User Experience Designer
Requisition # 2018-9002
Department Library - Main
Category Information Technology
Full-Time / Part-Time Part-Time
The Center for Digital Humanities (CDH) is a dynamic interdisciplinary research center within the Princeton University Library bringing together technology, design, innovative methodology and humanistic scholarship. The UX Designer is an integral member of CDH's Development and Design Team, which is charged with building innovative, intuitive, and exciting digital humanities projects.
Reporting to the Lead Developer, the UX Designer has primary responsibility for the logical flow and interactive design of CDH projects, and sole responsibility for the design, branding, color palette, and overall visual theme of CDH projects and materials.
Design is integral to every CDH project. The UX Designer collaborates with faculty, students and library partners using the design process (site flow, wireframes, user research, art design) to ensure that each project reaches its full potential in scholarly and technical innovation.
This position is a 50% time 1 year term position, with full benefits and the possibility of renewal.
- Design user experience and visual interfaces and help implement web interfaces for CDH projects (frontend and backend).
- Create images and logos for projects and coordinate visual aesthetics and promotional material as necessary.
- Design and help implement CDH web and graphical presence, including primary website and associated media to promote the work of the center.
- Oversee user research, usability testing, and design testing to refine CDH projects and CDH website.
- Coordinate CDH brand across multiple projects and media formats to create unified CDH visual aesthetic, while maintaining individual character of CDH projects.
- Teach workshops, provide consultations, write blog posts, present at conferences and promote the work of CDH to Princeton campus and larger DH communities
- Bachelors degree
- 4-6 years work experience
- Expertise in the related fields of graphic design, web design, and user experience design
- Knowledge of wireframing tools and graphic design software
- Understanding of HTML and CSS
- Exceptional listening and communication skills, including the ability to clearly communicate the design process
- Facilitate collaboration for project team members to contribute to user experience and design decisions
- Knowledge of web standards, best practices, and accessibility requirements for federally funded websites
- Demonstrated experience working in collaborative teams
- Experience with iterative design and software development workflows
- A background in web mapping or data visualization
- Experience working with cultural heritage or higher education clients
- Experience working with print media
Princeton University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. EEO IS THE LAW
Standard Weekly Hours
Eligible for Overtime
Essential Services Personnel (see policy for detail)
Estimated Appointment End Date
Physical Capacity Exam Required
Valid Driver's License Required
Connect With Us! Join our Talent Network to receive updates about working at Princeton.
Princeton University job offers are contingent upon the candidate's successful completion of a background check, reference checks, and pre-employment screening, as applicable. The type and extent of background check, reference checks, and pre-employment screening may vary depending on the requirements and/or functions of the job and the candidate's current employment status with Princeton University.
Go to our careers site.