Business Officer - Journey
Requisition Number S1554
Position Number 013740
Position Classification Title Business Officer
Functional Title Business Officer - Journey
Position Type Staff
The Dean's Office in the Bryan School of Business & Economics is currently seeking qualified candidates for consideration for a Business Officer. Duties and responsibilities include:
Supervision and management of business operations
- Develop and recommend business policies and strategy to improve unit operations.
- Identify and provide essential financial information for the annual planning and decision-making process.
- Advise and educate deans, department heads, faculty, program directors and staff on operational matters related to budgets, finances, and other business operations.
- Disseminate critical information regarding fiscal/personnel policies and procedures to the unit.
- Provide responsive and customer-service oriented advice and assistance to others in the School related to budgeting, accounting, and business operations activities.
- Ensure adherence of the School's business operations to University policies and procedures.
Budget management and fiscal oversight
- Manage and oversee budget planning activities including the creation and development of the annual calendar and annual budgets.
- Coordinate formulation, implementation, and administration of the annual budget process - state, tuition differential, non-state (restricted and unrestricted), quasi-endowments, and revenue funds.
- Review, analyze, and implement all unit level budget allocations.
- Monitor and review budgets to determine if allocated funds are appropriately spent.
- Monitor spending and provide regular budget updates and reports for deans and other managers.
Business Information Analysis
- Use a variety of reporting tools to produce budget and personnel reports for internal and external purposes.
- Respond to budget and finance related inquires and requests from external offices.
- Provide required budget and financial operations information for external rankings surveys and AACSB accreditation reports at the school, department and program level.
- Identify unit budget planning and analysis needs.
Manage the development, establishment, implementation, and execution of SHRA processes
- Advise managers and supervisors on classification needs and staffing requirements with a broad understanding of both short- and long-term goals of unit management.
- Consult with managers and supervisors on writing and developing job descriptions, position classifications, and performance management plans.
- Provide consultation on salary administration and recommend appropriate salary actions.
- Assure that HR transactions are processed in a timely and accurate manner in the work unit with attention to data integrity.
- Manage access for unit staff to University HR Systems.
- Assist staff in obtaining necessary training and delivering on-the-job training opportunities.
- Serve as back-up to unit's EHRA Manager.
Provide Supervision and coordination of workload of Staff member(s)
- Provide supervision and oversight to Business Services Coordinator. This includes coaching, training, delegating work assignments, and managing performance.
Other responsibilities, as assigned.
BACHELOR'S DEGREE IN BUSINESS ADMINISTRATION, PUBLIC ADMINISTRATION, OR RELATED BUSINESS AREA; OR EQUIVALENT COMBINATION OF TRAINING AND EXPERIENCE. ALL DEGREES MUST BE RECEIVED FROM APPROPRIATELY ACCREDITED INSTITUTIONS.
- Master's Degree preferred
- 3-5 years experience with budget management and purchasing in a university setting.
- Experience in using Banner Finance, Banner HR, and Quickbooks
- Demonstrated ability using financial and information systems to create and update records, and using computers for data management, analysis and the display of results and reports.
- Experience with Microsoft Office Suite programs (including Word, Excel, Access, and Power Point) and Adobe programs; and, the ability to create and share materials for business decision-making and reporting purposes. Use of excel on a regular basis and other advanced level skills in excel is expected.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Proven ability to meet deadlines successfully, work in a fast-paced, results oriented environment with a “service-oriented” customer focus. Attention to detail is a must.
- Proven ability to take direction, function independently and without a great deal of supervision. Knowledge and skills in planning, organizing and problem-solving are necessary. Ability to manage multiple tasks and priorities while meeting schedules and deadlines effectively.
If no applicants apply who meet the required competency level and training & experience requirements, then management may consider other applicants. Salary would be determined based on competencies, equity, budget, and market considerations.
Special Instructions to Applicants
For consideration, applicants must upload:
- Cover letter, not to exceed one page, detailing personal qualifications as they relate to the position description
- List of references
Reference list must contain at least three (3) professional references that include:
- Company Name,
- Type of reference (Professional, Supervisor, Colleague, Academic, or Personal). One (1) of those references will need to be a current or previous supervisor.
- Email Address
- Contact Phone Number
Recruitment Range $57,000 - $63,646
Org #-Department Dean's Office - Bryan School of B&E - 11801
Work Hours of Position 8 A.M. - 5 P.M., Monday - Friday
Job Family Administrative and Managerial
Open Date 07/11/2018
Close Date 07/24/2018
Job Close Date
Number of Months per Year 12
- Cover Letter
- List of References
Posting Specific Questions
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * Please indicate your highest level of education:
- High School Diploma/GED
- Bachelor's Degree
- Master's Degree
- Doctorate Degree (PhD)
- * Do you have work experience in a higher education setting?
- * Please indicate how you learned of the vacant position for which you are applying:
- UNCGjobsearch Website
- Piedmont Triad Area Newspaper
- The Chronicle of Higher Education
- Inside Higher Ed
- Other professional journal / website
- UNC School System Job Board
- Personal Networking
- If you selected "Other", please provide the name of the resource here.
(Open Ended Question)
To learn more or to apply for this position please visit our UNCGjobsearch website at https://jobsearch.uncg.edu