The Learning Specialist is a grant funded, temporary part time administrative position in the Student Services Division. The incumbent reports directly to the Coordinator of Accommodative Services and is responsible for assessing and providing prescribed learning strategies for students with disabilities who are pursuing degrees career and technical programs.
- Evaluate the academic support needs of referred students through review of psycho-educational testing, one on one meetings, prescribe individualized academic interventions including learning strategy assistance and/or by connecting students with campus resources and services as needed;
- Review diagnostic and achievement testing to provide student with prescribed, individual academic strategies.
- Provide students with prescribed individual academic interventions;
- Monitor the progress of referred students and report outcomes of academic intervention to the Assistant Director of Academic Services;
- Track student attendance to one on one appointments;
- Coordinate and prepare assessment reports on student performance, highlighting student success indicators;
- Instruct students in prescribed learning strategies to referred students;
- Consult with OAS professionals, develop and facilitate workshops to help train in learning strategies.
- Develop and facilitate workshops to help cross train Student Academic Success Center staff in learning strategies;
- Participate in department, division, and institutional goal assessment activities as required;
- Assume other duties as assigned by the Coordinator of Accommodative Services,
Qualifications: This is a temporary, part-time position (15 hours week, 30 weeks/year)
- Minimum- Master's degree in special education preferred;
- Teaching experience required
- Learning strategies knowledge required
- Higher education experience preferred
- Experience working with students with disabilities required
- Must demonstrate an ability to quickly establish rapport and communicate well with students and instructors
To apply, please submit the following application materials: cover letter and resume, to http://www.sunydutchess.edu/employment
Located in the heart of New York's beautiful mid-Hudson Valley (just 90 minutes north of New York City), Dutchess Community College is seeking individuals who are passionate about the community college experience and share our commitment to student success.
As part of the State University of New York, the largest comprehensive public higher education system in the country and a winner of the 2015 HEED Award for inclusiveness, Dutchess Community College is dedicated to nurturing communities, respecting individuality and embracing diversity. The College has twice earned the Poughkeepsie Journal's Richard K. Wager Workplace Diversity Award, and encourages applications from minorities, veterans, the disabled and all others (AA/EOE).