Supervisor - Lighting, School of the Arts
Supervisor - Lighting, School of the Arts
Position Category: Staff - Full-Time
Utah Valley University is searching for a Supervisor for Lighting for the School of the Arts. The UVU School of the Arts resides in the Noorda Center for the Performing Arts, a brand new performing arts facility opening in January of 2019. The Noorda Center has 5 major venues including a concert hall, proscenium theatre, dance performance hall, blackbox theatre and outdoor amphitheater, as well as 2 ancillary performance spaces, which require minimal support. The Lighting Supervisor will be an integral component of a full production staff, reporting to the Director of Operations and working with the Production Manager and faculty lighting designer to develop, run, and maintain a professionally run lighting shop. Duties will include supervising a part time staff of professional and student electricians, maintaining inventory, consulting on capital investment projects, mentorship of student master electricians, and supervision of installation, load-in, technical rehearsals and load-out of all productions.
The Lighting Supervisor supports lighting needs for productions by the School of the Arts Performance and Production Services, including the disciplines of Dance, Music, Theatre and Art & Design.
Bachelor’s degree in a related discipline plus two years of staff level experience in Summary of Duties or equivalent education and experience totaling six years.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Advanced understanding of the maintenance, operation and installation of theatrical lighting systems.
- Advanced knowledge and experience with programming and operating ETC Eos family lighting consoles.
- Knowledge of intelligent equipment including LED and moving lights.
- Knowledge of integrated lighting networks.
- Proficiency with Lightwright and Vectorworks.
- Excellent communication skills both verbal and written.
- Advanced skills in reading and executing theatrical light plots.
- Proven skill to successfully manage interpersonal working relationships. As appropriate, collaborate with staff in other units and divisions to achieve the goals of the school.
- Excellent computer skills and detailed use of spreadsheets, calendars, and time management applications.
- Exceptional organizational skills; deadline driven with proven ability to manage changing priorities.
- Excellent time management skills.
- Excellent decision-making, problem-solving, and analytical skills.
- Advanced skills in assessing the physical, electrical, and data needs from lighting designers’ drawings.
- Ability to work with additional lighting consoles, including Hog 4 and / or GrandMA.
- Ability to work with large scale rental packages.
- Experience with lighting for live entertainment across a variety of performance genres including various styles of dance (modern, ballet, ballroom, etc), opera, musical theatre, outdoor performances, concerts, etc.
- Ability to work comfortable in heights using ladders, lifts and fall arrest equipment.
- Ability to lift and move equipment up to 50 lbs.
- Must be able to work independently and manage time efficiently.
B.A./B.S. in Theatrical Design and Production with 3-5 years of professional experience as a lighting supervisor or similar role. Considerable (3-5 years) experience managing and maintaining inventory in a professional lighting shop. Considerable (3-5 years) experience hiring and supervising lighting crews.
Frequently climbing, bending, stooping, twisting, kneeling, crawling, reaching, standing, walking, and grasping. Occasionally sitting. Need to be able to lift greater than 25 pounds.
UVU offers an excellent benefits package which includes a generous leave policy, 12 paid holidays, affordable medical and dental insurance options, life and AD&D insurance, tuition waiver (undergraduate resident) for employee and dependents and substantial employer contribution to a retirement plan.
Pay Range: $41,202 - $51,502
Advertisement Number: STA94818 School of the Arts Staff 07/31/2018
Open Date: 07/10/2018
Review Start Date: 07/17/2018
Close Date: 7/31/2018
Open Until Filled: No
Special Instructions to Applicant: Priority consideration will be given to those applicants who apply on or before the “Review Start Date." This job advertisement may close at any time after the review date. Please list a minimum of three references. References may be contacted at some point during the screening and selection process for a letter of recommendation.
To apply, visit: https://www.uvu.jobs/postings/7631
Employment decisions are made on the basis of an applicant’s qualifications and ability to perform the job without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age (40 and over), disability, veteran status, pregnancy, childbirth, or pregnancy-related conditions, genetic information, or other bases protected by applicable federal, state, or local law.