Hyde Park Campus
About the Unit
Annually named to the US News & World Report list of the best hospitals in the USA, the clinical facilities at the University of Chicago currently includes Mitchell Hospital, a 395-bed adult hospital facility, Comer Children's Hospital with 155 beds, and the Duchossois Center for Advanced Medicine, a 525,000 square foot outpatient clinic and surgery facility. In addition, a 1.2 million square foot new hospital, the Center for Care and Discovery, opened in February 2013. The Department of Radiology operates facilities in all of these locations to provide multidisciplinary care and education.
Professional and Technical Fee Abstracting and Coding - Under general direction, obtain appropriate reimbursement levels for professional services by reviewing and coding procedures, analyzing denial and rejection reports, and appealing wherever appropriate. Ensure that the professional and technical components of services are processed and billed in a timely manner, in order to obtain payments appropriate for the department. Review and abstract the patient's medical chart for services performed by attending physician(s). Assign the appropriate ICD-9 and CPT-4 codes to the services provided by the physician(s). Process charges prior to submission to UCPG. Assure that charges are submitted in a timely manner in order to meet deadlines.
Coding Integrity & Compliance
- Provide educational direction to physicians, administrators, support staff and hospital personnel as requested.
- Provide regular feedback to physicians and support staff to improve on success and reduce errors.
- Assure that physician signatures are noted on each charge ticket.
- Recommend systemic changes and work with faculty and staff members to facilitate such change.
- Participate in annual and on-going mandatory compliance training and maintain knowledge of regular updates on billing compliance regulations.
- Keep informed of changes in policy by reviewing regular Medicare bulletins and other relevant resources.
- Be knowledgeable of and continually in compliance with all federal and state health care laws, regulations, and rules (including Medicare and Medicaid billing requirements that are applicable to the employee's job duties).
- Assist manager in reviewing, correcting and appealing, as appropriate, denials for professional services.
- Review delinquent accounts and work with UCPG and Finance to obtain additional demographic and insurance information as necessary.
- Respond to inquiries and/or provide factual information to relevant callers and insurance carriers.
- Gather requests from third party carriers; supply additional requested information in order to obtain prompt payment from carriers.
- Thorough working knowledge of medical terminology validated by testing and certification required.
- Thorough working knowledge of ICD-9/10 CM and CPT-4 coding systems as demonstrated by certification through a nationally accredited body (e.g., AAPC, AHIMA) is required.
- Thorough working knowledge of federal and state regulations regarding reimbursement is required.
- Comprehensive knowledge of third party payer rules, procedures and policies in all areas of billing and collection is required.
- Expertise in decision making and accountability, creativity, and ability to recommend new procedures and implementation of said procedures is required.
- PC experience which includes spreadsheet, word processing, presentation and database software is required.
- Familiarity with electronic billing and medical records systems (i.e., EPIC and Centricity, IDX) is required.
- Knowledge of Interventional Radiology and Evaluation and Management preferred.
- Knowledge of coding required.
- Manage interpersonal relationships and interact/communicate with clarity, tact, and courtesy with patrons, patients, staff, faculty, students, and others required.
- Communicate effectively in English, both orally and in writing required.
- Ability to identify priorities and recognize and resolve/refer problems required.
- Ability to work effectively with supervision and as part of a team required.
- Use or learn a range of position-related software applications required.
Education, Experience, and Certifications:
- High School diploma or GED is required.
- Ability to work for long periods of time in a sitting position, at a keyboard, viewing a computer screen.
NOTE: When applying, all required documents MUST be uploaded under the Resume/CV section of the application
Pay Range: $21.78-$31.87
Please refer to Additional Requirement above to see the pay ranges
Scheduled Weekly Hours
024- Local 743, I.B.T. Clerical
Job is Exempt?
Drug Test Required?
Does this position require incumbent to operate a vehicle on the job?
Health Screen Required?
Remove from Posting On or Before
The University of Chicago is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity/Disabled/Veterans Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national or ethnic origin, age, status as an individual with a disability, protected veteran status, genetic information, or other protected classes under the law. For additional information please see the University's Notice of Nondiscrimination.
Staff Job seekers in need of a reasonable accommodation to complete the application process should call 773-702-5800 or submit a request via Applicant Inquiry Form.
The University of Chicago's Annual Security & Fire Safety Report (Report) provides information about University offices and programs that provide safety support, crime and fire statistics, emergency response and communications plans, and other policies and information. The Report can be accessed online at: http://securityreport.uchicago.edu. Paper copies of the Report are available, upon request, from the University of Chicago Police Department, 850 E. 61st Street, Chicago, IL 60637.
The University of Chicago is an urban research university that has driven new ways of thinking since 1890. Our commitment to free and open inquiry draws inspired scholars to our global campuses, where ideas are born that challenge and change the world.
We empower individuals to challenge conventional thinking in pursuit of original ideas. Students in the College develop critical, analytic, and writing skills in our rigorous, interdisciplinary core curriculum. Through graduate programs, students test their ideas with UChicago scholars, and become the next generation of leaders in academia, industry, nonprofits, and government.
To learn more about the university click here http://www.uchicago.edu/