ASSISTANT DIRECTOR, GRANTS AND PROPOSALS
JOB NO.: 95232-LI
Work Type: Staff-Full Time
Categories: Dean, Director, Executive, Grant, Research, Contract Management
Employment Class: Limited
Position Vacancy ID: 95232-LI
Working Title: Assistant Director, Grants and Proposals
Official Title: ASST DIR, UNSPEC (9)(M95LN)
Anticipated Begin Date: SEPTEMBER 01, 2018
Minimum $90,407 ANNUAL (12 months)
Depending on Qualifications
Degree and Area of Specialization:
Bachelor's Degree required, advanced degree desirable.
Minimum number of years and type of relevant work experience:
1. Four or more years of experience at a major educational institution with demonstrated experience working with sponsored programs administration.
2. Demonstrated management, supervision, and leadership experience in research administration.
3. Excellent written and oral communication techniques.
4. Ability to think critically and apply foundational principals to a variety of situations including interpretation of policy and procedures.
5. Independent decision making.
6. Comfortable in complex electronic systems.
7. Attention to detail.
8. Customer service mentality.
9. Knowledge of University, State, Federal and Nonfederal Agency fiscal and administrative rules, regulations and procedures.
10. Knowledge of University of Wisconsin-Madison and University of Wisconsin System policies for soliciting and administering extramural support.
11. Knowledge of electronic research administration forms, procedures, and submission through electronic interfaces (e.g. PeopleSoft).
12. Knowledge of Office of Management and Budget Circulars; funding agency terms and conditions; University Policy and Procedure Papers; State Regulations; Federal Acquisition Regulations (FAR) and agency interpretations; Code of Federal Regulations; and Research Terms and Conditions.
13. Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships.
14. Excellent organizational and time management skills.
15. Ability to build consensus to ensure compliant awards.
License or certificate:
The University of Wisconsin - Madison is a preeminent center for discovery, learning, and engagement with open forms of access to citizens from every background. UW-Madison creates a welcoming, empowered, and inclusive community while preparing current and future generations to live satisfying, useful, and ethical lives. In partnership with the state and colleagues around the world, the university's faculty, staff, and students identify and address many of the state's and the world's most urgent and complex problems.
UW-Madison ranks as one of the most prolific research universities in the world, placing fifth among American public universities for research expenditures. In addition, it receives over $1.0 billion each year in sponsored project awards. UW-Madison submits over 4,000 proposals each year, requesting over $2.5 billion in funding. Research and Sponsored Programs (RSP) manages about 15,000 active projects valued at over $4.0 billion. The Assistant Director of Grants and Proposals is a key individual in providing leadership, management, and facilitation of the research enterprise at UW.
The University of Wisconsin-Madison seeks a professional, experienced, highly-organized individual with outstanding communication skills for the position of Assistant Director of Grants and Proposals in RSP. With latitude for independent judgment and action, the Assistant Director will work with the Associate Director for Pre-award to carry out the functions of pre-award research administration operations within RSP. In addition to providing oversight and direction to the Sponsored Programs Administrators and campus research administrators, the Assistant Director will be responsible for oversight of the Administrative, Proposal Services, Award Acceptance & Set-up, and Subaward Issuance teams within RSP. The Assistant Director reports to the Associate Director of Pre-Award in RSP.
The Assistant Director of Grants and Proposals in RSP will be responsible for leading and supporting the operational functions that provide for comprehensive pre-award services. Further, the position will have a key role in the evaluation of federal, state, and Sponsor regulation and policy changes as they impact sponsored programs, for development of policies, process documentation, and training materials, for identifying business process improvements, and for outreach to the sponsored programs community at the University of Wisconsin-Madison. As delegated by the Associate Director of Pre-Award, this position will provide leadership to the University on non-financial research administration and will establish policies and procedures relating to RSP and the University's facilitation of research.
Instructions to applicants:
To be considered, applications must be submitted online. Please click on the "Apply Now" button to start the application process. You will be required to upload a cover letter and resume.
Your resume and cover letter should include all relevant education and/or work experience as it relates to this position and where it was performed, if applicable. Your cover letter should specifically address your experience in Sponsored Programs Administration; experience in management, supervision, and leadership experience in research administration; and your experience with maintaing effective working relationships at all levels of the organization. Cover letters will be used as a writing sample and to determine the best qualified applicants.
Salary will be determined based on skills and experience.
Additional Link: Full Position Details
The University of Wisconsin is an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer.
The Annual Security and Fire Safety Report contains current campus safety and disciplinary policies, crime statistics for the previous 3 calendar years, and on-campus student housing fire safety policies and fire statistics for the previous 3 calendar years. UW-Madison will provide a paper copy upon request; please contact the University of Wisconsin Police Department.
Advertised: Jul 11 2018 Central Daylight Time
Application Close: Aug 8 2018 11:55 PM Central Daylight Time