RESEARCH SPECIALIST D
Duties: The Gene Therapy Program (GTP) is entering a new era of unprecedented opportunity with the great potential to reshape the face of medicine as we know it. Our discoveries have set the stage for successful treatments and possibly even cures for devastating genetic diseases.
The laboratory of Dr. Jim Wilson, at GTP of the University of Pennsylvania, has been a leader in the development of innovative vector technology for close to three decades. We have emerged as the 'go-to' organization for public and private partners, who want to participate in the gene therapy space. Currently, we are positioned to lead another round of vector innovation and establish pre-clinical and clinical proof-of-concept in therapeutic applications of in-vivo genome editing.
We are currently looking Research Specialist D, to support research efforts in discovery research.
As a Research Specialist D, you will create recombinant adeno-associated viral vectors expressing various gene products, including antibodies against infectious viruses. You will examine the onset and stability of vector-mediated expression in cells in culture. You will participate in the design of animal studies and will conduct the experiments in various animals that include, but not limited to, mice and NHP to characterize the expression and safety profile of multiple recombinant adeno-associated viral vectors. You will develop and conduct in vitro assays to determine the viral load in various tissues (e.g. lung, brain, liver) of animal models following viral challenge. You will perform multiplex data analysis using computer programs and prepare scientific presentations as well as participate in manuscript preparation. You will be able to work independently, develop collaborations with co-workers and peers at other labs and troubleshoot as needed.
Joining GTP offers scientific professionals the unique opportunity of seeing their research go from bench to bedside and discoveries that could one day lead to cures.
Qualifications: * Master's degree in Biology, Molecular Biology, Cell Biology, Biochemistry, Chemistry or in adjacent field with strong understanding of Molecular Biology and Virology concepts and 3+ years of post-degree bench laboratory experience or an equivalent combination of education and expertise required
* Experience with Molecular Biology and Biochemistry techniques/assays (cloning, isolations, PCR, ELISA, western blot, electrophoresis, animal/colony handling/maintenance, and dissection) a must!
* Must be willing to learn new techniques involving molecular and cell biology, protein biochemistry, virology, immunology, bioinformatics, and biotechnology.
* Must have the ability to follow existing and ability to develop novel protocols and methods;
* Outstanding interpersonal interaction skills, excellent written and oral communication skills, problem recognition and solving, and organizational skills required
* Prior experience in the field of gene therapy is desirable.
Reference Number: 40-29254
Salary Grade: 027
Employment Type: Exempt
Org: DM-Gene Therapy Program
Job Family: I-Technical/Professional Research