Assistant or Associate Professor of Culture and History
Position: Assistant or Associate Professor
Department: Culture and History
Closing Date: August 27, 2018
Job Type: Full-time
Job Category: Faculty
- A doctorate in history or a related area. Field of expertise is open while an ability to teach courses and do research in the University’s primary target area - Asia and the Pacific - is desirable.
- Those who are ABD will be considered.
- We seek candidates that support our mission (http://about.byuh.edu/mission) and who are committed to strengthening our students both spiritually and intellectually.
- As an educational institution affiliated with The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, BYU-Hawaii prefers to hire qualified members of the Church in good standing as authorized under Title 41 CFS § 60-1.5 (a)(6).
- Teach approximately 33 semester credit hours per year over three semesters in some (but not all) of the following subject areas:
- Field of expertise is open while an ability to teach courses and do research in the University’s primary target area - Asia and the Pacific - is desirable. Teaching in U.S. History, diaspora, Anthropology, Area Studies or languages will be a plus.
- Scholarship, creative endeavor, ongoing professional development, and university service are expected.
- BYU-Hawaii’s primary focus is undergraduate learning and teaching. The individual should be fully committed to student learning (http://about.byuh.edu/learning-framework) and may also be asked to help develop and/or teach online courses.
- The individual should be completely committed to helping prepare students to serve in their families, communities, and the Church in the Asia-Pacific area and throughout the world.
- Rank and salary dependent on qualifications and experience.
- A limited relocation expense package is provided.
- Annually renewable contract eligible for Continuing Faculty Status (BYU-H equivalent of “tenure-track”)
- Standard BYU-Hawaii benefits package for regular full-time employees.
Procedures: Please complete and submit the following by mail, fax, or email.
- Online Application Form.
- A letter of application and current vitae.
- Three letters of recommendation written specifically for this position. Letter writers must include their names, addresses, and telephone numbers and send their letters directly to email@example.com.
- Employment confidential report form (https://hr.byuh.edu/sites/hr.byuh.edu/files/Ecclesiastical%20Endorsement_0.pdf). These forms should be submitted by the interviewing ecclesiastical leader or applicant (if non-LDS) to firstname.lastname@example.org or the address listed below.
- Official transcript from the institution where last degree was received.
- Optional - A link to a 10 minute (minimum) teaching video posted online.
Starting Date: January 2019
*Incomplete applications will not be considered*
Contact: David Bybee
Associate Academic Vice President for Faculty
55-220 Kulanui Street
Laie, HI 96762
Fax: (808) 675-3329