ADMINISTRATIVE ASSISTANT I
ADMINISTRATIVE ASSISTANT I
Posting Number: SRGV3501
Number of Vacancies: 1
Location: Edinburg, Texas
Department: College of Sciences/Math and Science Academy
Scope of Job:
To provide skilled and routine administrative support to the head of a department and the departmental staff and/or faculty in an academic or non-academic area. Responsible to perform routine administrative support assignments for a department head. Maintains routine financial data, which includes monthly budget and status reports.
Description of Duties:
• Provides direct administrative support to the administrator of a department.
• Types letters, memos, reports, requisitions, and other material from notes and rough drafts.
• Composes routine correspondence for the signature of the supervisor which requires knowledge of subject matter and/or departmental procedures.
• Sorts and distributes mail.
• Handles travel arrangements for supervisor and other office personnel.
• Orders supplies and arranges for repair of equipment.
• Reviews bookkeeping information and performs other routine bookkeeping tasks, including reconciliations.
• May assist in the preparation of budgets, grant requests, class schedules and other periodic reports.
• May assist in processing various student forms and requests for the appropriate review and approvals.
• May provide general program information and materials to students and/or direct students to the appropriate student services resources.
• May assist in coordination, planning, and/or staffing of departmental meetings and events as needed for outreach, recruitment & education.
• Processes personnel actions upon direction of the supervisor.
• Monitors complex records and prepares reports from a variety of materials.
• Monitors expenditures and income against the budgets, maintains accurate accounting ledgers and facilitates monthly reconciliations of accounts.
• Maintains departmental and supervisor calendar and prepares daily schedule.
• Organizes and maintains filing systems.
• Screens visitors and telephone calls.
• Acts as a receptionist.
• Receives, sorts and distributes mail.
• May track vacation, arrange for back-up coverage and process time cards for any assigned employees.
• Performs other duties as assigned.
Specific supervision from Department Chair or Director of a Department with less than 10 regular FTE’s.
May supervise assigned support staff and temporary employees.
Associate degree in a related field or experience as outlined below.
Two (2) year of office administrative experience. Experience may be substituted for education on a 1-on-1 basis
Experience obtained within higher education.
Knowledge of the use of personal computer, word processing, spreadsheet, and database software. Standard office equipment.
Needs to be able to successfully perform all required duties. Excellent, usual office environment. Exerting up to 10 pounds of force occasionally, and/or a negligible amount of force frequently or constantly to lift, carry, push, pull or otherwise move objects, including the human body.
Must have excellent interpersonal, organizational, and verbal skills.
Physical Capabilities: N/A
Employment Category: Full-Time
Minimum Salary: Commensurate with Experience
Posted Salary: Commensurate with Experience
Position Available Date: 07/10/2018
Grant Funded Position: No
If Yes, Provide Grant Expiration Date:
UTRGV is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer that strives to hire without regard to race, color, national origin, sex, age, religion, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, genetic information or veteran status. UTRGV takes affirmative action to hire and advance women, minorities, protected veterans and individuals with disabilities.
Special Instructions to Applicants:
Human Resources will not be held responsible for redacting any confidential information from the documents you attach with your application. The confidential information includes the following:
*Date of Birth
Please make sure that you omit this information prior to submission. We are advising that Human Resources will be forwarding your application to the department as per your submission. The University of Texas Rio Grande Valley reserves the right to discontinue accepting applications prior to the stated close date of this position, after meeting the posting requirement of three (3) calendar days.
If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact us at (956) 665-2451 and/or email@example.com.
UTRGV is a distributed location institution and working location is subject to change based on need.
All UTRGV employees are required to have a criminal background check (CBC). Incomplete applications will not be considered.
Substitutions to the above requirements must have prior approval from the Chief Human Resources Officer.
To apply, visit https://careers.utrgv.edu/postings/18575