Category:: Administrative / Staff
Department:: 01-53-5355-VP Advancement
Locations:: Longmeadow, MA
Posted:: Jul 12, '18
Type:: Full-Time Salaried (Exempt)
About Bay Path University:
When Bay Path opened its doors to students in downtown Springfield, MA in 1897, it had a very clear goal: to provide a practical, affordable, and career-oriented education to meet the needs of companies, organizations, and communities. From the beginning, Bay Path prided itself on being entrepreneurial, constantly pushing the boundaries of the academic experience to fit the student. To start them on the road of success. We still do.
Today, that spirit and philosophy is more important than ever in higher education. At Bay Path, it's not just the number and breadth of undergraduate and graduate programs that defines us-and we have many-but it is our ability to connect the classroom to learning to leadership to experience to career that is at the core of what we do best. We know the work that needs to be done.
Bay Path University, an independent and not-for-profit institution, was named Among Fastest Growing Baccalaureate Colleges by the Chronicle of Higher Education Almanac, and is a member of the Women's College Coalition. With a main campus in Longmeadow, MA and four satellite locations, (East Longmeadow, Sturbridge, Concord, Springfield), Bay Path offers undergraduate, graduate (for women and men) degrees, and professional certificates.
We're committed to preparing our students to navigate a constantly changing world. Whether it is one of our innovative academic programs, groundbreaking online learning platform, or through our Women as Empowered Learners and Leaders initiative, we educate our students in ways that will help them to grow, learn to adapt, and always to flourish. Be part of the change.
We invite you to visit our website at www.baypath.edu where you can learn more about Bay Path University.
- Position Code: DEVAS
- Job Type: Full-timeStaff
- Supervisor: Vice President for Development and Planned Giving
- Schedule/Hours: Monday through Friday, 8:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.;some evenings and weekends required.
- Job Location: Longmeadow, MA
The Development Associate serves as office coordinator and provides a variety of high-level administrative, financial and communications support for the Development and Planned Giving Office, particularly for the Vice President and Major Giving Officers. The Development Associate will assist the Associate Director of Advancement with the department budget, expenses, donation income, yearly goals, budget planning, and expense tracking. The Development Associate must exercise careful, independent judgment and in many cases will function as the public representative of the Development and Planned Giving Office. This position will have a major role assisting with events, and may assist with electronic newsletters, social media, and other event-related promotion.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Assist in managing the calendars and correspondences for the Vice President and Major Gift Officers.
- Provides background research as needed for projects and Department staff requests.
- Prepares presentations in a variety of formats.
- Assists with strategic planning, Annual Appeal, and other yearly campaigns.
- Assist with planning and facilitating alumni, donor cultivation, and stewardship events including guest lists, RSVPs, and logistics. Supports the efforts of the Vice President and Development Office staff to execute such events.
- Develop and manage the process for solicitation of potential sponsors throughout the year, collaborating regularly with gift officers, the Office of Strategic Alliances, and other University staff/faculty when appropriate.
- Solicit various constituents, including businesses, foundations, and individuals, for event sponsorships and gifts ranging from $250 to $50,000+.
- Respond to ad hoc requests from donors, fellow employees, and the community as needed.
- Provides community outreach by attending events as a representative of the Development Department.
- Manage all post-event stewardship, recognition, and acknowledgement, with support from Advancement Services.
- Assists in Annual Fund, Alumni, and other mailings, including mailing list creation, coordination with Marketing Department and/or outside designers, acting as a liaison with mail houses, etc.
- Maintains master list of naming opportunities related to both capital and annual fund campaigns.
- Assists in the preparation of proposals, bequests, and gift agreements.
- Assists the Alumni Manager with the creation and disbursement of electronic newsletters.
- May assist in posting on and/or developing a plan for social media in relation to Development and Events.
- Performs routine orders of supplies, and ensures expenses are appropriate.
- Assists in monitoring department expenses throughout the fiscal year.
- Assists with preparing the department budget.
- Compiles reports of fundraising progress and activities for publication and distribution to internal and external audiences.
- In consultation with the Division of Finance and Administration and Senior Director of Advancement, develop budgets, provide oversight of the expenditures, monitor and update program budgets as plans develop for department events. Create final forecasts, reconcile budgets to ensure all charges are accounted for, accurate, and explained properly.
- Provide timely follow-up reports and data analysis on event attendees and overall success.
- Attend trainings as needed/required.
- Perform any other duties or tasks as assigned by the University.
- Has no responsibility for the direct supervision of other employees; does assist department volunteers and work study students.
- Work evenings and weekends as needed.
- Travel locally as needed.
- Associate or Bachelor's degree desirable.
- One (1) to three (3) years of relevant experience.
- Two (2) or more years of nonprofit organization experience preferred.
- Experience with development, fundraising, and annual appeal campaigns preferred.
- Must be proficient with Microsoft Office Suite.
- Highly motivated and energetic; demonstrate a high degree of good judgment, problem solving and resourcefulness; have a commitment to quality and high expectations; and excellent customer service skills.
- Ability to manage multiple responsibilities and deadlines in a fast-paced and demanding environment, while exercising a high degree of diplomacy, discretion and creative problem solving.
- Superior time management and organizational skills, including the ability to prioritize multiple projects.
- Ability to utilize the Internet for biographical and informational searches.
- Working knowledge of database technology is desirable.
- Experience managing department budgets.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills, with the ability to be assertive and persuasive.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, including one-to-one, group settings, and phone etiquette with diverse constituencies.
- A strong understanding of technology and social media is required.
- Ability to work with confidential and/or sensitive information with discretion.
- Strong commitment to providing service to donors and organizational and community leaders.
- Must possess exquisite attention to detail and also understand long-term priorities and long-range strategies.
- Able to work evenings and weekends as needed.
- Valid driver's license
- Must successfully pass the safe Driving Course and driving record check at time of hire and annually thereafter.
- Ability to adhere to University policies and procedures.
- Should be committed to a culture of diversity, respect and inclusion; demonstrated ability to build working relationships with people having a wide variety of backgrounds, perspectives, and experiences different from ones' own.
- General knowledge of the University's mission, purpose and goals and the role this position plays in achieving those goals.
Commitment to Diversity and Inclusion
Bay Path University is a diverse community devoted to proactively nurturing a campus-wide culture that promotes and ensures respect, inclusion and safety for all members regardless of race, color, national origin, age, gender, religion, sexual orientation and gender identity, socio-economic background, or physical ability. We are one University that opens our hearts and minds to conversations, to learning and to creating a community that is welcoming of all. Regardless of position, it is expected that each employee will embrace this commitment and demonstrate an attitude of respect toward and acceptance of all members of our community.
Bay Path University is asmoke- and tobacco-free community.
All offers of employment are contingent on satisfactory background checking.
Applicants for this position should attach a cover letter resume / curriculum vitae, the contact information for four (4) professional, work related references and any other relevant information pertaining to this position and your candidacy. Please apply online. Faxes and emails will not be accepted.
Bay Path University is dedicated to building a culturally diverse and pluralistic faculty committed to teaching and learning in a multicultural environment and strongly encourages applications fromminorities, women and all underrepresented backgrounds. An Equal Opportunity Employer, Bay Path University is committed to fostering diversity in its student body, faculty, and staff.