Director of Enrollment Marketing and Communication
Director of Enrollment Marketing and Communication
Miami University, a student-centered public university founded in 1809 and located in Oxford, Ohio, invites applications for the position of Director of Enrollment Marketing and Communication. Reporting to the Associate Vice President of Strategic Enrollment Management & Marketing (SEMM), the Director of Enrollment Marketing & Communication will provide strategic leadership, vision, and direction for the comprehensive and robust communication efforts within the Division of Enrollment Management & Student Success (EMSS).
The Director will be responsible for providing strategic marketing and communication planning and counsel, management of all facets of divisional communication and social media efforts, and consistency of messaging and efforts across EMSS’s many communication platforms. The position will lead and execute initiatives that are indicative of industry-leading best practices, consistent with brand guidelines, serve to provide greater visibility of Miami University to prospective students and key influencers, and designed to increase current student knowledge of and engagement with key EMSS services, transactions, and initiatives including financial aid, student accounts, registration, and degree progression and milestones. The Director of Enrollment Marketing & Communication will ensure that Miami uses the most contemporary and effective approaches to reach current and prospective students and other key influencers and coordinates innovative communications initiatives through a variety of media including print, web, email, and social media.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
The essential duties and responsibilities for the Director of Enrollment Marketing & Communication are as follows:
- In collaboration with the Senior Vice President of EMSS and Associate Vice President for SEMM, provide leadership in the strategic planning, development, and delivery of Miami’s enrollment and student success marketing and communication efforts including its core differentiators, brand pillars, and value propositions to prospective and current students, families, high school counselors, community-based organizations, employers, and other key influencers.
- Provide regular reports, data analyses, and evaluation tools to the Associate Vice President for SEMM, directors, unit and divisional leadership, University Communications and Marketing (UCM) colleagues, and other designated persons/units on campus and further a data-informed culture to shape strategic enrollment and student success communications; analyze trends to identify potential opportunities for advancement or efficiency; monitor efforts, processes, and efficacy through analysis of key performance indicators.
- Partner with University Communications and Marketing UCM to develop the overall communications strategy for the Division that includes but is not limited to print, email, web content, social media, presentations, and media releases.
- Serve as liaison to the UCM for the design, development and production of print and electronic communications related to recruitment, enrollment, and student success.
- Oversee all enrollment communications from the University to prospective student audiences and with current students regarding key enrollment management and student success services, transactions, and initiatives.
- Direct the development of creative communications for engaging prospects, applicants, and current students in alignment with the Miami University brand and communication strategies.
- Oversee the day-to-day operations of the Office of Enrollment Marketing & Communication.
- Create, organize, and schedule communication plans in collaboration with divisional directors and senior leadership within the offices to ensure communication plans are devised to manage short- and long-term goals while maintaining a schedule of necessary updates and routine operations.
- Lead the Enrollment Marketing and Communication team, act as an integral member of SEMM Leadership Team, and serve on the EMSS Extended Leadership Team.
- Manage and maintain a divisional communication budget exceeding $1.5 million annually.
- Ensure consistent and thoughtful messaging across all audiences – both internal and external entities – and develop strategies for the University to enhance communication to prospective and current students, media outlets, and other key influencers.
- Evaluate, develop, and coordinate with the Director of Admission on the development, design and production of all print, electronic, and digital communications related to student search, recruitment, travel, and campus visits and events.
- Write, edit, and produce internal communications, campaigns, publications, and advertisements in marketing the division to the university community.
- Manage relationships with external vendor partners.
- Ensure the ongoing assessment and development of new content by ensuring and managing interviews with current students, faculty, coaches, and others for use in communications, web content, and new media initiatives.
- Stay current with higher education marketing trends and developments and issues and policies pertaining to best practices; examine the strategies of peer, competitor, and aspirant institutions.
- Assess, evaluate, and ensure effective ROI on EMSS communication initiatives.
- Ensure timely and accurate production and execution of all communication including but not limited to data integrity and production schedules.
Qualifications, Skills and Characteristics
The successful candidate should have a bachelor’s degree, with Masters preferred, with more than five years of experience in positions of progressively increasing responsibility in admission, enrollment management, higher education, or related field.
In addition, the director should have the following skills and characteristics:
- Demonstrated outstanding written, verbal, and interpersonal communication skills.
