Posting Date July 9, 2018
Position Title Network Engineer
Vacancy # V-1490
Department Information Technology
Division Information Technology
Under the direction of the Director of Networking and Telecommunications for Information Technology the Network Engineer installs, configures, maintains, and upgrades all campus wired and wireless network infrastructure equipment and related security services. Performs analytical, technical, and administrative work in planning, designing, and implementing network based services and tools. Implements programs and functions that are related to enterprise security and network operations. Pro-actively audits and analyzes network performance and stability and makes recommendations for hardware and software upgrades. Works with Information Security group to assist in the development and enforcement of network-related security policies, access control lists, and threat mitigation to ensure the security, availability, and performance of network services. Performs related duties as assigned, necessary, or requested by management.
- Designs, install and configures of all wired and wireless network services, Internet connectivity, Network Access Control, and other related services.
- Works collaboratively with campus community and all departments under the division of Information Technology.
- Identifies network security threats and evaluate how to proactively take steps to minimize their impact on the campus network, either through changes to firewall rule sets, packet shaping, packet analysis, client-side mitigation or any other means.
- Manages device registration system(s) for granting access to campus network resources and monitoring systems to identify potential malicious network activity, both internal and external.
- Serve as the subject matter experts on network/security threat detection tools and services.
- Designs metrics and methods for measuring wireless performance and analyze results and propose solutions for correcting problems or improving the wireless network performance.
- Develops programs and command procedures to enhance the functionality and manageability of supported systems.
- Maintains accurate system change logs to track all device patch levels and network security policy changes.
- Evaluates program goals, operations and performance as required; develops and implements alternative procedures to improve performance and meet program objectives.
- Identifies and adheres to open systems standards where applicable.
- Perform Pre- and post-installation wireless site surveys to identify and correct wireless performance inefficiencies.
- Maintains systems and network logs to assist in identifying potential security threats or attacks/probes on IT systems and serve as the subject matter expert for the threat and vulnerability platform and metrics reporting.
- Consults with the Director of Networking and Telecommunications on the most unusual problems or policy matters.
- Maintains integrity and appropriate confidentiality in institutional and program operations.
- Contributes to the preparation of studies and reports containing findings and recommendations for the implementation of network performance monitoring, security and application software to meet the needs of the various users of MSUnet.
- Establishes and maintains effective communication and cooperative working relationships with the institution's administrators, faculty and staff, government, and private agencies in order to accomplish the objectives of the Information Technology.
- Develops appropriate communication with user community to insure transfer of operational, procedural, and policy information.
- Evaluates and recommends hardware and/or software to meet current and future needs on all supported campus platforms.
- Represents the university at conferences, seminars or meetings and serves on ad hoc and standing committees as required.
- Performs other functions consistent with the job title as necessary and as directed by the Director of Networking and Telecommunications and/or the Associate Vice President of Enterprise Technology Services
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Management retains the right to add or change job duties at any time.
Qualifications & Requirements
Graduation from an accredited university/college with a Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science or related field, or a minimum of four years relevant professional experience.
Four years of professional experience in network administration and support, preferably in an institution of higher education or other field that is directly related to the functions of the position.
- Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Knowledge of Cisco ISE, Cisco Prime, Cisco UCS, Multicast, Stealthwatch & Firepower.
- Extensive knowledge of network protocols and services including: Ethernet, 802.1Q, 802.1D, 802.1X, TCP/IP, UDP, DNS, BGP, OSPF, and LISP
- Knowledge of wireless protocols and services including: 802.11a/b/g/n/ac, RADIUS, and WPA2
- Knowledge of data communications hardware and software including: Cisco Catalyst 6807, Cisco Nexus, IOS 15.x, legacy 65xx and 35xx routers and switches, ASA firewalls and IDS/IPS services.
- Familiarity of wireless and wired analytical tools and technologies. Example: Wireshark, Fluke (AirCheck Wi-Fi Tester, AirMagnet Survey, AirMagnet Spectrum, OTDR, Linkrunner, Etherscope), Ekahau (WLAN Planning and Site Survey Suite), Metageek (WiFi Spectrum Analyzer).
- Knowledge of data, Internet and local area network security practices and procedures.
- Knowledge of middleware/scripting language Example: Python, Ruby, Bourne shell, C, Perl, PHP, and/or AppleScript.
- Ability to maintain a Best Practices approach to installation, maintenance, and security of data communications equipment in a production environment.
- Ability to establish cooperative working relationships and coordinate programs with other offices or organizations that impact on or relate to work of the program or unit.
- Familiarity with common operating systems including: Red Hat Linux, Windows, and MacOS as well as knowledge of common vulnerabilities in those operating systems and how to minimize them through proper security configuration and/or additional software.
- Experience with systems and network auditing and scanning tools such as nmap, tripwire, syslog, and nessus.
- Working knowledge of data encryption technologies.
- Ability to acquire considerable knowledge of the higher education systems and the function of institutions of higher learning.
- Ability to prepare clear and detailed correspondence.
- Ability to represent the university at conferences and seminars.
Send cover letter and resume to
(include vacancy # if above)
When creating your profile, you will need to combine your resume and cover letter into one single document (PDF or MS Word).
Organizational Marketing Statement:
Building on a distinguished 105-year history, Montclair State University is proud to be a leading institution of higher education in New Jersey. The university's six colleges and schools serve more than 19,000 undergraduate and graduate students in 300 majors, minors, concentrations and certificate programs. Situated on a beautiful, 250-acre suburban campus just 14 miles from New York City, Montclair State combines the instructional and research resources of a large public university in a dynamic, sophisticated, and diverse academic environment.
Montclair State University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action institution with a strong commitment to diversity. Additional information can be found on the MSU website at www.montclair.edu.
AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY/AFFIRMATIVE ACTION INSTITUTION