Operative Crane Engineer (99405)
Operative Crane Engineer
Department - To Be Determined
University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
Employees at this level utilize a high level of skill and precision to operate heavy-duty power equipment used in construction and maintenance work, including cranes. They work under general supervision from a designated supervisor.
An Operative Crane Engineer typically:
- operates heavy-duty power equipment such as cranes, backhoes, forklifts, telehandlers, front-end loaders, bulldozers, trackhoes, and power graders, used in construction and maintenance work.
- loads and unloads coal, sand, gravel, steel, and other heavy materials with power equipment; performs below-grade excavation.
- shares techniques, methods, and best practices with Operating Engineers or other employees in the operation of heavy-duty power equipment.
- performs minor repairs and preventative maintenance on power equipment such as cranes, backhoes, forklifts, telehandlers, front-end loaders, bulldozers, trackhoes and power graders.
- performs duties consistent with the next lower level of the series.
- performs other related duties as assigned.
1. Successful completion of a recognized Operating Engineer apprenticeship program or four (4) years of journey-level operating engineer experience that includes two (2) years of below-grade excavation experience.
2. Two (2) years of experience in the operation, maintenance, and minor repair of cranes or certification by the National Commission for the Certification of Crane Operators (NCCCO), Crane Institute of America or similar accrediting body in the area(s) of Mobile Crane Operator, Overhead Crane Operator, or similar certification.
3. Possession of a current Forklift certification and a Rough Terrain certification.
4. Possession of a valid driver's license appropriate to the equipment to be driven.
For more information about this classification:
Operative Crane Engineer positions are benefits-eligible civil service positions. Most positions are full-time (40 hours per week, 12 months per year). The minimum salary is $41.00 per hour.
There may not be current vacancies in this classification.
To apply, submit a Civil Service application at jobs.illinois.edu and an exam request form for Operative Crane Engineer. Documents such as college transcripts (unofficial are accepted), resumes, driver's license, professional licenses, and certifications should be uploaded to the application by the time you submit an exam request, as these documents may be required for your exam.
Do not apply if you are a current employee working in this classification. Current employees may request to be added to the Transfer List.
Please monitor your email (including spam or junk mail) for testing and other correspondence from [email protected] and [email protected].
For further information regarding application procedures, contact Staff Human Resources at 217-333-2137 or [email protected].
The University of Illinois conducts criminal background checks on all job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent offer. Other pre-employment assessments may be required, depending on the classification of Civil Service employment.
The University of Illinois is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action employer. Minorities, women, veterans and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply. For more information, visit http://go.illinois.edu/EEO. To learn more about the University's commitment to diversity, please visit http://www.inclusiveillinois.illinois.edu.
College Name or Administrative Unit: Staff Human Resources
Category: 4-Crafts and Trades
Title: Operative Crane Engineer (99405)
Open Date: 07/09/2018
Close Date: 07/16/2018
Organization Name: Staff Human Resources Operations