Learning Content Writer
The Center for Applied Learning Science (CALS) at WGU develops habit-forming learning applications leading to educational attainment and life-long success. We learn how to help people learn. Leveraging advances in cognitive and behavioral sciences and emerging technology, the Center fosters innovation from idea through incubation, continuously improving student learning at WGU and beyond.
The CALS learning content writer engages WGU students through well-crafted communication, understanding how to best connect with and persuade readers. The successful candidate is passionate about simplifying complexity and delighting learners as they grow in understanding and confidence.
The writer works closely with subject matter experts and applies research-informed strategies and practices to ensure learner comprehension and engagement.
This position will work with a team versed in learning design, rich media, front- and back-end development, and assessment, to craft world-class eLearning. The learning content writer exhibits the highest level of expertise and knowledge in written communication for learning and soft-skill development as well as script-writing for animation, video, and audio content.
Essential Functions and Responsibilities
- Writer and editor for a cross-functional, agile team developing engaging, effective learning experiences
- Crafts lessons and modules achieving robust student outcomes in both academic courses and soft-skill development
- Writes scripts for animation, video and audio content
- Author items for surveys, student practice, and formative and summative assessment
- Crafts text for UI elements such as buttons, menus, and prompts
- Edits and proofs the team’s externally-facing content for tone and correctness
- Understands WGU’s student body and writes appropriately for the audience
- Rapidly drafts multiple possible approaches for usability testing, AB testing, iterating based on feedback
- Works closely with subject matter experts to accurately translate jargon and complex ideas into well-structured audience-appropriate learning content
- Works closely with learning experience designer to ensure content aligns with learning strategy
- Ensures content is on time and meets standards of quality, including accuracy, tone, grammar, and spelling
- Collaborates with peers to apply and drive best-practice learning content development
- Stays current with trends and research in content best practices, including learning science, UI, and behavioral economics
- Reviews student feedback and provides recommendations for content improvements
- Models leadership and professionalism
- Develops and maintains a collaborative relationship with all appropriate internal and external stakeholders
- Fulfills other duties as assigned
- Experience writing online content, including eLearning, marketing or other related field requiring both communication of information with a call to action
- Produces high-quality writing defined as: accurate, well-structured, grammatically correct, and free from errors
- Produces engaging writing defined as: clear, concise, compelling, tonally and audience appropriate, and memorable
- Ability to take feedback and iterate toward improved learning and engagement
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Ability to work collaboratively and creatively in a fast-paced, agile environment
- Strong attention to detail and a feeling of pride and ownership over the quality of our learning experience
Salt Lake City, Utah, United States