Assistant Coordinator, Writing Center Program
10AM - 7PM
$44,200 - $65,700
The mission of the Academic Resource Center (ARC) at UC Riverside is to 'empower students to grow intellectually and personally as they pursue their goals'. Join a team that is full of innovation, spirit, engagement and most importantly, is student-centered. The University of California Riverside, is a living laboratory for the exploration of issues critical to growing communities - air, water, energy, transportation, politics, the arts, history, culture, and healthcare. UCR gives every student, faculty, and staff the resources to explore, engage, imagine and excel. UCR offers a challenging academic environment that emphasizes research and practical experiences through self-exploration, at one of the most ethnically diverse institutions in the country. The Academic Resource Center (ARC) in the Division of Undergraduate Education is committed to student success. We currently seek an Assistant Coordinator, Writing Center Program, to develop and implement training programs to prepare academic student employees. The incumbent will work closely with students on their creation, development, and response to writing assignments. This support includes non-course-based writing support for prestigious scholarship/fellowship applications, Undergraduate Research Journal submissions, and Honors theses. If you believe in cultivating academic excellence through delivery of high quality support services, consider joining the ARC team!
Knowledge of learning theories and training models.
Knowledge of how learning skills issues apply to a research institution.
Ability to communicate information in small and large group settings.
Problem solving skills.
Knowledge of strategies in critical thinking, reading, writing, note taking, test taking, time management, and goal setting.
Oral and written communication skills; interpersonal and presentation skills.
Develops knowledge of current and theoretical models that influence the application and delivery of academic services (e.g., discipline specific; student-population specific).
Develops knowledge of specific learning theory, learning styles, affective issues, academic issues, and socio-cultural issues in applying academic support for students.
Skills in judgment and decision-making.
Multicultural competencies; knowledge and experience working and interacting effectively with diverse groups of staff, faculty, and student populations.
Proficient computer skills including databases, word processing, spreadsheets, and web-based systems.
Advanced writing skills.
Advanced facilitation skills.
In the Heart of Inland Southern California, UC Riverside is located on nearly 1,200 acres near Box Springs Mountain in Southern California; the park-like campus provides convenient access to the vibrant and growing Inland region. The campus is a living laboratory for the exploration of issues critical to growing communities'air, water, energy, transportation, politics, the arts, history and culture. UCR gives every student, faculty and staff member the resources to explore, engage, imagine and excel.
UC Riverside is recognized as one of the most ethnically diverse research universities in the country boasting several key rankings of which we are extremely proud.
- Washington Monthly (August 2016) ranked UC Riverside 12th in the nation in its annual University and College Survey. \
- Education Trust placed UC Riverside 9th in the nation for closing the graduation gap between black and white students by 1.7 percentage points.
- In QS World University Rankings 2016/2017, UC Riverside's Department of Philosophy is #1 in the world for the frequency with which published papers are cited by other philosophers.
- U.S. News and World Report Survey (September 2016) ranked UC Riverside 118th overall; earns "Great Schools, Great Prices."
- Shanghai Jiao Tong University (August 2016) Academic Ranking of World Universities ranked UC Riverside among the top 151 to 200 institutions. This survey bills itself as "the most trustworthy precursor of global rankings of the world's top 500 universities."
- U.S. News and World Report's Best Graduate Schools (2016) including:
- Graduate School of Education - 62nd among ranked schools
- Bourns College of Engineering - 71st among ranked schools
For information about our generous employee benefits package, visit: Employee Benefits Overview