Student Success Gen - 111050
Is this an internal posting only?
Monday - Friday 8 am - 5 pm; some weekends and evenings
The Office for Advising Services promotes high quality advising across UNT's advising units through coordination, training/professional development, and leadership support. Our advising team offers pathways counseling to prospective and current students. Our office is located in the Academic Success Center at Sage Hall.
Advising Services at the University of North Texas is seeking to hire an Academic Counselor to join our team. Responsibilities of the position include, but are not limited to:
* Provide pre-admission advising for prospective, transfer undergraduate students in multiple settings regarding degree requirements, university policies, and procedures.
* Evaluate transcripts for applicability in core, best fit majors, prerequisites for majors and major requirements, including transfer course equivalencies. Provide pathways counseling to find best fit major.
* Provide pathways counseling services to current undergraduate students looking to change or find a new major.
* Maintain accurate knowledge of admission policies and general catalog requirements.
* Represent advising and support undergraduate recruiting primarily in Texas.
* Participate and attend major university events that involve prospective students.
* Assist with orientation activities.
* Serve on the Advisor Training Committee: develop and facilitate training modules and in person courses.
* Correspond with prospective and transferring students via email, phone, skype or mail.
* Support advising committee work and goals.
* Give presentations relating to UNT academic policies at UNT and non-UNT functions.
* Assist with student referrals and student inquiries to the office and through UNTAdvising.
* Serve on campus-wide advising committees.
The University of North Texas System is firmly committed to equal opportunity and does not permit - and takes actions to prevent - discrimination, harassment (including sexual violence), and retaliation on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, family status, genetic information, citizenship or veteran status in its application and admission processes, educational programs and activities, facilities, and employment practices. The University of North Texas System immediately investigates and takes remedial action when appropriate.
The University of North Texas System also takes actions to prevent retaliation against individuals who oppose a discriminatory practice, file a charge, or testify, assist or participate in an investigative proceeding or hearing.
The successful candidate will possess a Master's Degree and two years of experience in student affairs, student services, counseling, professional academic advising, or related experience. The following knowledge, skills, and abilities are required:
* Considerable knowledge of University policies and procedures related to functional area (or ability to rapidly assimilate).
* Current knowledge of student development and counseling theory.
* Strong presentation, problem solving, and critical thinking skills.
* Strong counseling skills including career development and group facilitation.
* Ability to communicate effectively with diverse populations verbally and in writing.
* Ability to develop and maintain effective working relationships.
* Ability to work independently.
* Remains active in professional development.
The preferred candidate will possess the following additional qualifications:
* Familiarity with degree programs, organization, and day to day operations of the University of North Texas.
* Experience with Blackboard or Canvas (Learning Management System)
* Experience with teaching or facilitating training.
Special Instructions to Applicants
Applicants must submit a resume, cover letter and references with their online application.
Is this a security sensitive position?
Driving a University Vehicle?
Job Open Date
Job Close Date
Open Until Filled
Salary Commensurate with Experience
Quicklink for Posting