Working Title: Outpatient Coder
Position Type: University Operational and Administrative Staff
Department: Orthopaedic Surgery Administrative Office
Posting Date: 07-09-2018
The Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, University of Virginia School of Medicine, seeks multiple Outpatient Coders to join its coding team responsible for coding and billing for 29 physicians, 16 physician assistants and its Prosthetics & Orthotics division. The position is responsible for reviewing medical documentation to code CPT and ICD-10 codes along with modifiers; submitting accurate and timely charges through the billing system; responding to queries from patients, carriers, University Physicians Group, and the UVA Medical Center; analyzing reports to improve processes; and training providers in billing documentation compliance. Prior experience in performing medical coding or other detail-oriented work within a medical setting is required. Applicants must possess an understanding of medical terminology and be able to interpret medical documentation to determine what the provider accomplished during the patient encounter. A working knowledge of ICD10, CPT, and HCPCS coding, with knowledge of third party payor reimbursement policies is required. Applicants must be detail-oriented with good organizational skills, able to manage multiple tasks in a busy environment, effectively communicate and work with physicians, staff and patients, and work with and maintain confidentiality of patient and patient account data. If not already a certified procedural coding specialist, applicants must be willing to attain CPC certification by AAPC or CCS- P through AHIMA within 1 year of hire, be willing to maintain professional certification, and keep current with changes in procedure and diagnoses coding and third-party payor reimbursement policies through continuing education.
This position is restricted and contingent upon the continuation of funding.
The position will remain open to applications until filled.
To apply for this position, visit https://jobs.virginia.edu/applicants/Central?quickFind=84990 and search on Posting Number 0623610. Complete an application online, attach a cover letter, resume/CV, and contact information for three references.
For information related to this posting, please contact Mary-Leigh Thacker, at MLT8P@hscmail.mcc.virginia.edu or 434-243-0226.
The University of Virginia is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. Women, minorities, veterans and persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
Successful Applicant must:
1. Be wlling to maintain professional certification and keep current with changes in procedure and diagnoses coding and third-party payor reimbursement policies through continuing education.
2. Have an understanding of medical terminology and interpretation of medical documentation to determine what the provider accomplished during the patient encounter.
3. Have a working knowledge of ICD-10, HCPCS and CPT coding to select and assign appropriate codes based on medical documentation.
4. Have knowledge of third party payor reimbursement policies.
5. Have familiarity with a personal computer.
6. Be detail-oriented with good organizational skills.
7. Be able to manage multiple tasks in a busy environment.
8. Be able to effectively communicate and work with physicians, staff and patients.
9. Be able to work with and maintain confidentiality of patient and patient account data.
10. Be proficient in the use of Microsoft Office (Word & Excel).
E-mail a Friend: jobs.virginia.edu/applicants/Central?quickFind=84990