Information Technology Specialist - School of Information Sciences ( A1800440 )
Information Technology Specialist
School of Information Sciences (iSchool)
University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
The School of Information Sciences, (iSchool), seeks an Information Technology Specialist. This position will be part of the team that focuses on service management and architecture in a primarily Linux environment. Duties include application and system integration tasks such as hooking up applications like cPanel or print servers with University-specific systems, such as the campus Active Directory and Shibboleth. Also service management including tasks such as keeping systems patched, responding to outages, planning upgrades, configuring backups, and systems architecture for new platforms and services. This position will evaluate new systems and determine the appropriateness for integration within the iSchool's ecosystem. This position reports to the Assistant Director of Core Systems, iSchool
Major Duties and Responsibilities:
- Consult with iSchool research faculty on research technology needs.
- Research, design, and implement research computing infrastructure including performance tuning, automation, data manipulation, and front-end development.
- Consult with iSchool research faculty to identify and adopt existing computation systems such as the iSchool Hadoop cluster, campus cluster, AWS, and emerging technologies.
- Consult with instructors on specialized instructional technologies.
- Research, design, and implement specialized technology needs for courses.
- Create web-based utility applications for instructional, research, and administrative use, including course management, data integration, and workflow.
- Evaluate campus (central or other units) service offerings to assist in decisions about integration or adoption of those services. Integrate campus or other unit services with iSchool systems.
- Investigate new technologies to meet the teaching, research, and outreach missions of the iSchool.
- Automate monitoring systems for services.
- Design and verify operation of backups.
- Work as a team member of the Core Systems group.
- Take ownership of certain iSchool services as the primary service manager. Act as the backup service manager for other iSchool services.
- Work independently while maintaining the design paradigms of the iSchool.
- Keep up-to-date best practices for deploying services, either locally or in a cloud environment.
- Document systems processes, designs, and other information to be shared within the systems group or to the user community.
- Other related duties as assigned.
Position Requirements and Qualifications:
Required: A Bachelor's degree in a technology field or a Bachelor's degree with significant technology work experience.
- Minimum of three years' experience managing IT services or systems.
- Minimum of one year experience supporting 2 or more operating systems.
- Minimum of one year experience in an environment with a Directory Service, such as LDAP, Active Directory, or similar.
- An understanding of networking technologies, including DNS, DHCP, routing, and IP firewalls.
- Expert in at least two and familiar with at least four of the following languages/technologies:
- PHP, Bash, Perl, Python, MariaDB/MySQL, Apache, SSL, and GIT.
Preferred: Experience at an institution of higher education.
This is a full-time, 12-month academic professional position with regular University benefits. Salary is commensurate with experience. The starting date is as soon as possible after the closing date. Information about the School of Information Sciences and its programs may be found at http://ischool.illinois.edu/.
To ensure full consideration, please complete your candidate profile at https://jobs.illinois.edu/ and upload your letter of application, resume, and a list of three professional references, including contact information by end of day on August 5 th . All requested information must be submitted for your application to be considered. Interviews may be conducted before the closing date, although no hiring decisions will be made until after the search has closed. For further information regarding application procedures, you may contact Lori Kelso at [email protected]
The University of Illinois conducts criminal background checks on all job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent offer.
The University of Illinois is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action employer. Minorities, women, veterans and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply. For more information, visit http://go.illinois.edu/EEO. To learn more about the University's commitment to diversity, please visit http://www.inclusiveillinois.illinois.edu
College Name or Administrative Unit: School of Information Sciences
Title: Information Technology Specialist - School of Information Sciences ( A1800440 )
Open Date: 07/11/2018
Organization Name: Information Sciences