Research Specialist I
Requisition # 2018-8989
Department Princeton Neuroscience Inst
Category Research and Laboratory
Full-Time / Part-Time Full-Time
The Buschman Lab at Princeton University is looking for an experienced research technician to work as a full-time Research Specialist. The individual will manage daily operations for the laboratory and participate in research projects. We use a wide range of experimental neuroscience techniques, including electrophysiological, optical, genetic, and behavioral approaches to study the neural circuits underlying complex, cognitive behaviors. This is a one-year term position with the possibility of renewal, starting immediately.
Primary responsibilities will be to support research projects, including assisting with surgical procedures and managing the animal colony (in close collaboration with the veterinary staff). Additional responsibilities include training animals on behavioral tasks and collecting and analyzing data.
Secondary responsibilities include: maintaining and ordering lab supplies/equipment; maintaining animal and EHS & biosafety protocols and working closely with the PI to manage day-to-day operations of the lab.
- A bachelor's degree in neuroscience, biology, physics, math, computer science or a related field is required.
- Must have research experience, including familiarity with at least one approach used in the laboratory (but more than one is a plus): animal husbandry, behavioral techniques, electrophysiology, optogenetics, imaging, or computational techniques.
- Basic computer skills are required.
- Must have excellent references that highlight the candidate's research experience, their organization skills, and their willingness to work as part of a research team.
- Scientific curiosity and strong critical thinking and troubleshooting skills are highly desirable.
- Preferred candidates will have extensive research and animal husbandry experience (> 2 years).
- In particular, previous experience with non-human primates is highly desirable.
- Strong computer and analytical skills, including programming skills, are considered a significant plus.
- This position is subject to the University's background check policy.
Princeton University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. EEO IS THE LAW
Standard Weekly Hours
Eligible for Overtime
Essential Services Personnel (see policy for detail)
Physical Capacity Exam Required
Valid Driver's License Required
Connect With Us! Join our Talent Network to receive updates about working at Princeton.
Princeton University job offers are contingent upon the candidate's successful completion of a background check, reference checks, and pre-employment screening, as applicable. The type and extent of background check, reference checks, and pre-employment screening may vary depending on the requirements and/or functions of the job and the candidate's current employment status with Princeton University.
Go to our careers site.