Math Emporium Instructional Assistant - Leesburg, Part-time, Temporary
Please Note: This is an open continuous applicant pool. Submitting an application does not guarantee an interview or employment. Positions will be filled by the department on an as needed basis.
Provide instructional support services for students, Faculty and Math Emporium Coordinator in the LSSC Math Emporiums. Responsible for demonstrating LSSC's core value of Service Excellence; respect, competence, responsiveness, and collaboration, in all interactions.
Position reports to: Math Emporium Coordinator
- Assist students in improving academic achievement through providing one-on-one math tutoring for students in the Math Emporium
- Provide general assistance to students in the Math Emporium
- Assist students with MyMathLab software, including, but not limited to registration, password problems, navigation, submission of work, and the location of their personal grade book
- Assist students with resolving computer problems, including contacting the Math Emporium Coordinator and/or IT Math Emporium Computer Technicians
- Encourage students to develop confidence and to become more independent learners
- Maintain an attitude and environment conducive to learning
- Work cooperatively with the Math Emporium Coordinator, Math Emporium Peer Assistants, Faculty, staff, and students
- Maintain competence in assigned and related areas
- Follow proper end-of-day procedures, including assuring that computers and monitors are powered down at the end of the day
- Maintain and submit accurate time sheets
- Follow all Math Emporium rules and guidelines
- Attend in-service training workshops
- Perform other duties as assigned
EDUCATION: A minimum of Associate's Degree to include Calculus or Bachelor's Degree or higher in mathematics, statistics, education, or other related field.
EXPERIENCE: One year teaching or tutoring experience, preferably in math.
- Current knowledge of Math Emporium course curriculum
- Genuine interest in helping students achieve math success
- Excellent customer service through the ability to assist students, the Math Emporium Coordinator , Peer Assistants, Faculty, and staff
- Ability to effectively and professionally communicate with students
- Excellent interpersonal, verbal and non-verbal skills
- Exhibits computer proficiency
- Ability to act as a champion for student math success and Math Emporium success
Financial Accountability: Direct: $0, Indirect: $0
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this job. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of personnel so classified.