CSTEP and McNair Scholars Program - Assistant Director
St. Lawrence University seeks an Assistant Director for the Collegiate Science and Technology Entry Program (CSTEP) and the Ronald E. McNair Post-baccalaureate Achievement Program. Reporting to the CSTEP/McNair Director, the Assistant Director will assist with the recruitment of program-eligible students and provide direct support services to enhance student success. This is a grant-funded position and subject to the availability of funding.
The Assistant Director will plan and execute activities designed to meet the priorities and requirements established for the CSTEP and McNair programs, including:
- Meet regularly with students in order to assist with educational and professional goal setting and to monitor student progress
- Assist individual students to establish and implement long-term educational, professional, and career plans
- Plan and provide workshops and seminars to promote student academic, financial, career, and personal success
- Compile and distribute weekly program calendar notices
- Maintain accurate records of student interactions, activity participation, and event attendance
- Take responsibility for logistics involved with CSTEP Day of Service events, summer program, and Career Exploration Symposium
- Collaborate with the Director to develop and implement McNair summer program including facilitate weekly seminar, housing, vehicle requests, poster printing, scholar portraits, student business cards, and classroom and facility scheduling
- Compile final McNair summer research papers and organize for publication
- Develop GRE and LSAT preparation plans with students and track student outcomes for use by the Director in grant reports
- Research graduate opportunities and assist students to complete the graduate school application process, including reviewing all documentation to be submitted by the students
- Maintain current resource lists for internship, research, and fellowship opportunities, graduate school funding and scholarship resources, and graduate school visitation programs
- Regularly update webpage and other program promotion materials
- Administer surveys and compile data to assess student-learning styles; coordinate program entry and exit surveys; and monitor student participation in and the effectiveness of individual program activities
- Attend professional trainings and meetings to increase understanding of program priorities and requirements
- Travel with students to conferences, graduate school visitation programs, and other program-related events
- Master’s degree required in a STEM-related field, Education, or the Human Services area
- Three years of direct work experience with undergraduate students within the contexts of student advising and development, counseling, or academic support services
- Evidence of planning and providing training to students in such areas as goal setting, educational or career planning, the graduate application process, financial literacy, and standardized test preparation
- Evidence of work experience with low income, first-generation college, and/or underrepresented students in an educational setting
- A valid Driver’s license
- Must meet the requirements to drive a University vehicle and travel extensively with program students
- Academic preparation in a STEM-related field
- Evidence of ability to develop effective working relationships with faculty, campus officials, staff, and students from diverse backgrounds
- Experience or familiarity with CSTEP and the McNair Scholars Program
- Evidence of skills relative to social media strategies, website development, Microsoft Office programs, and project assessment
- Persons coming from backgrounds similar to the target population are encouraged to apply
Interested applicants must apply online at http://employment.stlawu.edu uploading all required materials which are defined in the “special instructions to applicant” section. Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled. Questions about the position may be directed to Marsha Sawyer, Director CSTEP & McNair Scholars Program at email@example.com.
All offers of employment are contingent upon the finalist successfully passing a background (including criminal records) check.
St. Lawrence University is an Equal Opportunity Employer. For additional information about St. Lawrence, please visit http://www.stlawu.edu.