Department - To Be Determined
University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
Employees in this class perform work requiring skill in the trade of electrician.
An Electrician typically:
- installs and maintains electrical systems that operate on alternating or direct current circuits, generators, transformers, and appliances through panels, switches, meters, and circuit breakers;
- repairs motors and other electrical/electronic controls;
- repairs and maintains electrical switchboards, panels, street lights, household appliances, air conditioners, furnaces, public address systems, and other apparatus utilizing electricity or its effects;
- installs, repairs, and maintains electrical, electronic, and direct digital control systems, fire and security alarm systems, and associated electrical, electronic, and fiber optic equipment;
- performs record keeping for systems installed or maintained;
- operates equipment used for electrical construction work, maintenance work, or electrical repair work;
- may act as lead worker to other electricians, laborers, and others as assigned;
- performs other related duties as assigned.
1. High school graduation or equivalent.
2. Experience sufficient to qualify as a journeyman Electrician, with a minimum of five years of actual work in the trade, including apprenticeship or vocational training. The trade for this purpose shall include work normally performed by Electricians i.e. installing, maintaining, and/or repairing electrical systems, generators, transformers, motors and other electrical/electronic controls, electrical switchboard and other apparatus utilizing electricity, electrical, electronic and direct digital control systems, fire and alarm systems, and associated electrical, electronic, and fiber optic equipment.
For more information about this classification:
Electrician positions are benefits-eligible civil service positions. Most positions are full-time (40 hours per week, 12 months per year). The minimum salary is $40.16 per hour.
There may not be current vacancies in this classification.
To apply, submit a Civil Service application at jobs.illinois.edu and an exam request form for Electrician. Documents such as college transcripts (unofficial are accepted), resumes, driver's license, professional licenses, and certifications should be uploaded to the application by the time you submit an exam request, as these documents may be required for your exam.
Do not apply if you are a current employee working in this classification. Current employees may request to be added to the Transfer List.
Please monitor your email (including spam or junk mail) for testing and other correspondence from SHR-TESTING@mx.uillinois.edu and email@example.com.
For further information regarding application procedures, contact Staff Human Resources at 217-333-2137 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
The University of Illinois conducts criminal background checks on all job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent offer. Other pre-employment assessments may be required, depending on the classification of Civil Service employment.
The University of Illinois is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action employer. Minorities, women, veterans and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply. For more information, visit http://go.illinois.edu/EEO. To learn more about the University's commitment to diversity, please visit http://www.inclusiveillinois.illinois.edu.
College Name or Administrative Unit: Staff Human Resources
Category: 4-Crafts and Trades
Title: Electrician (99367)
Open Date: 07/09/2018
Close Date: 07/16/2018
Organization Name: Staff Human Resources Operations