Visiting Chief of Party- Department of Agricultural and Consumer Economics (98922)
College of Agricultural, Consumer and Environmental Sciences
Department of Agricultural and Consumer Economics
University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
Position: Visiting Chief of Party - Department of Agricultural and Consumer Economics
Lead all aspects of the Feed the Future MALAWI Strengthening Agriculture and Nutrition Extension Services Activity project funded under a Cooperative Agreement with the U.S. Agency for International
Development (USAID), including day-to-day management of the project as well as holding responsibility for overall development of work plans, project budget ($15 million) and delivery of program activities in the Republic of Malawi.
This position is located in the Republic of Malawi.
Major Duties and Responsibilities
Responsible for the day-to-day management and implementation of the program activities, including:
• Build and maintain working relationships with the Government of Malawi, Ministry of Agriculture, Irrigation and Water Development (MoAIWD), Department of Agricultural Extension Services (DAES), Department of Nutrition, HIV, and Aids (DNHA), USAID/Malawi, and to other key development partners;
• Work regularly and directly with the MoAIWD and DAES administrators to mobilize and work with service providers to deliver agricultural and nutrition extension services;
• Collaborate closely with Catholic Relief Services (CRS) and USAID/Malawi projects to support 3-C integration: co-locating interventions to the extent that is sensible, including the location of project personnel within DAES; coordinating better with USAID projects, and especially with regards to other USAID FtF, FfP, and DFAP projects, and other development partners; and collaborating to foster linkages among implementing partners and development partners to improve results and sustainability;
• Act as a liaison between the project activities and USAID/Malawi, including regular communications and project reporting to USAID/Malawi;
• Provide coaching and mentoring to project team members and DAES administrators, specifically the Deputy Directors of Extension and Nutrition;
• Manage all aspects of grant execution to comply with University and funding agency guidelines, deadlines, and regulations; including but not limited to drafting of the annual work plans, performance monitoring plan, data quality plan, output documentation, report preparation and budget management;
• Supervise and direct the work of all project staff;
• Monitor and evaluate project performance, actively work to identify opportunities and challenges in meeting project output objectives and assist project staff and partners to meet project performance goals;
• Complete all project deliverables and submit to USAID in a timely manner; including submission of all reports and data as required by USAID
• Serve as the chief point of contact for communications concerning project implementation and reporting. Maintain clear communications with CRS, UIUC and project implementation partners;
• Report on a regular basis to the Project Director on management, administrative, and implementation issues of the project and maintain clear communication with the Project Director on all aspects of project performance and implementation;
• Supervise the implementation of agreements with sub-award institutions, working with sub-awardees to make sure reporting on their project components is current and clear and that progress is tracked accurately, discussing solutions to challenges they face, and helping identify additional opportunities that might arise out of their engagements.
Required: Master's degree in agricultural economics, agricultural development, agronomy, natural resources management or other related field.
Preferred: PhD degree in related subject work such as agricultural economics, agricultural development, agronomy, or natural resources management.
Required: Experience managing USAID projects in Malawi. Experience managing USAID assistance projects. Experience managing agricultural policy and capacity-building efforts.
Technical knowledge of agricultural extension, policy and institutionalization/capacity-building. Proven ability to operate in a fluid and changing environment. Skills in program monitoring and evaluation.
Preferred: Experience managing USAID assistance projects in Chief of Party capacity. Experience in international extension and familiarity with extension systems in multiple developing countries.
Position: This position is classified as a 12-month, 100% time Visiting Academic Professional position located at Urbana-Champaign, IL. This position may become non-visiting at a later time, dependent upon funding and programmatic needs.
Salary/Appointment: Commensurate with education and experience. The proposed starting date will be August 16, 2018.
Procedures: Candidate profiles should be created and cover letter, resumes, and 3 references should be uploaded at http://jobs.illinois.edu. To ensure full consideration, applications must be received by July 24, 2018. Applicants may be interviewed before closing date; however, no hiring decision will be made until after that date. All requested information must be submitted for your application to be considered. For further information, candidates may contact Melissa Warmbier, 217-333-8859, [email protected].
The University of Illinois conducts criminal background checks on all job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent offer.
The University of Illinois is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action employer. Minorities, women, veterans and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply. For more information, visit http://go.illinois.edu/EEO. To learn more about the University's commitment to diversity, please visit http://www.inclusiveillinois.illinois.edu
College Name or Administrative Unit: ACES
Title: Visiting Chief of Party- Department of Agricultural and Consumer Economics (98922)
Open Date: 07/10/2018
Close Date: 07/24/2018
Organization Name: Agr and Consumer Economics