Director of Admission
Director of Admission
Miami University, a student-centered public university founded in 1809 and located in Oxford, Ohio, invites applications for the position of Director of Admission. Reporting to the Associate Vice President of Strategic Enrollment Management & Marketing (SEMM), the Director of Admission will be responsible for the leadership, oversight, and management of the Office of Admission and all its functions.
The Director will partner closely with the Senior Vice President for Enrollment Management & Student Success (EMSS), Associate Vice President, SEMM senior staff, EMSS leadership, deans, faculty, and staff to determine and enact the policies and strategies that will realize the university’s ambitious enrollment goals. She or he will serve as an effective and compelling representative for the University and its mission by presenting Miami’s vision, value propositions, and unparalleled learning environment and outcomes to prospective students, their families, and other key constituents.
Along with the Associate Vice President for Enrollment Management, the new Director will seek to expand the University’s reach nationally. The new admission leader will assist with developing, shaping, and implementing a comprehensive strategic recruitment plan, which will include continue Miami’s advancement of diversity and pre-college outreach programs. The Director will continue to elevate the visibility of the Office of Admission and the scope of its work, building and maintaining strong and collaborative internal and external relationships.
As an integral leader across the University, and within EMSS, the Director will work closely with the campus community to build effective relationships and communicate about and garner support for the goals of the Office of Admission. The Director will ensure that staff has appropriate information and direction so that decisions can be made in a timely manner and that tasks can be accomplished successfully, strategically, and in alignment with the vision for enrollment.
The Director of Admission will be a forward-thinking, collaborative, and skilled professional who will engage Miami University campus constituents in the vision for admission, enhancing trust, confidence, and collegiality. She or he will have progressive leadership experience in the area of admission and an affinity for partnership with financial aid and student success initiatives.
The Director of Admission will be a critical component of the SEMM Leadership Team, helping drive overarching enrollment and marketing goals, and serve as a member of the EMSS Extended Leadership Team.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
The essential duties and responsibilities for the Director of Admission are as follows:
- Provide leadership in the planning, development and administration of the office in a manner that is consistent with the University’s mission; in collaboration with the Associate Vice President of Enrollment Management, deans, faculty, and staff, develop and implement annual and long-term recruitment and yield plans that will achieve the University’s ambitious enrollment goals.
- Lead and direct implementation of new student recruitment initiatives based upon knowledge of contemporary recruitment practices and challenges, including changing demographics and a highly competitive landscape in key geographic markets, including aggressive expansion of domestic resident and non-resident markets; regularly reassess accuracy and effectiveness of recruitment activities and ensure that Miami’s recruitment initiatives are proactive, strategic and responsive to the changing landscape of higher education.
- Remain current with issues and policies pertaining to the achievement of a diverse student body and take a leadership role on campus in assisting the university in reaching its goals related to enhancing the diversity of its undergraduate student population.
- In collaboration with the Director of Enrollment Marketing & Communication and the Associate Vice President, strengthen and refine the university’s marketing, recruiting, and outreach to prospective undergraduate students, expanding the university’s ability to attract, select, and enroll an increasingly talented and diverse student body and coordinate the design and implementation of consistent communication through the admissions process and throughout enrollment.
- Provide regular reports, data analyses, and evaluation tools to the Associate Vice President for SEMM, the colleges, the division, and other designated persons/units on campus to further a data-informed culture to shape strategic directions and make appropriate adjustments to an integrated admission and recruitment plan; analyze inquiry, application, and deposit trends to identify potential opportunities for advancement or efficiency; monitor admission activities and processes through analysis from key performance indicators.
- Provide leadership for continued development of a strong campus visit experience, welcoming more than 50,000 guests annually and inclusive of multiple pre-college experiences.
- Direct the first-year application review process consisting of more than 30,000 applications for admission across two application platforms and oversight and management of selection for Miami’s premier honors and scholarship programs.
- Supervise, train, and mentor a superior admission team consisting of 25+ full-time staff, more than 12 seasonal staff, and approximately 150 tour guides.
- Work collaboratively and strategically with other units within the Division of Enrollment Management and Student Success, particularly with the Office of Student Financial Assistance; enhance working relationships with internal and external stakeholders.
- Represent the Office of Admission as a member of internal and external committees and professional organizations at local, regional, and national events, programs, and panels; follow planned program of professional development; provide leadership in office planning and direction, and work as part of a team-oriented management group with other senior leadership within the unit and division.
