DEAN, COLLEGE OF SCIENCES
DEAN, COLLEGE OF SCIENCES
Posting Number: SRGV3496
Number of Vacancies: 1
Location: Rio Grande Valley
Department: College of Sciences
Scope of Job:
The University of Texas Rio Grande Valley (UTRGV) seeks an experienced and innovative leader to serve as the Dean of the College of Sciences. The Dean is the academic and administrative leader of the College of Sciences. This person reports directly to the Executive Vice President for Academic Affairs, Student Success, and P-16 Integration and also works closely with the Executive Vice President for Research, Graduate Studies, and New Program Development. UTRGV invites candidates with comprehensive academic administrative experience, who demonstrate a record of accomplishment in research, as well as success leading efforts devoted to undergraduate and graduate retention and completion, developing externally-funded research programs, developing faculty for teaching, developing undergraduate and graduate degree programs, and ensuring student success.
Description of Duties:
The chief purpose of this position will be to provide innovative leadership for the College of Sciences (COS) and to ensure its continued development, operation, expansion, and enhancement. The dean:
• Serves as the chief academic and administrative leader for the COS that includes Biology, Chemistry, Physics, the School of Mathematical and Statistical Sciences, and the School of Earth, Environmental, and Marine Sciences;
• Collaborates with University leaders, faculty and staff to develop our shared vision as described in the UTRGV and COS strategic plans;
• Oversees the College’s academic and scholarly activities, working with faculty to articulate a shared vision of excellence, and focusing on developing, expanding, and strengthening excellent undergraduate and graduate academic programs in the College;
• Oversees the College faculty in the development of policies governing its academic programs;
• Builds an organizational culture of collegial teamwork and cultivates faculty development.
• Fosters an educational climate that promotes and celebrates diversity;
• Prepares and manages annual budgets for effective allocation within the College;
• Pursues revenue growth through development, grants and contracts, and professional development programs for the advancement of College resources;
• Expands and strengthens liaisons with domestic and international educational institutions to assess, develop and manage innovative academic programs and curriculum development;
• Promotes student success in collaboration with department chairs and faculty to ensure timely progression and completion of degree programs that prepare them for success in a dynamic global society;
• Furthers the mission of the University by expanding external resources, strengthening regional, national and global connections and nurturing collaboration amongst Colleges across the University;
• Increases funding for the College through philanthropy in collaboration with the Office of University Advancement as community outreach and engagement is a critical function/responsibility; and,
• Strengthens the College’s research portfolio, focusing on externally-funded faculty research, to address local and global challenges and improve life in the Rio Grande Valley area and beyond.
General direction from the assigned supervisor.
The Chairs of the academic departments report to the Dean.
Terminal Degree from an accredited University.
• Minimum of five (5) years of administrative experience at the chair level or above with responsibility for budgets, personnel decisions, performance reviews, and decisions for promotion and tenure;
• Established record of scholarship, teaching, and service that qualifies the candidate for a senior faculty appointment in one of the College’s disciplines; • Evidence of past effectiveness in responding to the educational needs of an urban, multicultural population; • Documented record of securing external funding; • Proven experience in multidisciplinary ventures; and, • Demonstrated commitment to the University’s core values of integrating scholarly research, teaching and service to develop students’ talents and prepare them for success in a dynamic global society. Preferred Qualifications
• Proven leadership and management skills in developing and working with teams as well as developing successful partnerships with faculty, staff, students and external constituents;
• Ability to communicate in a pragmatic and collegial way;
• Demonstrated support for student success initiatives;
• Proven success with externally-funded research grants; and,
• Proven ability to integrate multiple departments.
At least five years of supervisory experience at the Department Chair or higher administrative level.
Needs to be able to successfully perform all required duties.
Physical Capabilities: N/A
Employment Category: Full-Time
Minimum Salary: Commensurate with Experience
Posted Salary: Commensurate with Experience
Position Available Date: 07/09/2018
Grant Funded Position: No
If Yes, Provide Grant Expiration Date:
UTRGV is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer that strives to hire without regard to race, color, national origin, sex, age, religion, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, genetic information or veteran status. UTRGV takes affirmative action to hire and advance women, minorities, protected veterans and individuals with disabilities.
Special Instructions to Applicants:
How to Apply:
Greenwood/Asher & Associates, an executive search firm, is assisting The University of Texas Rio Grande Valley in this confidential search. Initial screening of applications will begin immediately and will continue until an appointment is made. Individuals who wish to nominate a candidate should submit a letter of nomination including contact information for the nominee. Application materials should include a letter addressing how the candidate’s experiences match the position requirements, a curriculum vitae or resume and five references. Submission of materials as PDF attachments is strongly encouraged. Confidential inquiries, nominations, and application materials should be directed to:
Jan Greenwood or Betty Turner Asher, Partners
Amanda Bostick, Executive Search Consultant
Greenwood/Asher & Associates, Inc.
42 Business Centre Drive, Suite 206
Miramar Beach, Florida 32550
Phone: 850-650-2277 / Fax: 850-650-2272
UTRGV is a distributed location institution and working location is subject to change based on need.
All UTRGV employees are required to have a criminal background check (CBC). Incomplete applications will not be considered.
Substitutions to the above requirements must have prior approval from the Chief Human Resources Officer.
To apply, visit https://careers.utrgv.edu/postings/18554