Supervisor of Building Craftsmen (99427)
Supervisor of Building Craftsmen
Department - To Be Determined
University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
Under general supervision from a designated supervisor, to supervise and be immediately responsible for directing the work of employees and supervisors of skilled trades and crafts performing typical duties associated with brick mason, carpenter, cement finisher, painter, electrician, ironworker, locksmith, machinist, mill worker, operating engineer, construction laborer, pipefitter, plumber, refrigeration, roofer, sheet metal, temperature control, and others as required.
A Supervisor of Building Craftsmen typically:
- assigns, directs, coordinates, and is responsible for the work of assigned employees; responsible for completing general business reports on purchases, deliveries, maintenance, and expenditures
- responsible for monitoring and/or making recommendations for budgets, provides on-going monitoring of budget and expenditures to ensure compliance, including suggesting modifications
- requests and/or issues requisitions and work orders
- coordinates and collaborates with departmental representatives and other university/agency staff, may also be a liaison with external vendors or contractors
- follows-up on steps or phases of work orders
- schedules building maintenance, preventative maintenance and/or repair and renovation work
- requests and/or prepares estimates
- communicates with building occupants or clients on work planned and completed within assigned areas
- performs and maintains appropriate record-keeping functions
- performs other related duties as assigned
This posting is for current permanent University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign employees who are working in the Crafts and Trades.
1. High school graduation or equivalent
2. Two (2) years/ 24 months of experience in construction and building maintenance work in any one or combination of the skilled trades and crafts (performing typical duties associated with brick mason, carpenter, cement finisher, painter, electrician, ironworker, locksmith, machinist, mill worker, operating engineer, construction laborer, pipefitter, plumber, refrigeration, roofer, sheet metal, temperature control and others as required)
A. Work experience in construction and building maintenance work in any one or combination of the above listed skilled trades and crafts
B. Bachelor's degree in construction management, building construction management technology, or a closely related field.
• 60 semester hours equals one (1) year (12 months)
• 120 semester hours or more equals two (2) years (24 months)
3. Three (3) years/36 months of experience in any one or combination of the above listed skilled trades and crafts at a supervisory capacity
For more information about this classification:
Supervisor of Building Craftsmen positions are benefits-eligible civil service positions. Most positions are full-time (40 hours per week, 12 months per year). The minimum salary is $24.81 per hour.
There may not be current vacancies in this classification.
To apply, submit a Civil Service application at jobs.illinois.edu and an exam request form for Supervisor of Building Craftsmen. Documents such as college transcripts (unofficial are accepted), resumes, driver's license, professional licenses, and certifications should be uploaded to the application by the time you submit an exam request, as these documents may be required for your exam.
Do not apply if you are a current employee working in this classification. Current employees may request to be added to the Transfer List.
Please monitor your email (including spam or junk mail) for testing and other correspondence from [email protected] and [email protected].
For further information regarding application procedures, contact Staff Human Resources at 217-333-2137 or [email protected].
The University of Illinois conducts criminal background checks on all job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent offer. Other pre-employment assessments may be required, depending on the classification of Civil Service employment.
The University of Illinois is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action employer. Minorities, women, veterans and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply. For more information, visit http://go.illinois.edu/EEO. To learn more about the University's commitment to diversity, please visit http://www.inclusiveillinois.illinois.edu.
College Name or Administrative Unit: Staff Human Resources
Title: Supervisor of Building Craftsmen (99427)
Open Date: 07/09/2018
Close Date: 07/16/2018
Organization Name: Staff Human Resources Operations