Director, Educational Opportunity Center
Director, Educational Opportunity Center –requisition #180000010B
The position will provide leadership and management for the Southern Appalachian Educational Opportunity Center (EOC) which is a grant program funded by the U. S. Department of Education to assist low income, potential first-generation college students, with college access in the five county Chattanooga Metropolitan Statistical Area (MSA); lead a team that provides outreach, disseminates information, and provides postsecondary enrollment assistance to 1000 participants. The Director must design and implement a plan to reach all approved goals. The Director will manage a caseload of 50 participants providing these same services. Responsibilities include:
- Ensuring compliance with all federal guidelines and project regulations associated with the operation of a federally funded TRIO program.
- Developing and maintaining strong partnerships with postsecondary educational institutions, social service agencies, community agencies and businesses.
- Developing and implementing a public relations campaign to inform the residents of the Chattanooga MSA about EOC services to include TV appearances, print interviews, radio interviews and the design of printed materials.
- Conducting program evaluation and providing direction to ensure the accomplishment of program goals and objectives and continued funding.
- Writing a federal TRIO grant every five years.
- Personnel supervision to include training, professional development, and team-building.
- Proposal writing, communicating with funding source including contract negotiations.
- Budget modifications and management.
Master’s degree required in Education, Psychology or Social Services or related field. Must have five years’ experience in program delivery and management; experience in the development of partnerships and public relations strategies; experience in managing programs assisting disadvantaged individuals in the attainment of post-secondary education. Must have experience in career/educational counseling/advising. Five years’ experience in a higher education environment is preferred. Preference will be given to applicants who demonstrate evidence of knowledge, education, and/or experience with first-generation students through formal training, work experience, and personal life experiences. Must have the ability in proposal development and the attainment of grant funding. Must be knowledgeable of grant operations, grant writing, project implementation and management; have budgeting skills to manage the $277,000 annual grant fund; the ability to interpret grant regulations and legislation; strong analytical skills for data management and progress towards project goals; strong knowledge of admissions and financial aid systems (FAFSA); ability to work with individuals from low income backgrounds who would likely be the first in their family to attend postsecondary institutions; ability to counsel clients in career directions in order to assist them in appropriate postsecondary training options; skills to complete Annual Performance reports for the U.S. Department of Education and the University of Tennessee at Chattanooga; and, strong computer skills (Microsoft Office) and proprietary software; excellent interpersonal skills. Must have the ability to select, train and manage a staff in a team environment and develop collaborative relationships with external partners. Occasional evening and weekends are required; occasional overnight travel is required. Must be flexible in scheduling to meet community demands on some nights and weekends, and attending regional and national conferences. Must have a valid driver’s license.
Applications must be sent electronically to: https://ut.taleo.net/careersection/ut_chattanooga/jobdetail.ftl?job=180000010B
The University of Tennessee Chattanooga is an EEO/AA/Title VI/Title IX/Section 504/ADA/ADEA institution in the provision of its education and employment programs and services. All qualified applicants will receive equal consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, pregnancy, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, physical or mental disability, or covered veteran status.