Assistant Director of Finance & Administration
*Applications are accepted electronically ONLY at www.cu.edu/cu-careers.*
University of Colorado Denver l Anschutz Medical Campus
School of Medicine | Department of Emergency Medicine
Assistant Director of Finance & Administration (Business Services Assistant Director)
Position #745913 - Requisition 13553
The Department of Emergency Medicine has an opening for a full-time, University Staff (unclassified) Assistant Director of Finance & Administration (Business Services Associate Director) position.
The University of Colorado Anschutz Medical Campus ranks among the top institutions nationally in clinical care, education and research. Its 230-acre campus, designed to enhance collaboration and interprofessional education, hosts the College of Nursing; the Schools of Dental Medicine, Medicine, Pharmacy, and Public Health; the Graduate School; a Health Sciences Library; and two hospitals. Strategically located contiguous to the campus are a biosciences research park and the soon-to-be-completed Veterans Hospital. CU Anschutz offers two undergraduate degrees, 35 graduate degrees, and five first-professional programs. More than 4,000 students learn alongside faculty members who also make meaningful medical discoveries and provide expert clinical care through 1.5 million patient-visits annually. A hub for research and innovation, CU Anschutz receives over $400 million in research awards each year and has filed 1,300 patent applications and formed 53 new companies since 2002. Read CU Anschutz Quick Facts here.
The University of Colorado | Anschutz Medical Campus is seeking application for an Assistant Director of Finance & Administration. This full-time, University Staff (unclassified) position will work closely with the Chair and DFA (Director of Finance & Administration) to support the implementation of the Department's financial and strategic plans. This individual will provide high quality, creative and solutions-oriented financial support, advice and counsel at the strategic, policy and operational levels. This position will compile, review and prepare financial information to assess whether revenues and expenses are on target to meet budget forecasts for the Department and will work closely with the Chair and DFA to support implementation of the Department's financial and strategic plans. Using available resources, position will investigate discrepancies and incorporate feedback to ensure accurate financial reporting. This position will also assist with annual budget proposals and other financial analyses as requested.
This position will act as a delegate for the Director of Finance and Administration, ensuring the proper documentation is completed in a timely manner and in accordance with all University policies and procedures. In addition, this position will represent the Chair and DFA as an advocate for the Department's needs and goals.
Supervision Received: This position reports directly to Department of Emergency Medicine's Vice Chair, Finance & Administration.
Supervision Provided: Provides direct supervision to the Department administrative staff.
Examples of Work Performed:
- Provides ongoing oversight of the financial operations of the Department of Emergency Medicine and in conjunction with the Vice Chair, Finance & Administration and Department leadership.
- Works in conjunction with Vice Chair, Finance & Administration to develop and execute strategies and processes that will drive the strategic plan and vision of the organization and ensure the departmental goals, standards and objectives are in alignment with the strategic plan.
- Oversee financial contracting for the Department.
- Oversee all accounting and financial transactions including but not limited to Purchase Orders, Payment Vouchers, IN's and Reimbursement requests for the department.
- Ensure the propriety of all transactions in accordance with State, University, CU Medicine and UCH rules and regulations.
- Analyzes financial performance and communicates the performance to key stakeholders in the Department to support short- and long-term strategic planning and decision-making processes.
- Responsible for the development of the overall UCHealth and CU Medicine budget on an annual basis to align with the Department's budget process.
- Ensures practices and processes within the Department's budget and finance teams adhere to regulatory compliance requirements, and support contractual requirements and sponsor relations.
- Conducts needs assessment and planning to meet business objectives. Develops and implements improvements to maximize benefits. Develops financial metrics that reflect outcomes of improvement work. Researches, analyzes and explains financial variances and complex accounting transactions.
- Responsible for the Department's compliance with all financial policies and procedures related to all facets of the University, CU Medicine and UC Health financial enterprise systems (PeopleSoft, Concur, CU Marketplace, etc.) including electronic and paper approval and submission (i.e., POs, SPOs, University Payment Vouchers, Travel Reconciliation, Employee/Patient Reimbursements, etc.).
- Plans and executes business, operational, and clinical projects.
- Presents financial and relevant administrative reports to Department and institutional leadership, as requested.
- Act as a delegate for the Vice Chair, Finance and Administration and will advocate for the Department of Emergency Medicine's needs and goals in budget/finance, payroll and other negotiations with the School of Medicine, University, Hospitals and CU Medicine.
- Oversees all aspects of the department's grants and contracts, including but not limited to, the following:
- Compliance with Federal, State, University, and/or other granting agency rules and regulations.
- Coordination with the Colorado Multiple Institutional Review Board (COMIRB), and other internal units that regulate and monitor the department's research activities.
- Distribution of the Department's allocation of ICR revenues.
