Construction Laborer (99362)
Department - To Be Determined
University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
Employees at this level of the series perform physical labor on construction and maintenance work where some skill and experience are required. They work under direct supervision of a Construction Laborer Sub-Foreman, Construction Laborer Foreman or other designated supervisor.
A Construction Laborer typically:
- cleans and prepares construction sites to eliminate possible hazards (e.g., measures, marks, and records openings and distances to lay out areas where construction work will be performed)
- erects and disassembles scaffolding, shoring, braces, traffic barricades, ramps, and other temporary structures
- handles brick and block, mixes mortar, and stocks necessary masonry materials as required
- digs and levels concrete beds, builds concrete forms for outside construction, pours and levels concrete, strips and removes forms, and cleans area when work is finished
- assists in the repair and replacement of sewer lines; rods, brushes, and flushes lateral and side sewer lines
- assists in excavation work by hand digging ditches or trenches, backfilling excavations, breaking out concrete or asphalt, compacting and leveling earth to grade specifications, and shoring and bracing underground excavation
- assists the crafts by hauling materials to job sites and cleaning debris from work site
- signals equipment operators to facilitate alignment, movement, and adjustment of machinery, equipment, and materials
- performs miscellaneous duties (such as placing barricades, installing sign posts, wrecking for remodeling projects, laying and leveling of asphalt, and drilling holes in concrete, and controlling traffic around work zones as directed)
- performs other related duties as assigned.
One (1) year of experience in the use of tools and equipment commonly used by laborers in the construction trade (examples of tools and equipment may include air hammer, concrete saw, and patent scaffolding, trench digging equipment, etc., and experience should include knowledge of asbestos removal/handling)
For more information about this classification:
Construction Laborer positions are benefits-eligible civil service positions. Most positions are full-time (40 hours per week, 12 months per year). The minimum salary is $29.06 per hour.
There may not be current vacancies in this classification.
To apply, submit a Civil Service application at jobs.illinois.edu and an exam request form for Construction Laborer. Documents such as college transcripts (unofficial are accepted), resumes, driver's license, professional licenses, and certifications should be uploaded to the application by the time you submit an exam request, as these documents may be required for your exam.
Do not apply if you are a current employee working in this classification. Current employees may request to be added to the Transfer List.
Please monitor your email (including spam or junk mail) for testing and other correspondence from SHR-TESTING@mx.uillinois.edu and firstname.lastname@example.org.
For further information regarding application procedures, contact Staff Human Resources at 217-333-2137 or email@example.com.
The University of Illinois conducts criminal background checks on all job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent offer. Other pre-employment assessments may be required, depending on the classification of Civil Service employment.
The University of Illinois is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action employer. Minorities, women, veterans and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply. For more information, visit http://go.illinois.edu/EEO. To learn more about the University's commitment to diversity, please visit http://www.inclusiveillinois.illinois.edu.
College Name or Administrative Unit: Staff Human Resources
Category: 4-Crafts and Trades
Title: Construction Laborer (99362)
Open Date: 07/09/2018
Close Date: 07/16/2018
Organization Name: Staff Human Resources Operations