Higher Education Communicator
Overview & Background
For more than 30 years, Dick Jones Communications has been one of the nation’s leading public relations agencies for clients in the education space. As a full-service communications firm, we support clients communicating on critical issues—providing crisis communications support and proactive public relations programs. We help spark dialogue and debate on the issues that are changing our world.
About the Job
Dick Jones Communications is seeking a skilled and experienced public relations practitioner to join our team.
The thought leadership communication position is responsible for developing strategy and driving implementation of media relations and thought leadership for our clients and their senior leadership.
The successful candidate will:
- Partner closely with clients’ senior leadership to identify and understand client priorities, develop communication vision, identify key objectives and target audiences and establish thought leadership platforms and strategy.
- Work closely with clients to oversee, write and edit content, including op-eds, articles and other communications pieces.
- Provide additional support in the development and implementation of communication strategies for our college and university clients.
Minimum Qualifications & Competencies:
- Excellent writing capabilities, including an ability to write quickly, persuasively and clearly in a variety of styles and on a wide variety of topics – at times on tight or unexpected deadlines.
- Demonstrated aptitude for understanding complex issues and the ability to translate and simplify them for key audiences.
- Ability and willingness to meet our company’s and the client’s expectations for written style and content and to accept and respond to revisions and advice quickly and effectively.
- Flexibility and adaptability, including a willingness to undertake both mundane and high-profile tasks with enthusiasm and energy.
- Strong research skills and a demonstrated ability to attend carefully to both grammatical and factual details.
- Ability to take initiative and work independently as well as in a team.
- Exceptional attention to detail and ability to proofread and edit with speed and precision.
- Ability to collaborate with academics as well as senior-level administrators or executives.
- Experience conducting research to inform a range of topics related to projects and assignments.
- Experience as a successful writer in a journalistic, speechwriting, academic or other context.
- Experience at, or extensive familiarity with, institutions of higher education strongly preferred.
- Bachelor’s degree in communications, journalism, public relations, English or related field, or the equivalent combination of education, training and experience.
Dick Jones Communications has offices in Pittsburgh, New Hampshire and Los Angeles. Preferences are for a candidate able to work in our Los Angeles office, but willing to consider candidates nationally.
Please send your resume and at least three writing samples to [email protected]. Please no phone calls.