Environmental Health & Safety Specialist
Environmental Health & Safety Specialist
Develops, implements, and monitors university environmental health and safety programs to ensure
compliance with federal, state, municipal, and Angelo State laws, rules, regulations, and policies. Programs
encompass accident prevention and mitigation, occupational safety, fire and life safety, laboratory and chemical
safety, air and water quality, hazardous materials control, waste management, and recycling.
Typical Duties/Job Duties
1. Administers environmental health and safety programs; develops and implements university policies and
procedures, monitors and documents compliance, produces reports, and consults with departments on related
2. Implements the lab safety program; develops and implements university policies and procedures coordinates,
conducts, and documents laboratory safety inspections, and assists departments with maintaining compliance
with state and federal standards.
3. Implements the recycling and hazardous waste management programs in accordance with state and federal
standards ensuring hazardous chemicals and biological and radiological materials are properly handled, stored,
and disposed of and applicable documentation/records are maintained.
4. Administers the Stormwater management program to include implementation of plans/procedures, pollution
prevention measures, site inspections, campus education/awareness, and measures to ensure water quality and
compliance with state and federal standards.
5. Provides information, training, and technical support to the campus community regarding environmental
health and safety programs.
6. Monitors and maintains records of fire and life safety equipment.
7. Investigates and documents accidents/incidents occurring on university property.
8. Serves on university committees/advisory groups as directed.
9. Performs other job related duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
· Ability to obtain knowledge of higher education environmental health and safety concepts, principles, and practices.
· Ability to obtain knowledge of state and federal regulations, standards, and codes governing occupational safety, fire and life safety, laboratory and
chemical safety, and hazardous waste.
· Skilled in conducting inspections/investigations; analyzing outcomes; identifying and prioritizing risks; and tracking and documenting mitigation strategies/
· Skilled in directing program activities to include; developing and implementing related policies, plans, and/or procedures; assessing program objectives; and
documenting and reporting results.
· Skilled in developing and presenting training materials and information.
· Ability to plan, organize, direct, and evaluate multiple programs and functions.
· Ability to interpret and correctly apply rules, regulations, and policies
· Ability to research issues, determine appropriate solutions, and make recommendations.
· Skilled communicator, both written and verbal.
· Ability to operate fax, scanner, copier, and computers to include generating documents in MS Word, Excel, and Power Point.
· Ability to operate vehicles, forklifts, personnel lifts, industrial hand and power tools, various test meters, data loggers, and calculators.
High school diploma required. Bachelor's degree in appropriate scientific field, engineering, environmental
science, industrial hygiene, or other directly related field is preferred. Two years of professional level experience
with environmental health and safety; or an equivalent combination of education and experience sufficient to
successfully perform the essential functions of the job. Must have a valid Texas driver's license and have a
driving record acceptable to the University's insurance Company. Must pass a pre-employment physical.
Angelo State University is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to promoting and ensuring equal employment opportunity for all individuals without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, sexual orientation, disability, or veteran status. In compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), Angelo State University is committed to providing reasonable accommodations to ensure equal access to employment opportunities for qualified individuals with disabilities. We are committed to ensuring that a qualified individual with a disability has the same rights and privileges in employment as non-disabled employees. If an accommodation is requested for the job application process, please contact our office at (325) 942-2168 or email us at email@example.com.