Complete a thorough cleaning of all floors at closing each day.
- Empty kitchen trash cans and ensure loading dock remains clear of spills and debris.
- Put away deliveries, rotating stock each time and organizing the walk-in coolers. Breakdown all boxes and separate for recycling.
- Restock and maintain Beverage Station including, cups, lids, mugs, condiments, juice, coffee, soda, milk and specialty beverages. Fill ice at stations before the start of the meal service and as needed.
- Keep the dish room area organized and sanitary, being aware of potential cross-contamination hazards.
- Final cleaning of all dishes, sanitation and breakdown of dish machine at the end of day and final sweep and mopping of the dish room. Final emptying of all trash.
- Assist in restocking to-go items at the cashier desk.
- Other duties may be assigned as appropriate. This includes, but is not limited to, daily, weekly, monthly cleaning, washing pots and pans by hand in a three compartment sink and cross training as time permits.
- Follow proper sanitation directives as established by the Health Department. Comply with internal policies and procedures as they apply to food sanitation and safety within the Dining Hall department. This includes, but is not limited to, keeping work area clean, properly/safely using equipment and keeping the floor free of food/liquid that may be a potential safety hazard, and adhering to the agreed work schedule.
OTHER ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS:
- Regular attendance is an essential function of this position.
- Ability to take and follow directions.
- Ability to work cooperatively with others.
- Ability to receive and respond appropriately to constructive criticism.
- Ability to display a positive attitude.
- Ability to multitask.
EDUCATION: Any combination of education and experience that provides the required knowledge, skills and abilities.
EXPERIENCE: Candidate must have experience working in a fast paced commercial kitchen.
LICENSES: A California food handler card is required.
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS: Must be able to stand, walk, bend, climb, push, pull, stoop, twist, stretch, squat, reach and lift up to 50 lbs. from floor to waist level without assistance. Must be able to work on feet for prolonged periods of time.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, and ABILITIES: Individual must possess knowledge, skills, and ability to be able to successfully perform the essential functions of the position, or be able to explain or demonstrate how the essential functions will be performed, with or without reasonable accommodation, using some other combination of knowledge skills and abilities.
- Knowledge of food sanitation policies and procedures is required.
- Must have experience working in a fast paced commercial kitchen using commercial kitchen utility equipment.
- Take initiative in performance of your work tasks, and be willing to assist others as needed.
- Be respectful and courteous to coworkers, customers, visitors, managers and others. Communicate clearly and professionally.
- Must be able to establish cooperative working relationships and work well with minimal supervision.
- Complete work with a sense of urgency, accuracy, and attention to detail.
- Must be able to satisfactorily understand and follow job related instructions in English, both orally and written.
- Use organizational and time management skills.
- Deploy professional skills in collaboration with colleagues, to best promote the College’s strategic interests and provide the best quality on campus food service.
REQUIRED HOURS: The regular hours for this full-time position line up with a 9 month academic calendar. The regular hours for this full time position are 40 hours per week, 5 days per week, or variable schedule based on business needs. Overtime, holiday, weekend and evening work hours will be required. Regular hours may vary due to needs of the College or department. Must be willing to work a flexible schedule.
CLASSIFICATION AND STATUS:
- This is a 9 month position.
- This is a non-exempt position.
- This is a regular, full-time position.
- This is a benefits-eligible position.
IPEDS Category Job Code: 35-0000 Food Preparation and Serving Related Occupations
Physical Requirements: Heavy (up to 50 lbs.)
SUPERVISORY RESPONSIBILITY: None
GROOMING AND APPEARANCE: The Claremont Colleges seek to maintain a neat and professional image at all times. A uniform is required and will be provided.
BACKGROUND CHECK: The successful candidate will be required to undergo a full consumer background check. This position requires the successful completion of a post-offer physical agility test. Employment is contingent on the satisfactory results of the aforementioned, in addition to compliance with requirements cited in this job description.
ADA/OSHA: This job description defines the essential or fundamental job duties of this position. It is assumed that employees hired for this position can perform the essential functions of this job without imposing risk of substantial harm to the health or safety of themselves or others. It may also include marginal functions, generally defined within Title 1 of the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) and the Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA).
DISCLAIMER: This job description has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees within this classification. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities and qualifications required of employees assigned to this position. When duties and responsibilities change and develop, the College will review this job description and make changes of business necessity.