- Demonstrated success in developing publications, professional writing, editing, and proofreading.
- Proven analytical and creative ability to address targeted messages to a variety of audiences.
- Strong project management and organizational skills, including ability to set priorities, manage simultaneous projects, and complete projects on time.
- Experience in using social media marketing tools to build brand awareness and a demonstrated interest in keeping abreast of new technologies with a firm understanding of web technologies, applications and analytics, including social networking, social media tools, and current communication trends (including video and mobile).
- Extensive experience developing comprehensive communication flows.
- Familiarity with technologies including relational databases highly desired.
- Ability to work collaboratively with a wide range of people and in a deadline-driven environment.
About Miami University:
Nationally recognized as one of the most outstanding undergraduate institutions, Miami University is a public university located in Oxford, Ohio. One of only a handful of universities to be named a Public Ivy, Miami challenges and prepares ambitious students for lifelong success in a quintessentially collegiate setting that has inspired generations for more than 200 years; they welcome a diversity of people, ideas, and beliefs to a vibrant learning and discovery community that values, above all: academic rigor; character; intellect; and serving the public good.
With a student body of more than 19,000, Miami effectively combines a wide range of strong academic programs with faculty who love to teach and the personal attention ordinarily found only at much smaller institutions. For eight years in a row, U.S. News & World Report has ranked Miami among the top universities nationally for best teaching of undergraduates. In the most recent report, Miami ranks first nationally among public universities and fifth overall for both public and private schools, in good company with Princeton, Dartmouth, Brown, and Rice universities.
Miami’s idyllic, tree-lined setting, top-rated programs, and focus on undergraduates come together to provide a superior and affordable education. In addition to the specialized courses in over 100 majors, all Miami students complete the Global Miami Plan for Liberal Education. More than job training for a specific career, the Global Miami Plan includes courses that help students develop mental agility and problem-solving ability to think for themselves and adapt to a changing world. A well-rounded education helps students explore a wide range of subjects and perhaps discover new interests and career possibilities. A residential campus, nearly all first- and second-year students live in residence halls. These halls represent various Living Learning Communities (LLCs), which provide an opportunity for students to live and learn with others who share their interests. With its inclusive environment and active student body, it's easy to see why The Princeton Review calls Miami’s campus a "vibrant, social atmosphere."
For more information, go to http://miamioh.edu/
Oxford, Ohio is a true college town; with close to 7,000 year-round residents, it was recently cited by Forbes as the #1 Best College Town in America. It’s small enough to get around by foot and big enough to fill the needs of any student or resident. The community provides access to excellent arts, cultural and athletic events, as well as amazing facilities. During the summer, the town keeps busy with festivals, concerts and events. The historic Uptown (because it’s uphill from all directions) is home to several locally owned businesses and is busy year round. While in Oxford, one can discover unique specialty boutiques like Lane & Kate, a jewelry, art and gift shop, or The Wild Berry, a deliciously smelling incense shop. Surrounded by miles of generational family farms, Oxford boasts an award winning farmer's market, numerous arts organizations and miles of trails, including the Presidential Pathways Scenic Byway, a 47-mile byway traveling from the Ohio River area to nearby Hueston Woods State Park. Located in Butler County in the southwestern portion of the state, Oxford is about 35 miles north of Cincinnati.
Please send all nominations, inquiries, and expressions of interest to:
For assurance of full consideration, please submit materials on or before August 3. There is an expected start date of late summer 2018.
Miami University, an EO/AA employer, encourages applications from minorities, women, protected veterans and individuals with disabilities. Miami University does not discriminate on the basis of age, color, disability, gender identity or expression, genetic information, military status, national origin, pregnancy, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation or protected veteran status in its application and admission processes, educational programs and activities, facilities, programs or employment practices. Requests for reasonable accommodations for disabilities related to employment should be directed to [email protected] or 513-529-3560.
Miami University's Annual Security and Fire Safety Report with information on campus crime, fires, and safety may be found at: http://www.MiamiOH.edu/campus-safety/annual-report/index.html. Hard copy available upon request. A criminal background check is required. All campuses are smoke- and tobacco-free campuses.
Right to Know—Consumer Information at www.muohio.edu/righttoknow. Hard copy available upon request.
While every effort will be made to preserve confidentiality until finalists are selected, the search is subject to the Ohio Public Records Act.