Cataloging and Metadata Associate
Cataloging and Metadata Associate
Library Production Associate
University Library-Gen - 141000
Is this an internal posting only?
Monday - Friday, 8 am-5 pm
A wide range of student- and faculty-centered services are the cornerstone of the Libraries' integral role in the University of North Texas community. As the most-used service on campus and an essential component of education and research at the University of North Texas, the Libraries offer access to more than 6 million items (print and digital) along with expert personnel to assist patrons in achieving their academic and scholarly goals. We provide innovative programs and support to enhance the relationship between teaching and learning at the University of North Texas.
The Cataloging and Metadata Services Department creates and maintains the accuracy of the records in the online catalog for the Libraries' general collection for a variety of materials, including books, online resources (e.g., e-books, streaming video, and streaming audio), periodicals, and maps. The department also maintains information about the Libraries' collection in OCLC WorldCat.
The Cataloging and Metadata Services Department at the University of North Texas Libraries is seeking to hire a Cataloging and Metadata Associate to join our team.
Responsibilities of the position may include, but are not limited to:
* Cataloging monographs and periodicals, including firm order, standing order, and gift materials
* Providing catalog maintenance by running daily heading reports and correcting authority control issues
* Creating and reconciling metadata for electronic theses and dissertations
* Managing the cataloging for the Juvenile Collection
* Managing the cataloging and withdrawing for the Best Sellers Collection
* Supporting cataloging and metadata database maintenance projects by reviewing workflows, developing training materials, and assessing projects
* Reviewing and correcting the work of student workers
The University of North Texas System is firmly committed to equal opportunity and does not permit - and takes actions to prevent - discrimination, harassment (including sexual violence), and retaliation on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, family status, genetic information, citizenship or veteran status in its application and admission processes, educational programs and activities, facilities, and employment practices. The University of North Texas System immediately investigates and takes remedial action when appropriate.
The University of North Texas System also takes actions to prevent retaliation against individuals who oppose a discriminatory practice, file a charge, or testify, assist or participate in an investigative proceeding or hearing.
The successful candidate will possess a Bachelor's Degree and one year of progressively responsible library experience; or any equivalent combination of education, training, and experience. The following knowledge, skills, and abilities are required:
* Extensive knowledge of library principles and policies, and knowledge of specialized area functions and workflows.
* Experience in working effectively with students, faculty, staff, and the community.
* Ability to utilize multiple computer applications toward increased productivity in a rapidly changing environment.
* Strong leadership skills.
* Excellent written and oral communication skills.
* Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships.
* Knowledge of safe working procedures and security measures related to work performed.
The preferred candidate will possess the following additional qualifications:
* Experience in a library Cataloging/Technical Services unit
* Experience using the Sierra integrated library system
* Familiarity with Library of Congress classification schema
Special Instructions to Applicants
Applicants must submit a cover letter, resume and list of three references with their online application.
Is this a security sensitive position?
Driving a University Vehicle?
Job Open Date
Job Close Date
Open Until Filled
Quicklink for Posting