Veterinary Technician I
University of Colorado Denver l Anschutz Medical Campus
Office of Laboratory Animal Research (OLAR)
Veterinary Technician I
Position #728457 - Requisition #14144
* Applications are accepted electronically ONLY at www.cu.edu/cu-careers *
The University of Colorado Denver l Anschutz Medical Campus seeks individuals with demonstrated commitment to creating an inclusive learning and working environment. We value the ability to engage effectively with students, faculty and staff of diverse backgrounds.
The Office of Laboratory Animal Research (OLAR) has an opening for a full-time University Staff (unclassified) Veterinary Technician I position.
The University of Colorado Denver | Anschutz Medical Campus is a public research university serving more than 18,000 students. We award nearly 4,000 degrees each year, including more graduate and professional degrees than any other Colorado institution. With our solid academic reputation, award-winning faculty and renowned researchers, we offer more than 140 highly rated degree programs through 13 schools and colleges. The university receives over $400 million in research awards each year. In addition to the wide array of health-related programs and facilities offered at CU Anschutz in Aurora, Colo. a significant number of undergraduate and graduate degree programs are taught at CU Denver, our comprehensive campus in the heart of downtown Denver-one of America's most vibrant urban centers. CU Denver is located steps from the Denver Center for Performing Arts and the LoDo District affording our students, faculty and staff access to a broad array of academic, professional, community, recreational and cultural outlets.
A national leader in health care and life sciences, CU Anschutz is the only comprehensive academic health sciences center in Colorado and the largest in the Rocky Mountain region. Located in Aurora, Colo., it is one of the newest education, research and patient care facilities in the world. With six schools and colleges, CU Anschutz trains the health sciences workforce of the future by blending education, research and clinical care all in one place. This strategic collaboration among diverse health care fields allows knowledge to travel directly from the research bench to the patient's bedside. Read CU Anschutz Quick Facts here.
The purpose of this position is to provide routine and specialized care for a wide variety of species of large and small laboratory animals which are used by scientists for biomedical research and education in the Schools of Medicine, Dentistry, Pharmacy, and Nursing at the University of Colorado Denver.
Examples of Work Performed:
- This full-time, university staff (unclassified) Veterinary Technology I position that will provide support for the research animal health care program and provide specific non-animal husbandry research services to research personnel.
- This position will schedule rooms and reserve medical procedure equipment; provide technical services and assistance in anesthesia, organ, blood and tissue collection; administer experimental agents and animal euthanasia; collect post mortem tissues for evaluation; assist with surgical procedures; perform diagnostic laboratory evaluations and tests in the areas of hematology, parasitology, serology, microbiology, cytology, and clinical pathology; perform sample collection and ship to various diagnostic laboratories; create diagnostic reports, records and billing for diagnostic services.
- This position will monitor inventories of clinical, surgical and diagnostic supplies and equipment, and perform a bi-monthly audit of controlled and non-controlled drugs.
- The position will also monitor and maintain assigned support room; perform initial evaluations on reported sick and injured animals and work with the investigator or veterinarian on treatment; perform physicals on large animals; create, maintain and monitor all files and documents related to animal treatments; and perform other duties as assigned.
- An associate's degree from an accredited college or university in veterinary/animal health technology
- One year of experience caring for, feeding, or providing health care for animals in a veterinary laboratory, breeding, or boarding facility
- Two years of experience assisting in animal surgery, administering anesthesia to animals, performing veterinary surgery or related work will substitute for each year of required education and is in addition to the required experience
- A bachelor's, master's, or doctoral degree from an accredited college or university in a related field plus one year of experience in a veterinary health or a related field will substitute for the education requirement
- Must possess and maintain a current State of Colorado Driver's License by the time of hire
- Must be willing and able to frequently lift and carry 50 lbs, with or without accommodation
- Must be willing and able to occasionally lift, carry, push, and pull up to 100 lbs, with or without accommodation
- Must be willing and able to sit, stand, walk and reach above shoulders on a constant basis, with or without accommodation
- Must be willing and able to operate moving equipment or work around machinery or moving equipment
- Must be willing and able to work around noise and vibrations
- Must be willing and able to work around hazardous chemicals
- Must be willing and able to work with potential exposure to biological substances and infectious materials
- Must be willing and able to wear appropriate respiratory protection
- Must be willing and able to euthanize large and small animals
- NOTE: This position has been designated as essential personnel, "Subject to call 24 hours per day, seven days per week" and may be required to carry a pager. Position may also be required to "Stay over late" or "Come in early" to "Cover" shifts, as needed and may be required to respond to any emergencies as needed. If hired, you will be required to provide effective off-hours phone contact info for emergency call-in purposes.
- Current certification as a Veterinary Technician within the State of Colorado
- Current certification with the American Association for Laboratory Animal Science (AALAS)
- Experience performing initial evaluations and physicals on large animals
- Experience working in an animal research facility
- Experience creating electronic spreadsheets such as Microsoft Excel, and managing databases such as Topaz or Access
- Experience ordering, tracking and maintaining biomedical research equipment
- Ability to manage multiple tasks and work independently with minimal supervision
- Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to establish rapport with persons of diverse backgrounds
- Strong customer service skills
- Excellent oral communication skills with the ability to handle stressful situations in a calm and professional manner
- Ability to communicate effectively in written form which includes the ability to check for typographical, grammatical and spelling errors
- Planning and organization skills
- Physical ability
- The hiring salary for this position has been established at $34,728 - $50,832, and is commensurate with skills and experience
- Your total compensation goes beyond the number on your paycheck. The University of Colorado provides generous leave, health plans and retirement contributions that add to your bottom line.
- Benefits: https://www.cu.edu/employee-services/benefits.
- Total Compensation Calculator:https://www.cu.edu/employee-services/total-compensation
- Please click here for information on disability accommodations: http://www.ucdenver.edu/about/departments/HR/jobs/Pages/JobsatCUDenver.aspx
- The University of Colorado Denver | Anschutz Medical Campus is committed to recruiting and supporting a diverse student body, faculty and administrative staff. The university strives to promote a culture of inclusiveness, respect, communication and understanding. We encourage applications from women, ethnic minorities, persons with disabilities and all veterans. The University of Colorado is committed to diversity and equality in education and employment.
- The University of Colorado Denver | Anschutz Medical Campus is dedicated to ensuring a safe and secure environment for our faculty, staff, students and visitors. To assist in achieving that goal, we conduct background investigations for all prospective employees.
Special Instructions to Applicants:*Applications are accepted electronically ONLY at www.cu.edu/cu-careers * REQUIRED APPLICATION MATERIALS: 1). A cover letter/letter of application which specifically addresses the job requirements and outlines qualifications. 2) A current resume/CV. 3) List of 3-5 professional references.
Application Materials Required:Cover Letter, Resume/CV, List of References
Application Materials Instructions:APPLICATION DEADLINE: Applications will be accepted until the position is filled, but full consideration will be given to complete applications received by July 25th, 2018. Those who do not apply by July 25th, 2018 may or may not be considered.
Job Category: Health Care
Primary Location: Aurora
Department: H0001 -- Anschutz Medical Campus - 20388 - CSA-VCR OLAR CLAC Operations
Posting Date: Jul 11, 2018
Closing Date: Ongoing
Posting Contact Name: Maria Montero
Posting Contact Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Position Number: 00728457