Qualifications, Skills and Characteristics
The successful candidate should have a bachelor’s degree, with Masters preferred, with more than five years of experience in positions of progressively increasing responsibility in admission, enrollment management, higher education, or related field.
In addition, the director should have the following skills and characteristics:
- Demonstrated outstanding written, verbal, and interpersonal communication skills.
- Proven analytical and data analysis skills.
- Strong project management and organizational skills, including ability to set priorities, manage simultaneous initiatives, and operate effectively in a deadline-driven environment.
- Familiarity with technologies including relational databases highly desired.
- Commitment to enrolling and employing highly talented and diverse individuals.
- Ability to work collaboratively.
About Miami University:
Nationally recognized as one of the most outstanding undergraduate institutions, Miami University is a public university located in Oxford, Ohio. One of only a handful of universities to be named a Public Ivy, Miami challenges and prepares ambitious students for lifelong success in a quintessentially collegiate setting that has inspired generations for more than 200 years. Miami University welcomes a diversity of people, ideas, and beliefs to a vibrant learning and discovery community that values, above all: academic rigor; character; intellect; and serving the public good.
With a student body of more than 19,000, Miami effectively combines a wide range of strong academic programs with faculty who love to teach and the personal attention ordinarily found only at much smaller institutions. For eight years in a row, U.S. News & World Report has ranked Miami among the top universities nationally for best teaching of undergraduates. In the most recent report, Miami ranks first nationally among public universities and fifth overall for both public and private schools, in good company with Princeton, Dartmouth, Brown, and Rice universities.
Miami’s idyllic, tree-lined setting, top-rated programs, and focus on undergraduates come together to provide a superior and affordable education. In addition to the specialized courses in over 100 majors, all Miami students complete the Global Miami Plan for Liberal Education. More than job training for a specific career, the Global Miami Plan includes courses that help students develop mental agility and problem-solving ability to think for themselves and adapt to a changing world. A well-rounded education helps students explore a wide range of subjects and perhaps discover new interests and career possibilities. A residential campus, nearly all first- and second-year students live in residence halls. These halls represent various Living Learning Communities, which provide an opportunity for students to live and learn with others who share their interests. With its inclusive environment and active student body, it's easy to see why The Princeton Review calls Miami’s campus a "vibrant, social atmosphere."
For more information, go to http://miamioh.edu/
Oxford, Ohio is a true college town; with close to 7,000 year-round residents, it was recently cited by Forbes as the #1 Best College Town in America. It’s small enough to get around by foot and big enough to fill the needs of any student or resident. The community provides access to excellent arts, cultural and athletic events, as well as amazing facilities. During the summer, the town keeps busy with festivals, concerts and events. The historic Uptown (because it’s uphill from all directions) is home to several locally owned businesses and is busy year round. While in Oxford, one can discover unique specialty boutiques like Lane & Kate, a jewelry, art and gift shop, or The Wild Berry, a deliciously smelling incense shop. Surrounded by miles of generational family farms, Oxford boasts an award winning farmer's market, numerous arts organizations and miles of trails, including the Presidential Pathways Scenic Byway, a 47-mile byway traveling from the Ohio River area to nearby Hueston Woods State Park. Located in Butler County in the southwestern portion of the state, Oxford is about 35 miles north of Cincinnati.
Please send all nominations, inquiries, and expressions of interest to:
For assurance of full consideration, please submit materials on or before August 3. There is an expected start date of late summer 2018.
Miami University, an EO/AA employer, encourages applications from minorities, women, protected veterans and individuals with disabilities. Miami University does not discriminate on the basis of age, color, disability, gender identity or expression, genetic information, military status, national origin, pregnancy, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation or protected veteran status in its application and admission processes, educational programs and activities, facilities, programs or employment practices. Requests for reasonable accommodations for disabilities related to employment should be directed to [email protected] or 513-529-3560.
Miami University's Annual Security and Fire Safety Report with information on campus crime, fires, and safety may be found at: http://www.MiamiOH.edu/campus-safety/annual-report/index.html. Hard copy available upon request. A criminal background check is required. All campuses are smoke- and tobacco-free campuses.
Right to Know—Consumer Information at www.muohio.edu/righttoknow. Hard copy available upon request.
While every effort will be made to preserve confidentiality until finalists are selected, the search is subject to the Ohio Public Records Act.