The Executive Director for Development Communications in the Division of Development and Alumni Relations will work with the Assistant Vice President for Campaign and Donor Relations to support the Division of Development and Alumni Relations in developing and executing a comprehensive multi-media communications plan for donor fundraising and engagement including preparing for all forms of campaign communications. Reporting directly to the Assistant Vice President for Campaign and Donor Relations, the Executive Director will be responsible for setting the strategic course for development communications while leading a communications team and working collaboratively with colleagues within the division and across the University.
This position will disseminate the University’s key messages and most compelling stories, specifically for development purposes, through print and online channels, including, but not limited to, online, social media, websites, television, radio, and print publications. The successful candidate will leverage creativity, initiative, and knowledge to develop engaging, informative, and impactful content specifically for University of Miami donors and alumni.
Deep understanding of social media outreach, ability to employ social media and other digital assets to boost philanthropic campaigns, understanding of best practices in storytelling through digital media, strong written communication skills, and at least seven years of relevant digital and communications leadership experience, including social media management tools, tracking and analytics is required.
• Lead the University's campaign communication plans including development of prospectuses and case statements and other needs in support of the university's short and long-term fundraising strategies.
• Develop and execute a coordinated, comprehensive multi-media communications strategy to build and maintain an engaged community of targeted constituency groups, particularly donors and alumni, in order to drive income and increased constituent participation.
• Lead content and day-to-day oversight of the digital communications strategy, including microsites, constituent email, social media, online fundraising, web video and others as developed.
• Lead strategist of all mass mailings targeted at donor and alumni communities.
• Produce and ensure materials of the highest standards of editorial quality, relevance, readability, accuracy and brand standards.
• Provide expertise to divisional leaders and stakeholders on all aspects of communications in support of the division's fundraising and engagement objectives.
• Monitor and report key industry metrics to determine the efficiency and effectiveness of multi-media strategies.
• Establish a clear strategic direction for development communications, ensuring that the unit's work is focused and devoted to those tactics and initiatives that will have the greatest impact on the goals of the Division.
• Collaborate with University Communications leadership to ensure coverage of advancement priorities within the broader institutional marketing plan and alignment between advancement messaging and broader university brand standards.
• Form and developing a team of outstanding professionals who are passionate about their work in an atmosphere that values skill, professional growth and a “can-do” attitude, leading the team in a manner that ensures productive workflow of the highest quality. Will potentially oversee a staff of communications professionals including a graphic designer, multimedia associate/social media manager, web content developer, editors, and writers.
• Develop goals, establish consistent standards for measurement, and assess progress through quantified and qualified research.
• Manage a complex budget, develop and maintain project budgets and schedules.
• Other duties as required.
• Bachelor's degree from an accredited University. Master's degree in Communications or related field such as Marketing and experience in development communications with campaign exposure preferred.
• Ten years of progressive experience in communications. Equivalent combinations of education/experience may be considered.
• A solid portfolio of published work that demonstrates skill in analysis, creativity, communications and marketing required.
• Creative thinker in developing innovative ideas and solutions to marketing communication challenges.
• Self-starter with project management abilities who can inspire and direct others in their work.
• Proven ability to shepherd projects from concept to completion, enlisting the support and enthusiasm of others in the process.
• Exceptional writing and editing skills.
• Must be deadline oriented and able to manage multiple projects.
• Written communication and strong diplomatic skills are required as well as the ability to work with senior administration and donors.
• Ability and experience to think strategically both long and short term.
• Supervisory experience of a professional staff preferred.
• Experience in digital communications, developing communications plans for diverse audiences, developing, monitoring and optimizing digital communications strategies through benchmarks or metrics a plus.
• Strong interpersonal and oral communication skills preferred.
Apply at www.miami.edu/careers
Position #: P100040346
The University of Miami is home to some of the brightest minds in the world. We are committed to educating and nurturing students, creating knowledge, and providing service to our community and beyond. The University of Miami offers competitive salaries and a comprehensive benefits package including medical and dental benefits, tuition remission, vacation, paid holidays and much more. The University of Miami is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. Come join us!]]>