- Oversee budgets and help allocate costs for Department's educational activities.
- Administers policies, rules and regulations from federal, state, University, CU MEDICINE and other sources. Administers and coordinates regulations and standards related to business management, clinical, research and educational administration.
- Monitors educational programs to ensure compliance with institutional and national policy and procedure.
- Prepares reports for the Department or other internal and external entities as requested.
- Coordinates, plans and attends planning and management meetings, including faculty and educational planning meetings.
- Facilitates and promotes staff development and training classes, and provides orientation to faculty and staff as needed.
- Monitors performance evaluation activities for all support staff to include implementation and maintenance of the appropriate performance planning/appraisal program.
- Oversees a team of staff including managers, supervisors, support staff.
- Optimizes the management of staff relations including performance management, staff satisfaction, and conflict management. Mentors and develops front line managers and supervisors.
- Oversees Department purchasing activities, including delegation of purchasing responsibilities and adherence to purchasing policy, acquisition of capital equipment items and major capital building/renovation, and negotiation of leases.
- Serve as departmental Approving Official (AO) for all procurement activities.
- Oversees Department facilities to ensure efficiency of operations. Participates in construction and/or remodeling activities and space and equipment inventory to assist in the long range planning of facilities.
This description is a summary only and is describing the general level of work being performed, it is not intended to be all-inclusive. The duties of this position may change from time to time and/or based on business need. We reserve the right to add or delete duties and responsibilities at the discretion of the supervisor and/or hiring authority.
PLEASE NOTE: Candidates will be responsible for travel expenses related to the interview process and any relocation expenses, if applicable.
Salary and Benefits:
The hiring salary for this position is negotiable and commensurate with skills and experience. This position is not eligible for overtime compensation.
The University of Colorado offers a full benefits package. Information on University benefits programs, including eligibility, is located at https://www.cu.edu/employee-services.
The University of Colorado Denver | Anschutz Medical Campus is dedicated to ensuring a safe and secure environment for our faculty, staff, students and visitors. To assist in achieving that goal, we conduct background investigations for all prospective employees.
The University of Colorado Denver | Anschutz Medical Campus is committed to recruiting and supporting a diverse student body, faculty and administrative staff. The university strives to promote a culture of inclusiveness, respect, communication and understanding. We encourage applications from women, ethnic minorities, persons with disabilities and all veterans. The University of Colorado is committed to diversity and equality in education and employment.
- Graduation from an accredited college or university with a Bachelor's degree in Accounting, Finance, Business Administration or related field.
- Five (5) years' of experience in professional finance management.
- Three (3) years' of experience in personnel management.
- Master's Degree in Accounting, Business Administration, Finance or related field.
- Finance/accounting experience in an academic medical center.
Competencies/Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Knowledge of, and ability to apply, accepted theories, practices and principles of general management and administration.
- Knowledge of, and ability to apply, diversified financial management principles, tools, and techniques
- Knowledge and experience with complex accounting systems and processes.
- Ability to evaluate, analyze, and interpret vast amounts of data, recommends solutions, and implement the preferred course of action.
- Ability to communicate with various constituencies, both internal and external to the campus community to engender credibility based on mutual trust and respect.
- Ability to plan, organize, implement and coordinate financial and administrative activities.
- Ability to communicate information effectively and ensure successful completion of goals.
- Experience administering clinical trials.
- Demonstrated professionalism, a strong work ethic, a commitment to high standards, integrity, stability, a discriminating judgment and accountability.
- Demonstrated skills in personnel management with the ability to direct and lead a team.
Special Instructions to Applicants:Required Application Materials: To apply, please visit: http://www.cu.edu/cu-careers and attach: 1. A letter of application which specifically addresses the job requirements and outlines qualifications 2. A current CV/resume 3. List of three to five professional references (we will notify you prior to contacting both on and off-list references) Questions should be directed to: Frances Schulz at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Reference checks are a standard step in our hiring process. You may be asked to provide contact information, including e-mail addresses, for up to 5 references if you are referred to the Hiring Authority for an interview. We will notify you prior to contacting both on and off-list references.
Application Materials Required:Cover Letter, Resume/CV, List of References
Application Materials Instructions:Application Deadline: Applications are accepted electronically ONLY at www.cu.edu/cu-careers. Applications will be accepted until finalists are identified, but preference will be given to complete applications received by May 16, 2018. Those who do not apply by May 16, 2018 may or may not be considered.
Job Category: Business Services
Primary Location: Aurora
Department: H0001 -- Anschutz Medical Campus - 20353 - SOM-Emergency Medicine
Posting Date: May 9, 2018
Closing Date: Ongoing
Posting Contact Name: Frances Schulz
Posting Contact Email: email@example.com
Position Number: 00745913