Vice President for Marketing & Communications
McMurry University seeks motivated, collaborative, visionary candidates for the position of Vice President for Marketing & Communications.
The University: Founded in 1923 as a United Methodist institution, McMurry University is a vibrant and comprehensive center of undergraduate education. McMurry has a national reputation for excellence and value through the achievements of its faculty, students and graduates. The University enrolls more than 1,100 students and has an average class size of 16. No graduate assistants teach courses and 77% of our professors have achieved the highest degree in their academic discipline.
Offering a diverse academic curriculum, students can choose from 45 majors in the arts, business, education and the sciences as well as our pre-professional programs in medicine, dentistry, engineering, law, pharmacy, physical therapy and others. The three-week May Term gives students an opportunity to explore a subject outside their major and the Servant Leadership Program teaches students about ethics and helps develop leadership qualities.
The McMurry commitment to academic excellence and student engagement continues to flourish. We boldly look to the future and are proud of the strategic roadmap created to take us there. Widespread enthusiasm, coupled with an across the board implementation and execution of the final Centennial Plan, will ensure that McMurry University continues to serve its students for a second century. For more information, please review the McMurry Strategic Plan 2014-23.
The Vice President: The Vice President for Marketing and Communications for McMurry University reports directly to the President and has responsibility for overall communications, research-based messaging, marketing, and branding activity. The Vice President serves as the University’s chief marketing and communications officer and is a key member of the University’s senior leadership team. The Vice President represents and promotes the University, increasing its visibility and supporting the institution’s mission, vision, and goals. The Vice President leads the development and implementation of the University’s brand vision, strategy, and public relations campaigns to attract the best students, motivate alumni and donors, and recruit high quality faculty and staff. The Vice President oversees university communications, publications, photography, web and social media, and athletics communications. In addition to leading the University’s central team of marketing and communications professionals, the Vice President provides strategic direction and coordinates marketing and communications produced by other academic and administrative units. This position is critical to supporting evening and/or weekend activities, meetings and seminars. Frequent travel is required.
- A bachelor’s degree with a major in marketing, communications, public relations, journalism, business administration, or a related field is required;
- A master’s degree and/or a professional certification in marketing or public relations is preferred. An effective on-camera presence is considered a plus;
- At least five years of experience in marketing and/or communications;
- A record of success in progressively responsible positions;
- At least three years of management experience;
- Experience in, or understanding of, marketing, public relations, media relations, digital media, news and information, video production, photography, publications, and athletics communications;
- Demonstrated leaderships skills;
- Management experience in staff development, budgeting, research, and customer service;
- Exceptional skills in communications, marketing, and interpersonal relations;
- The ability to develop and implement strategic communications and research-based marketing plans;
- Expertise in making presentations and communicating with the media, especially in a crisis or controversial situation;
- A commitment to working with multi-cultural populations and an awareness of issues affecting women and minorities; and
- The ability to develop knowledge of, respect for, and skills to engage with those of other cultures or backgrounds.
Compensation: Compensation will correspond to the experience and credentials of the candidate, and will reflect the leadership responsibilities of the position. Reasonable relocation assistance will be provided.
NOMINATIONS and APPLICATIONS: EFL Associates, an executive search firm, is assisting McMurry University with its search for this important position. All calls and inquiries should be made through the search firm. Nominations and applications will be held in strict confidence and candidates will remain confidential until the final stage of the search, at which time the express permission of finalists will be obtained before making their candidacy public. In addition, no contact to references will be made without prior approval of the candidate.
For more information about McMurry University and the Vice President role (including duties & responsibilities), please review the Position Profile. If the direct link doesn’t work in this advertisement, please go to our website at www.eflassociates.com and click on Open Positions and Higher Education.
Applications should include:
- A letter of introduction outlining the applicant’s background, and qualifications for the position. (This letter should specifically address the leadership attributes and professional competencies for this position.)
- Curriculum vitae/résumé.
- Contact information (e-mail addresses are required) for five professional references, at least one of which is a person who has reported directly to you, a second who is a colleague, and a third who is an individual to whom the applicant has reported directly.
- All documents should be submitted electronically in PDF Format through the following website: http://eflassociates.peopleadmin.com/postings/1220
- Application deadline is September 1, 2018.
- The start date will be negotiated with the candidate, preferably no later than December 1, 2018.
Confidential inquiries and nominations can be directed to:
Steve Waldron, JD
Senior Consultant & Managing Director, Higher Education Practice, EFL Associates
Direct Line: 816 945 5423 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Nominations, search process questions and assistance with PeopleAdmin (the candidate portal) can be directed to:
Ms. Angela Lilje
Project Manager, Higher Education Practice, EFL Associates
Direct Line: 816 945 5410 or email@example.com
McMurry University is committed to equal opportunity in employment and education and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, gender, national origin, age, veteran’s status, or against qualified disabled persons in employment or the provision of services, in accordance with applicable federal, state and local laws.