Food Service Worker - Cashier/Prep, REQ-423
* This is a 9 month, regular, full-time position. The working hours are 40 hours per week, 5 days per week, or variable schedule based on business needs.
Greets guests as they enter the dining hall. Swipes student ID’s, takes cash from guests, communicates about the menu, and implements dining hall policies concerning take-out meals. Great customer service is a key element of this job. Preps salad bar ingredients. Adheres to health codes required for working with food, maintaining food quality standards and a clean and organized environment.
DESCRIPTION OF DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Reporting to the Executive Chef or Director of Operations performs the following essential duties and responsibilities:
- Greets every customer with a smile and a welcome. Swipes student ID cards and takes cash from paying guests as well as answering questions about the daily menu.
- Understands and follows proper cash procedures as trained. Counts cash bank and verifies opening balance on cash reconciliation work sheet, counts out the cash sales from the meal and completes the cash reconciliation work sheet. Deposits all sales with the Manager and receives verifying signature.
- Maintains a clean and organized environment at the cashier station, including cleaning doors windows before and after opening, wiping down tables and chairs as appropriate.
- Ensures that all signage and menus are in their proper place and well-presented prior to opening for the meal period. Ensures that the checker’s desk is neat and well presented.
- Ensure To-Go items are stocked before service and removed after service.
- Cleans and stocks dining hall servery areas including cereals, pastries, whole fruit, and cold bar. Maintains stations during service, including re-stocking the vegan and deli bar, keeping stations clean and tidy.
- Assists pantry as needed with preparation of salad bar items including dressings, condiments, chopping vegetables and fruit, storing items in the proper containers with the proper labels and temperatures, and following first out first in procedures.
- Verify all temperatures are in the safety zone and record on time/temp log prior to opening.
- Assist in preparing menu items for the late night snack break as time permits.
- Follow proper food preparation and sanitation directives as established by Health Department. Comply with internal policies and procedures as they apply to food, sanitation, and safety within Dining Hall department. This includes, but is not limited to, keeping work area clean, properly/safely using equipment and keeping floor free of food/liquid that may be a potential safety hazard, adhering to agreed work schedule.
- Other duties may be assigned as appropriate. This includes daily, weekly, monthly cleaning, and cross training as time permits.
OTHER ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS:
- Regular attendance is an essential function of this position.
- Ability to take and follow directions.
- Ability to work cooperatively with others.
- Ability to receive and respond appropriately to constructive criticism.
- Ability to display a positive attitude.
- Ability to multitask.
EDUCATION: Graduation from high school, GED, or any combination of education, training or experience that provides the required knowledge, skills and ability.
EXPERIENCE: Experience in food service industry is required.
CERTIFICATION: A California Food Handler Card is required.
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS: Must be able to stand, walk, bend, climb, push, pull, stop, twist, stretch, squat, reach, and lift up to 25 pounds from floor to waist level without assistance, and must be able to work on feet for prolonged periods of time.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, and ABILITIES: Individual must possess knowledge, skills, and ability to be able to successfully perform the essential functions of the position, or be able to explain or demonstrate how the essential functions will be performed, with or without reasonable accommodation, using some other combination of knowledge skills and abilities.
- Knowledge of food sanitation policies and procedures is required.
- Must have experience working in a fast paced commercial kitchen using commercial kitchen utility equipment.
- Cash handling skills required. Must be able to do basic arithmetic, operate cash register, be able to have accurate closing counts and give correct change.
- Knowledge of POS register systems and computer experience.
- Complete work with a sense of urgency, accuracy, and attention to detail.
- Be respectful and courteous to coworkers, customers, visitors, managers and others. Communicate clearly and professionally.
- Must be able to establish cooperative working relationships and work well with minimal supervision.
- Use organizational and time management skills. Take initiative in performance of your work tasks, and be willing to assist others as needed.
- Deploy professional skills in in collaboration with colleagues, to best promote the College’s strategic interests and provide the best quality on campus food services.
- Must be able to satisfactory understand and follow job related instructions in English, both orally and written.
REQUIRED HOURS: The regular hours for this position line up with a 9 month academic calendar. The regular hours for this position are 40 hours per week, 5 days per week, or variable schedule based on business needs. Overtime, holiday, weekend and evening work hours may be required. Regular hours may vary due to needs of the College or division. Must be willing to work a flexible schedule.
CLASSIFICATION AND STATUS:
This is a 9 month position.
This is a non-exempt position.
This is a regular, full-time position.
This is a benefits eligible position.
IPEDS Category Job Code: 35-0000 Food Preparation and Serving Related Occupations
Physical Requirements: Moderate (up to 30 lbs.)
SUPERVISORY RESPONSIBILITY: None
GROOMING AND APPEARANCE: The Claremont Colleges seek to maintain a neat and professional image at all times. A uniform is required and will be provided.
BACKGROUND CHECK: The successful candidate will be required to undergo a full consumer background check. This position will require the successful completion of a post-offer physical agility test. Employment is contingent on the satisfactory results of the aforementioned, in addition to compliance with requirements cited in this job description.
ADA/OSHA: This job description defines the essential or fundamental job duties of this position. It is assumed that employees hired for this position can perform the essential functions of this job without imposing risk of substantial harm to the health or safety of themselves or others. It may also include marginal functions, generally defined within Title 1 of the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) and the Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA).
DISCLAIMER: This job description has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees within this classification. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities and qualifications required of employees assigned to this position. When duties and responsibilities change and develop, the College will review this job description and make changes of business necessity.