(ASSOC/NO-PREFIX/SENIOR) UNIV LEGAL COUNSEL
JOB NO.: 95260-AS
Work Type: Staff-Full Time
Department: G SERV/LEGAL AFFAIRS
Categories: Legal Affairs
Employment Class: Academic Staff-Renewable
Position Vacancy ID: 95260-AS
Working Title: (ASSOC/NO-PREFIX/SENIOR) UNIV LEGAL COUNSEL
Official Title: SR UNIV LEGAL COUNSEL(T52BN) or UNIV LEGAL COUNSEL(T52DN) or ASSOC UNIV LEGAL CNSL(T52FN)
Anticipated Begin Date: SEPTEMBER 01, 2018
Term: This is a renewable appointment.
Minimum $80,000 ANNUAL (12 months)
Depending on Qualifications
Degree and Area of Specialization:
Juris Doctor - candidates must have graduated from an A.B.A. accredited law school.
Minimum number of years and type of relevant work experience:
Minimum one year of experience (Associate University Legal Counsel) or minimum four years of experience (University Legal Counsel) or minimum of seven years of experience (Senior University Legal Counsel) in fast-paced legal environment advising health care institutions.
Required Skills, Knowledge and Abilities:
1. Knowledge of the legal and regulatory issues governing the provision of healthcare.
2. Understanding of HIPAA and other laws governing the privacy of medical information (knowledge of Wisconsin state law preferred).
3. Experience advising healthcare providers on legal and risk matters related to their clinical
4. Knowledge of Stark, Anti-Kickback, and other applicable laws and regulations as they relate to healthcare contracting and other health care regulatory matters.
5. Knowledge of negotiating principles and techniques used to effectively and successfully advocate for the goals and objectives of the academic health center.
6. Effective leadership skills which demonstrate the ability to participate in innovation and change, strategic thinking, and problem solving.
7. Demonstrated ability to work in a collegial and professional manner with peers and clients.
8. Effective communication skills in both written and verbal presentation, including all aspects of legal writing technique and procedure.
9. Ability to function effectively in a fast-paced and changing environment with multiple priorities and objectives.
Preferred Skills, Knowledge and Abilities:
1. Previous experience with academic medical centers.
2. Knowledge of Wisconsin statutes, regulations and case law governing state agencies that impact planning and procedures related to internal and external relationships, acquisitions, and affiliations within the context of the healthcare industry.
3. Understanding of public records and open meetings laws and their impact on the administration of the academic healthcare enterprise.
License or certificate:
Membership in good standing in the Wisconsin State Bar or admission to the Wisconsin State Bar within one (1) year of hire date.
UW-Madison, the flagship campus of the University of Wisconsin System, is a research-intensive University serving approximately 41,500 students and employing over 16,000 FTE faculty and staff members. The Office of Legal Affairs (OLA) is comprised of 11 in-house attorneys who provide legal representation for and advice and counsel on a broad array of complex and novel legal issues to the Chancellor, Provost, Vice Chancellors, Deans, and other administrators, faculty and staff. (http://legal.wisc.edu)
Prefix (associate, no-prefix, or senior) will be determined by years of experience and qualifications.
Associate University legal counsel - Minimum $80,000 (Annual)
University legal counsel - Minimum $101,000) (Annual)
Senior University legal counsel - Minimum $120,000 (Annual)
Instructions to applicants:
Please click on the "Apply Now" button (jobs.wisc.edu, 95260) to start the application process. Applicants will be asked to upload a resume and cover letter outlining relevant qualifications and experience. Pay will be based on experience and qualifications.
Additional Link: Full Position Details
NOTE: A Period of Evaluation will be Required
The University of Wisconsin is an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer.
The Annual Security and Fire Safety Report contains current campus safety and disciplinary policies, crime statistics for the previous 3 calendar years, and on-campus student housing fire safety policies and fire statistics for the previous 3 calendar years. UW-Madison will provide a paper copy upon request; please contact the University of Wisconsin Police Department.
Advertised: Jul 10 2018 Central Daylight Time
Application Close: Aug 7 2018 11:55 PM Central Daylight Time