Hyde Park Campus
14321 Becker Friedman Institute
About the Unit
The Becker Friedman Institute for Economics (BFI) works with the Chicago Economics community to turn its evidence-based research into real-world impact. BFI takes a unique approach to bridging the divide between academic researchers and decision-makers in the business community and government by translating and packaging the rigorous work of the Chicago Economics community into accessible formats, and proactively sharing those findings with relevant decision-makers and thought leaders around the globe. BFI is a collaborative platform serving the University of Chicago Booth School of Business, the Kenneth C. Griffin Department of Economics, the Harris School of Public Policy, and the Law School. For more information visit https://bfi.uchicago.edu.
The Communications Associate will play a crucial role in the Becker Friedman Institute's (BFI's) communications and events team's development and implementation of communications and marketing strategies, including public relations, brand management, event publicity, community engagement efforts, social media campaigns. The position requires a knowledge of and passion for communications and marketing, the ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously, and the desire to be part of a fast-moving and well-connected team. This position reports to BFI's Senior Director of Policy, Communications & External Affairs.
- Works with the Senior Director of Policy, Communications & External Affairs and other members of the communications and events teams in the development and execution of an organization-wide communications and marketing plan.
- Plays key role in content, design and management of the BFI website.
- Handles organization of BFI contact database and produces monthly email newsletters, among other audience outreach.
- Supports the development and production of event marketing and communications materials.
- Executes BFI's social media strategy.
- Assists in strategic engagement with students, alumni, partners and community members.
- Assists in BFI data gathering project, including data management and analysis.
- Assists in event staffing.
- Exceptional time management and organizational skills including the ability to meet external and internal deadlines is required.
- Knowledge of communications best practices including website development, social media, data maintenance, and email marketing.
- Knowledge of Word Press is required.
- Experience in production of marketing and communication materials; website coding and graphic design experience preferred.
- A working knowledge of Microsoft Office as well as social media.
- Entrepreneurial, creative thinking about how to improve BFI's communications and outreach efforts.
- Proven ability to be a valuable part of a team.
- Strong copyediting skills.
- General interest in public policy.
- Bachelor's degree required, preferably in journalism, public relations, marketing, English or related field.
- 2-3 years work experience in communications field preferred.
- Cover Letter
NOTE: When applying, all required documents MUST be uploaded under the Resume/CV section of the application
Depends on Qualification
Scheduled Weekly Hours
Job is Exempt?
Drug Test Required?
Does this position require incumbent to operate a vehicle on the job?
Health Screen Required?
Remove from Posting On or Before
The University of Chicago is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity/Disabled/Veterans Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national or ethnic origin, age, status as an individual with a disability, protected veteran status, genetic information, or other protected classes under the law. For additional information please see the University's Notice of Nondiscrimination.
Staff Job seekers in need of a reasonable accommodation to complete the application process should call 773-702-5800 or submit a request via Applicant Inquiry Form.
The University of Chicago's Annual Security & Fire Safety Report (Report) provides information about University offices and programs that provide safety support, crime and fire statistics, emergency response and communications plans, and other policies and information. The Report can be accessed online at: http://securityreport.uchicago.edu. Paper copies of the Report are available, upon request, from the University of Chicago Police Department, 850 E. 61st Street, Chicago, IL 60637.
The University of Chicago is an urban research university that has driven new ways of thinking since 1890. Our commitment to free and open inquiry draws inspired scholars to our global campuses, where ideas are born that challenge and change the world.
We empower individuals to challenge conventional thinking in pursuit of original ideas. Students in the College develop critical, analytic, and writing skills in our rigorous, interdisciplinary core curriculum. Through graduate programs, students test their ideas with UChicago scholars, and become the next generation of leaders in academia, industry, nonprofits, and government.
To learn more about the university click here http://www.uchicago.edu/