Operating Engineer (99403)
Department - To Be Determined
University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
Employees at this level operate heavy-duty power equipment used in construction and maintenance work. They work under general supervision from a designated supervisor.
An Operating Engineer typically:
- operates heavy-duty power equipment such as backhoes, forklifts, telehandlers, front-end loaders, bulldozers, trackhoes, and power graders, used in construction and maintenance work.
- loads and unloads coal, sand, gravel, steel, and other heavy materials with power equipment; performs below-grade excavation.
- provides general overview and guidance, such as that relating to site safety, to other employees including other Operating Engineers.
- performs minor repairs and preventative maintenance on power equipment such as, backhoes, forklifts, telehandlers, front-end loaders, bulldozers, trackhoes, and power graders.
- may receive guidance on techniques, methods, and best practices in the safe and proper operation of power equipment.
- performs ice and snow removal using heavy-duty power equipment as required.
- performs duties consistent with the next lower level of the series.
- performs other related duties as assigned.
1. Successful completion of a recognized Operating Engineer apprenticeship program or four (4) years of journey-level operating engineer experience that includes two (2) years of below-grade excavation experience.
2. Possession of a current Forklift certification and a Rough Terrain certification.
3. Possession of a valid driver's license appropriate to the equipment to be driven.
For more information about this classification:
Operating Engineer positions are benefits-eligible civil service positions. Most positions are full-time (40 hours per week, 12 months per year). The minimum salary is $40.00 per hour.
There may not be current vacancies in this classification.
To apply, submit a Civil Service application at jobs.illinois.edu and an exam request form for Operating Engineer. Documents such as college transcripts (unofficial are accepted), resumes, driver's license, professional licenses, and certifications should be uploaded to the application by the time you submit an exam request, as these documents may be required for your exam.
Do not apply if you are a current employee working in this classification. Current employees may request to be added to the Transfer List.
Please monitor your email (including spam or junk mail) for testing and other correspondence from SHR-TESTING@mx.uillinois.edu and email@example.com.
For further information regarding application procedures, contact Staff Human Resources at 217-333-2137 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
The University of Illinois conducts criminal background checks on all job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent offer. Other pre-employment assessments may be required, depending on the classification of Civil Service employment.
The University of Illinois is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action employer. Minorities, women, veterans and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply. For more information, visit http://go.illinois.edu/EEO. To learn more about the University's commitment to diversity, please visit http://www.inclusiveillinois.illinois.edu.
College Name or Administrative Unit: Staff Human Resources
Category: 4-Crafts and Trades
Title: Operating Engineer (99403)
Open Date: 07/09/2018
Close Date: 07/16/2018
Organization Name: Staff Human Resources Operations