DEAN, COLLEGE OF ENGINEERING & COMPUTER SCIENCE
DEAN, COLLEGE OF ENGINEERING & COMPUTER SCIENCE
Posting Number: SRGV3498
Number of Vacancies: 1
Location: Rio Grande Valley
Department: College of Engineering & Computer Science
Scope of Job:
The Dean will be responsible for setting strategic, operational and financial directions for the College of Engineering and Computer Science. The Dean provides leadership, vision and oversight of its programs, faculty and student productivity and development; fundraising and grantsmanship; external relations; and inter-school and multi-disciplinary collaborations within the University and with the external community. The Dean of the College of Engineering and Computer Science will be an advocate for the College, with a focus on the recruitment and retention of diverse faculty, staff and students with a vision and commitment to capitalize on the assets of the region including its bilingualism, bi-literacy, and bi-cultural environment. The Dean is expected to promote the global visibility of the College's programs, foster research and creativity, and work closely with leaders of the local, state and regional communities to ensure that the College's graduates have knowledge and skills to succeed in life after graduation. The Dean will be expected to work effectively with students and faculty as well as with the alumni and other benefactors to enhance the reputation of the College. Driving the College's priorities will be a robust leadership agenda that maximizes student success.
Description of Duties:
The Dean’s position is to provide innovative leadership for the College of Engineering and Computer Science and to ensure its continued development, operation, expansion, and enhancement. The Dean:
• Fulfills the unique leadership opportunity of serving as the chief academic officer of the College to enhance its academic programs
• Oversees the College’s academic and research programs, working with faculty to articulate a shared vision of excellence, and focusing on developing, expanding and strengthening excellent academic programs in the College
• Furthers the mission of the University, with a broadly delegated authority, by expanding resources, strengthening regional, national and global connections and building collaboration among College disciplines and across the University
• Increases funding for the College through philanthropy in collaboration with the Office of University Advancement. Community outreach and engagement is a critical function/responsibility as the Dean of the College
• Ensures student success in and beyond the classroom by building educational and student life programs that will enable students to become productive citizens who value and pursue community engagement
• Ensures the highest quality instruction using face-to-face, blended and online delivery methodologies
• Propels UTRGV along its path to becoming an emerging research institution. As such, the Dean must work with faculty to develop, expand and strengthen the college’s research portfolio, with a focus on increasing externally-funded research, as well as building graduate programs at the master’s and doctoral levels
• Promotes, encourages and incentivizes interdisciplinary collaborations within the College and across the colleges and divisions at UTRGV
• Develops strategies to manage enrollment in the presence of competition from other universities
• Ensures effective use of faculty, space and equipment resources while running programs across multiple locations
General direction from the assigned supervisor.
The Chairs of the academic departments report to the Dean.
Terminal Degree from an accredited University.
• Minimum of five (5) years of administrative experience at the chair level or above with responsibility for budgets, personnel decisions, performance reviews, and decisions for promotion and tenure
• An established record in teaching, research, and service at the University level that qualifies the candidate for a senior faculty appointment in one of the College’s disciplines
• Documented success in securing external funding
• Demonstrated commitment to shared governance and fostering a collegial environment
• Involvement with accreditation and a familiarity with the ABET accreditation process and/or another STEM focused accreditation
• Demonstrated commitment to or experience with gender, racial, ethnic and demographically diverse populations
At least five years of supervisory experience at the Department Chair or higher administrative level.
• Outstanding organizational and communication skills
• Demonstrated record of leadership in team building and strategic planning
• Background in developing external relationships and a demonstrated record of fund raising and complex fund management
• Established commitment to promoting excellence in teaching and learning, research, outreach, and engagement with community and industrial partners
Needs to be able to successfully perform all required duties.
Physical Capabilities: N/A
Employment Category: Full-Time
Minimum Salary: Commensurate with Experience
Posted Salary: Commensurate with Experience
Position Available Date: 07/09/2018
Grant Funded Position: No
If Yes, Provide Grant Expiration Date:
UTRGV is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer that strives to hire without regard to race, color, national origin, sex, age, religion, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, genetic information or veteran status. UTRGV takes affirmative action to hire and advance women, minorities, protected veterans and individuals with disabilities.
Special Instructions to Applicants:
How to Apply:
Greenwood/Asher & Associates, an executive search firm, is assisting The University of Texas Rio Grande Valley in this confidential search. Initial screening of applications will begin immediately and will continue until an appointment is made. Individuals who wish to nominate a candidate should submit a letter of nomination including contact information for the nominee. Application materials should include a letter addressing how the candidate’s experiences match the position requirements, a curriculum vitae or resume and five references. Submission of materials as PDF attachments is strongly encouraged.
Confidential inquiries, nominations, and application materials should be directed to:
Jan Greenwood or Betty Turner Asher, Partners Joe Stanley, Executive Search Consultant
Greenwood/Asher & Associates, Inc.
42 Business Centre Drive, Suite 206 Miramar Beach, Florida 32550
Phone: 850-650-2277 / Fax: 850-650-2272
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org Email: email@example.com Email:
UTRGV is a distributed location institution and working location is subject to change based on need.
All UTRGV employees are required to have a criminal background check (CBC). Incomplete applications will not be considered.
Substitutions to the above requirements must have prior approval from the Chief Human Resources Officer.
To apply, visit https://careers.utrgv.edu/postings/18577