Sous Chef - Dining Services-18001421
Sous Chef - Dining Services-18001421
Tufts Dining is a self-operated food service provider managing a comprehensive collegiate food service program on the Tufts University Medford-Somerville campus delivering high quality, contemporary and innovative food and hospitality services to meet the various needs of students, faculty, staff and visitors in a fiscally responsible manner. Our team operates a progressive resident dining program for approximately 4000 students as well as responsive retail services and a distinctive university catering program serving the campus community totaling 5100 undergraduates, 1700 graduate students, and 2300 faculty, staff and administrators
The Sous Chef is the second ranking culinary professional under the Unit Chef-Manager assisting in the leadership of a complex, fast paced and high volume, well-equipped kitchen. S/He will demonstrate the ability to master top quality batch cookery techniques, to develop and test recipes for quantity preparation, to authentically prepare a wide variety of international cuisines and to lead an experienced culinary team serving 3000+ meals per day. The Sous Chef is responsible for:
- preparation and presentation of a variety of hot and cold foods following standardized department recipes in quantities forecasted and planned in advance using a variety of preparation methods;
- determining daily kitchen work load, making daily job assignments and overseeing the work of all cooks and other kitchen personnel;
- evaluating finished products to ensure quality and addressing sub-quality production and presentation by analyzing problems and implementing solutions in collaboration with the unit Chef-Manager;
- working in all areas of the kitchen as needed but primarily in hot food production with focus on batch cookery;
- reviewing inventory regularly and communicating food and equipment needs to unit Chef-Manager to ensure all products and supplies are ordered and scheduled for delivery on time for the production needs;
- researching, developing, testing and adjusting recipes for all production areas;
- overall kitchen sanitation and food safety practices; keeping kitchen General Workers on task and assigning side work and equipment maintenance duties to kitchen personnel;
- coordinating and expediting food preparation from the kitchen and action stations ensuring safe food handling and on time production according to established department procedures;
- planning and executing production and presentation for assigned meals including designing and executing buffet presentation;
- taking charge of kitchen operations, ordering and Foodpro duties in the absence of the unit Chef-Manager;
- collaborating with the unit Chef-Manager to fulfill the culinary goals of the unit by facilitating the implementation of management initiatives in the kitchen and exceeding customer expectations.
- 5-7 years experience planning and preparing hot and cold foods for service and coordinating the work of a culinary crew in a restaurant, hotel or institutional operation.
- Expertise or high level of interest in various cuisines and cooking methods, quantity food preparation and batch cookery, and general culinary techniques and skills. Demonstrated mastery of all cooking methods.
- Practical experience leading a kitchen crew in a logical, efficient and fair manner, coaching and training culinary skills and techniques, designing plate and buffet presentations and developing recipes and menus.
- Comprehensive knowledge and understanding of kitchen sanitation and food safety practices and ability to enforce safe food handling guidelines.
- A team player who is willing to be held accountable for the quality of products produced by others, for meeting tight deadlines, and for contributing to the success of all kitchen and action station production.
- Speaks, reads, understands and writes in English and is hospitality-oriented and customer service sensitive.
- Must read, speak and understand English and have a working knowledge of basic math. Tufts Dining is a hospitality-oriented service provider, all employees are expected to be customer service sensitive.
- Associates Degree in Culinary Arts preferred.
- Experience in a university food service especially in a residential dining center with a top tier program.
- Experience cooking for catered events especially in a university or institutional setting with a top tier program.
- Experience utilizing computers for work and the capability and willingness to learn the Foodpro software system.
- Experience supervising the culinary work of others.
An employee in this position must complete all appropriate background checks at the time of hire, promotion, or transfer.
Equal Opportunity Employer – minority/females/veterans/disability/sexual orientation/gender identity.
Primary Location: United States-Massachusetts-Medford/Somerville
Organization: Dewick Dining
Employee Status: Regular
Job Posting: Jul 9, 2018, 2:35:02 PM