PART-TIME TEMPORARY INSTRUCTOR – ASSISTANT MEN’S BASKETBALL COACH
El Camino College
PART-TIME TEMPORARY INSTRUCTOR – ASSISTANT MEN’S BASKETBALL COACH - PE
Division: HEALTH SCIENCES & ATHLETICS
Close Date: 7/30/18
Complete job description and application available online at: https://elcamino.igreentree.com/css_academic
The El Camino Community College District is now accepting applications for anticipated part-time faculty positions in Kinesiology/physical education. Instruction will be in kinesiology and physical education courses with emphasis in athletics, men's basketball and activity.
Faculty job responsibilities include the coaching responsibilities in men's basketball under the direction of the head coach, athletic director and division dean and assessment of learning outcomes to improve teaching and learning in achieving El Camino College’s mission of institutional effectiveness, quality educational programs, and vibrant student support services.
Master's degree in physical education, exercise science, education with an emphasis in physical education, kinesiology, physiology of exercise, or adaptive physical education; OR
Bachelor's in any of the above AND Master's in any life science, dance, physiology, health education, recreation administration, or physical therapy; OR
The equivalent - Candidates not possessing the required qualification(s) as stated on this announcement, must complete the Request For Equivalency Form as part of the application process to explain in detail how their qualifications are equivalent to those above; OR
Valid California community college credential in appropriate subject (per California Education Code 87355 issued prior to July 1, 1990); AND
Sensitivity to and understanding of diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, and ethnic backgrounds of college students, and of individuals with disabilities.
• Provide instruction, mentoring, and coaching to student athletes in the skills, techniques, and competitive strategies necessary for individual and team achievement of athletic standards of performance; evaluate individual and team performance and refine individual and team strategies throughout the season.
• Assist in planning and scheduling competitions, tournaments, and events in collaboration with coaches within and outside of the conference and in concert with academic schedules, District policy, and California Community College Commission on Athletics (CCCAA)/Western State Conference regulations; distribute schedules to student-athletes, department personnel, and campus media personnel; collect and report subject sport statistics.
• Establish and maintain safety standards to protect student-athletes, equipment, materials, and facilities; demonstrate techniques of movement and body mechanics that prevent injuries; provide immediate assistance to injured student-athletes; document injuries and submit record-keeping reports as required.
• Create a positive atmosphere for the student-athletes; support academic progress, retention, and matriculation of student-athletes through mentoring activities; refer student-athletes to support services, programs, resources, and other professionals as appropriate; maintain confidential student-athlete information.
• Assist with the recruiting process in compliance with CCCAA regulations to identify and attract promising student-athletes; provide referrals to prospective student-athletes to academic and student services as appropriate; maintain contact with prospective student-athletes and provide prompt follow-up to inquiries from potential student-athletes.
• Assist in developing the subject sport team budget and managing expenses to ensure expenditures remain within approved funding levels; recommend purchase of equipment, supplies and uniforms for subject sport; assist equipment personnel in maintaining inventory records for equipment and apparel.
• Ensure program compliance within the subject sports program with CCCAA regulations; establish and monitor effective procedures to ensure staff and student-athletes comply with such requirements; communicate the disciplinary or corrective consequences of violations as set forth in the provisions of enforcement procedures; report violations of regulations to the Athletic Director or Dean.
• Promote interest and attendance at athletic events; assist in fund-raising efforts for the program.
• Provide work direction to others.
• Perform related duties as assigned.
Demonstrated successful university, community college or high school teaching experience.
Recent coaching experience, preferably at the collegiate level.
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT
Part-time teaching assignment(s) for the 2018 fall semester, beginning August 25, 2018. A teaching demonstration will be required during the interview process. Offer and acceptance of employment is subject to verification of all information provided on the employment application, credential(s), transcripts, fingerprint results, and tuberculosis examination as required. Candidates selected for employment will be required to provide verification of work authorization in the form of a passport, valid driver's license, or other equivalent identification, and social security card.
PART-TIME SALARY RANGE
Part-time faculty members are compensated on a semester basis according to the number of class hours assigned per semester and on cumulative semesters of instruction for the District. The beginning rate is $82.62 - $105.47 (lecture), $62.62 - $79.92 (lab) per hour depending on education and experience.
Assistant coaching assignments are compensated via stipend on a semesterly basis. Additional part-time teaching is assigned by the division dean on a semesterly basis if available and qualified in that area.
Applicants must submit the following documents by the closing date:
1) Online application: https://elcamino.igreentree.com/css_academic
2) Cover letter describing how applicant meets the qualifications.
3) Resume including educational background, professional experience, and related personal development and accomplishments.
4) Pertinent transcripts (only in pdf format) as stated in the job qualifications. (Unofficial computer-generated academic records/transcripts must include the name of the institution and degrees awarded to be acceptable.) Multiple page transcripts must be loaded as ONE pdf document.
Foreign Transcripts: Transcripts issued outside the United States of America require a course-by-course analysis with an equivalency statement from a certified transcript evaluation service verifying the degree equivalency to that of an accredited institution within the USA. For information on transcript evaluation services, please visit:
5) Evidence of a valid community college credential, if applicant holds one.
Please Note: Documents submitted or uploaded for a previous position cannot be reused for other positions. You must submit the required documents for each position you apply for by the closing date. Failure to do so will result in an incomplete application. Applications with an incomplete status will not receive consideration. You may check the status of your application online.
If you need assistance, you may call 310-660-3593 Ext. 5809 between the hours of 8:00 a.m. and 4:00 p.m. Monday through Friday. Due to the large volume of calls received on closing dates, we highly recommend that you do not wait until the last day to apply so that we may assist you with questions or technical matters that may arise. Give yourself sufficient time to complete the profile, which may take 45 minutes or more. Positions close promptly at 3:00 p.m.
Closing Date: Monday, July 30, 2018 at 3:00 p.m.
El Camino College is an Equal Opportunity Employer
The El Camino Community College District is committed to providing an educational and employment environment in which no person is subjected to discrimination on the basis of actual or perceived race, color, ancestry, national origin, religion, creed, age (over 40), disability (mental or physical), sex, gender (including pregnancy and childbirth), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, medical condition, genetic information, marital status, military and veteran status, or retaliation; or on any other basis as required by state and federal law.