Director of Marketing Communications
Director of Marketing Communications
Position Type Regular
Department Marketing and Public Relations
Job Summary/Basic Function
Directs the department’s marketing communications functions. Must be committed to serving a diverse college community. Actively participates in and contributes to continuous quality improvement.
- Bachelor’s degree in marketing communications or related field.
- Experience supervising a creative team and managing or assisting in the management of an organization’s brand identity.
- Experience in project management.
- Equivalent related experience may be substituted for education on a year for year basis.
- Three (3) years experience as a graphic designer of collateral materials/publications.
- Three (3) years experience in digital and online marketing.
- Experience in higher education.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Knowledge of strategic messaging, marketing and branding principles.
- Skill in oral and written communication.
- Knowledge of graphic design principles.
- Knowledge of college and state procurement guidelines.
- Knowledge of the Associated Press Style Guide.
- Knowledge of new and developing social media.
- Knowledge of college policies and procedures.
- Skill in the delegation of responsibility and authority.
- Skill in the operation of computers and job related software programs.
- Skill in decision making and problem solving.
- Skill in interpersonal relations and in dealing with the public.
- Ability to develop and maintain effective working relationships.
- Ability to prioritize multiple tasks to ensure critical deadlines are met.
- Ability to effectively supervise and motivate creative staff and professional contractors.
- Ability to apply quality-based management approaches.
Posting Date 07/05/2018
Closing Date 07/27/2018
Open Until Filled No
Special Instructions to Applicants
Applications are disqualified in the first level of review if they do not meet all Minimum Qualifications listed in this job posting. (Years of experience are calculated based upon numbers of hours worked per week.
Example: 2 years of experience working 20 hours per week equals 1 year of experience.)
Relevant experience pertains to Minimum Qualifications, Job Summary/Basic Function, and Preferred Qualifications/Knowledge, Skills and Abilities described in this job posting.
ASSUMPTIONS ARE NOT MADE at any level of SFCC’s Hiring Process if information presented in the application material does not clearly address the Minimum Qualifications, Job Summary/Basic Function, and Preferred Qualifications/Knowledge, Skills and Abilities. Number of pages of application material will not negatively/positively affect your application, however, LACK OF DETAIL may.
Pay Range $43,670 - $65,506
- The work is typically performed while sitting at a desk or table. The employee occasionally lifts light and heavy objects and distinguishes between shades of color.
- The work is typically performed in an office.
- Directs and assigns the work of personnel to achieve integrated marketing solutions for the college and auxiliary entities; fosters teamwork among staff.
- Works directly with a variety of on-campus clients to develop creative solutions to complex communication issues; creates a visual identity that engages targeted audiences including potential and current students, faculty, staff, and the general public.
- Establishes and manages graphic and brand standards for the college; establishes and manages the creative direction for identify and promotional campaigns; provides leadership for the design and production of marketing communications, including strategy, conceptualization and execution; ensures that all materials effectively convey the college brand and meet brand standards, advance departmental and college strategic goals, and communicate a high-quality, creative and consistent representation of the college to internal and external audiences.
- Advises administration, management, faculty and staff on special communications projects as needed.
- Oversees job intake, assignment and tracking systems for the production of campus-wide marketing communications projects.
- Designs and directs the production of user-focused visual communications for print and electronic media.
- Manages vendor relations as they related to the production and distribution of marketing materials; interviews potential vendors, requests bids, and awards contracts; oversees and evaluates vendor performance.
- Coordinates the production and distribution of marketing materials with vendors; monitors jobs in progress, resolving technical problems, proofing materials, and ensuring deadlines are met; identifies corrective measures needed and resolves problems; negotiates resolutions.
- Manages media buying; optimizes advertising budgets; researches and analyzes potential media markets for optimum return on investment; recommends media outlets for potential advertising placements; requests vendor bids; negotiates and awards contracts; oversees and evaluates advertising performance.
- Interviews, negotiates contracts with, hires, and directs an on-call team of freelance graphic designers, photographers, writers, editors, and web content developers.
- Directs regular and custom photo shoots; photographs on- and off-campus events.
- Remains informed of new and emerging technologies.
- Manages budgets for identity and promotional campaigns, vendors and freelancers.
- Performs related duties as assigned.