Facilities Specialist, Grounds
Job no: 493679
Work type: Staff Full-Time
Department: Facilities Management
Location: Moon Campus
Position Department Facilities Management
Position Type Staff Full-Time
The Facilities Specialist serves as the primary laborer and coordinator of maintenance for the athletic fields, tree service maintenance, grounds pest management, hardscape maintenance, and donor site inventory management. Responsible for site amenities and gathering space. Will also be a resource to all other Grounds, Maintenance, and Operations areas of work.
- Responsible for maintenance of athletic fields and coordinating information received from the athletic department related to practices, games, and associated events. Responsible for tree maintenance program and directing contracted service providers. Monitor all University owned location property lines, and performs landscape inspections and develops prudent measures to maintain and improve them. Provide exterior pest management services through planned treatments such as detention ponds and responsible for site inspections for treatment.
- Maintains donor inventory, signage and banner for grounds. Completes all inspections and ensures inventory is up to standard. Completes repairs and replacements as necessary. Supports the Associate Director in areas of education and experience such as plant selection, soil analysis, and participates in the department sustainability program of Renew/Reuse/Recycle. Extracts information from KX, the Google Calendar, and other departments for planning purposes.
- Inspects, repairs, and raises issues related to hardscape management. Responsible for communication related to risk management. Provides parking lot maintenance as needed from minor repairs to line painting. Replaces signage and ensures site amenities are in good condition. Works with the Associate Director to update, repair, or replace site items such as retaining walls, fencing, and other associated items. Reports any/all issues with exterior lighting, and to the degree possible, makes first attempt to replace bulbs. Reports any open issues for maintenance to review and correct.
- Works efficiently to coordinate University services and departments. Responsibilities will include directing the Maintenance Worker II employees for Grounds. Assists with Campus Snow removal in all facets, including shoveling, equipment operation, vehicle operation, and oversight. May need to clean spills of various substances, including bodily fluids.
- All other duties as assigned. May be required to drive on behalf of the University. Evening and weekend hours may be required as well as the ability to work flexible shifts, holidays and weekends. Vacations (PTO) approval may be limited during peak activity periods. This position will be required to work as scheduled during University closings to ensure campus needs are met.
- Associate's Degree or equivalent work experience is preferred.
- Horticultural/Agronomy background is preferred.
- Previous experience operating computer programs such as Microsoft applications and event scheduling software, as well as the knowledge to apply these programs to job performance.
- Previous experience in field maintenance and painting, ability to operate equipment including but not limited to tractors, skid loaders, and trucks.
- Previous supervisory experience is preferred.
- Excellent written, verbal and interpersonal skills are required.
- Ability to work flexible shifts, holidays and weekends.
- Ability to work in a fast paced environment with diverse groups ranging from summer camps, corporate executives, RMU athletics, political representatives, etc.
- Ability to prioritize and to handle multiple projects simultaneously.
- Ability to receive work orders verbally or in writing.
- Ability to work without direct supervision.
- Excellent organizational, customer service and communication skills.
- A staff member is expected to abide by all of the rules and regulations of the University, the NCAA and the NEC. Staff members found in violation of NCAA regulations may be subject to disciplinary or corrective action as set forth in the provisions of the NCAA enforcement procedures.
- Valid driver's license is required.
Exemption Status Non-Exempt
Act 153 Clearance Required Yes
Required To Pass a Motor Vehicle Report Check Yes
Required to Pass a Credit Check No
Additional Posting Information None
Special Applicant Instructions None
Advertised July 11, 2018 Eastern Daylight Time
ABOUT THE UNIVERSITY
Robert Morris University (RMU), founded in 1921, is one of the leading universities in the Pittsburgh region. RMU provides a professionally focused education with an emphasis on engaged learning and is one of the most affordable private doctoral-level institutions in Pennsylvania. The University is accredited by the Middle States Commission on Higher Education. In 2016, for the first time in its history, RMU was ranked nationally by U.S. News and World Report. In 2017, RMU had among the biggest increases of all national universities in the U.S. News and World Report annual "Best Colleges" rankings released, rising 12 spots to No. 176.
Robert Morris University is dedicated to changing the lives of its students and employees so that they can go out and change the lives of others. The University combines academic excellence with a professional focus offering numerous undergraduate, graduate and doctoral degree programs. In 2011, Robert Morris University was named as a "Top Workplace" by the Pittsburgh Post Gazette , which names the best places to work in the Greater Pittsburgh region.
RMU offers faculty members an environment where teaching, research and service are supported and valued.
RMU's main campus in Moon Township features 230 rolling acres and provides all the benefits of a traditional university campus, just minutes from the airport and downtown Pittsburgh.
INSTITUTIONAL EQUITY VISION STATEMENT
At Robert Morris University, we believe that institutional equity reflects our continued commitment to a community where everyone is both valued and respected. Institutional equity encompasses racial, ethnic, gender and religious diversity, cultural perspectives, national origin, sexual orientation, physical ability, as well as socioeconomic contexts, and educational backgrounds. We are dedicated to developing a diverse population by fostering an environment where intellectual and social growth, individual perspectives, and all human experiences are valued. We strive to be an inclusive community that celebrates and embraces differences as a means of responding to the cultural and social demands of a global society. Inherent in our inclusion efforts is a strong commitment to intercultural and global education to produce and include citizens who will serve as educational, social, economic and cultural ambassadors to the world. Robert Morris University is committed to increasing diversity in our community and actively pursues individuals from all backgrounds. Additionally, RMU complies with all applicable federal, state and local laws and provides equal opportunity in all educational programs and activities, admission of students and conditions of employment for all qualified individuals regardless of race, color, sex, religion, age, disability, sexual orientation, or national origin.
Visit RMU's Office of Diversity, Inclusion and Equity